Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
SpyShelter Firewall PCMag Review
red_n25.png

• Pros Keystroke encryption foils keyloggers. Warns about suspicious activities. Resists termination. Blocks leak test techniques.
  • Cons Warns about good and bad programs alike. Doesn't attempt general-purpose malware protection. Blocked suspicious actions by malware, but some ran anyway.
  • Bottom Line SpyShelter Firewall does the job it promises to, keeping your data safe from keyloggers. The question is, do you actually need that job done?

Bergo

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
May 13, 2013
Good software, light, but incompatible any AV Products!
Webroot+SpyShelter= BSOD
ESET+Spyshelter=BSOD or System process eat much CPU!
AVAST+Spyshelter= System proces eat much CPU!

Reactions: arslan ejaz
H

hjlbx

Good software, light, but incompatible any AV Products!
Webroot+SpyShelter= BSOD
ESET+Spyshelter=BSOD or System process eat much CPU!
AVAST+Spyshelter= System proces eat much CPU!

For experienced user, do not need AV when using SpyShelter Firewall...

Any way, try Avira + SpyShelter. It should work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
The combo Symantec Endpoint Protection + Spyshelter Firewall + AppGuard + Sandboxie cause no BSOD on my virtual machine, and get a 340/340 score in Comodo Leakage Test.:D

However, the lifetime license of Spyshelter is a little expensive for me.:oops:

Any way, try Avira + SpyShelter. It should work.

"Avira + Spyshelter Firewall" is a great combo.:D
I know someone has used this combo for nearly one year.
He has not got any BSOD until now.:)

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
Using SpyShelter Firewall + Emsisoft AM Combo + Voodoosheild And they are working flawlessly and one thing spyshelter is little bit difficult to use for the first time but once you learn how to use it, it provides a excellent protection

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That should act fine + its behaviour can provide more user interaction with its HIPS so likely a little complex to tweak compare to Comodo where powered by the big 3 components. ;)

M

Mr. Tech

I tried it with Kaspersky once but had very heavy system impact but as @Umbra has stated it's to simple.

H

hjlbx

red_n25.png

• Pros Keystroke encryption foils keyloggers. Warns about suspicious activities. Resists termination. Blocks leak test techniques.
  • Cons Warns about good and bad programs alike. Doesn't attempt general-purpose malware protection. Blocked suspicious actions by malware, but some ran anyway.
  • Bottom Line SpyShelter Firewall does the job it promises to, keeping your data safe from keyloggers. The question is, do you actually need that job done?

LOL... I just read the above review.

Rubenking did not know how to operate SpyShelter correctly - so he, himself, produced "bad" results. Plus he compared SpyShelter to Norton, Bitdefender, Kaspersky. He compared an anti-logger\HIPS\basic firewall to full security suites !

Rubenking made mistakes, messed his tests up, made inappropriate comparisons and then blamed it all on SpyShelter !

So that right there just proves to me that one cannot completely trust Rubenking's reviews.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
@hjlbx Would like to see a good review of this sw and a breakdown on how to properly set it up coupled with other sw that would go nicely with spyshelter. Gonna install it today on my win10 vm and take a look at it.

H

hjlbx

@hjlbx Would like to see a good review of this sw and a breakdown on how to properly set it up coupled with other sw that would go nicely with spyshelter. Gonna install it today on my win10 vm and take a look at it.

I am still learning some things about it. Future review... besides @Umbra made a review of version 9 a few years back. It is here in the SpyShelter subforum.

Technical infos on how to operate Spyshelter Firewall is key; you have to be familiar with HIPS.

Don't be put-off by very simple user-interface; it is so basic that its disk and memory consumption very low - that is an advantage - but, of course - it could use some improvements.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I am still learning some things about it. Future review... besides @Umbra made a review of version 9 a few years back. It is here in the SpyShelter subforum.

Technical infos on how to operate Spyshelter Firewall is key; you have to be familiar with HIPS.

Don't be put-off by very simple user-interface; it is so basic that its disk and memory consumption very low - that is an advantage - but, of course - it could use some improvements.
Wow been using it for 15 minutes and already don't like it lol... You are so right the gui needs so much work its hard to find what your looking for and it seems to be constantly auto setting rules on me without letting me go through the settings thoroughly... It's settings rules and I don't even have the network adapted enabled. Was sorta baffled by that. It also doesn't like sandboxie and wanted me to disable its hook protection feature you'd figure upon installation it would tell you its not compatible with sandboxie given the known conflicts. And it was kinda strange I would goto type and it would keep beeping endlessly... Not sure if that meant the anti keylogger module was protecting me or what but kind of obnoxious if that is the case... Just block the keylogging dont need to hear it... Windows10 is a keylogger lol if it beeps like that all the time while protecting you it would be endless. Jw if that is the case or the beeping is for some other reason. Another feature I didn't like about it was i sandboxed cyberfox and it wouldn't let me download a file to a certain location then it told me it would download it to the file i guess the sandbox has permissions to but then wouldn't download it to there either was kind of baffled by that as well.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Any chance you can link me to it? I keep getting endless notitications allowing things I think b/c It has anything with a digital

Wow been using it for 15 minutes and already don't like it lol... You are so right the gui needs to much work its hard to find what your looking for and it seems to be constantly auto setting rules on me without letting me go through the settings thoroughly... Its settings rules and I don't even have the network adapted enabled. Was sorta baffled by that. It also doesnt like sandboxie and wanted me to disable its hook protection feature you'd figure upon installation it would tell you its not compatible with sandboxie given the known conflicts. And it was kinda strange I would goto type and it would keep beeping endlessly... Not sure if that meant the anti keylogger module was protecting me or what but kind of obnoxious if that is the case... Just block the keylogging dont need to hear it... Windows10 is a keylogger lol if it beeps like that all the time while protecting you it would be endless. Jw if that is the case or the beeping is for some other reason.

It is designed to Allow when first installed so it doesn't smash your system.

Later on, you create tighter rules policy.

It is easy to use.

Once you practice with it, you find it is very good.

It's not asking you disable anything - it is prompting you to Allow - Deny (the hook setting) - Terminate.

Since you know Sandboxie is safe, then you should Allow and tick "Remember my choice."

You have to know about run sequences and know what is on your system and what is safe\malicious ... LOL.

User has to make all decisions.

It is good soft - it really is...

:p

Reactions: pneuma1985

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
It is designed to Allow when first installed so it doesn't smash your system.

Later on, you create tighter rules policy.

It is easy to use.

Once you practice with it, you find it is very good.

It's not asking you disable anything - it is prompting you to Allow - Deny (the hook setting) - Terminate.

Since you know Sandboxie is safe, then you should Allow and tick "Remember my choice."

You have to know about run sequences and know what is on your system and what is safe\malicious ... LOL.

User has to make all decisions.

It is good soft - it really is...

:p
Oh no I completely understand its up to you to make all the decisions and it said something about disabling its built in hook protection to allow for sandboxie. I'm still working with it right now and I'm gonna go back to an ultra clean snapshot right quick and reinstall it...

H

hjlbx

Oh no I completely understand its up to you to make all the decisions and it said something about disabling its built in hook protection to allow for sandboxie. I'm still working with it right now and I'm gonna go back to an ultra clean snapshot right quick and reinstall it...

If you don't like rule, just delete it... when application performs "suspicious" action, then SSF will prompt you again.

To delete rules - do it both on Rules and Application Execution Control tabs.

Application Execution Control tab are all the (53) - Execution of an application rules; all other rules (1 - 52, 54 - 64) on Rules tab.

H

hjlbx

@Umbra, Greetings
What firewall (paid or free) is your Fav ?

He uses BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control = graphical user-interface for Windows Firewall.

So, he uses Windows Firewall.

There are other firewalls I think he respects... like COMODO and Emsisoft - but he doesn't like all the rubbish that comes along with those firewalls.

LOL

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
H

hjlbx

PCMag's review of SpyShelter Firewall is completely inaccurate.

Well, Rubenking accurately states that "malware is allowed to run," but he didn't know which button to select in the HIPS alert (Deny or Terminate).

He chose Deny each time.

Yes. This allows malware to run, but it cannot perform the actions and is inert on your system.

Just select Terminate - and malware process is terminated.

Old Ruby didn't know the difference between Deny (an Action) and Terminate (the process) !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, if he doesn't know that simple principle, how can you completely trust his reviews ?

LOL ... Rubenking owes Datpol some money for lost sales - you know it !

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.