Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Question,
I am a little impatient, I was going to wait and install the firecudas at the same time it was in shop for the Mobo to get installed. Well I have to wait as our local guy is back scheduled.
I am wanting to install and set up the firecudas, but I have Ccleaner pro installed. Now if I follow correctly
the SSD portion of the Firecudas is to speedup frequently accessed programs, but the programs are
still written to the magnetic disc like with a HDD.
Should I just delete CCleaner ?
I think given the way Seagate is doing this that it would be ok to keep Ccleaner, but with this "hybrid"
type of drive I want to err on the side of caution.
What do you think ?

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I think given the way Seagate is doing this that it would be ok to keep Ccleaner, but with this "hybrid"
type of drive I want to err on the side of caution.
There might be some confusion here. The fact the drive is a hybrid (SSHD) drive has nothing to do with this. A hybrid drive is just a regular hard drive! There is absolutely no difference in the mechanical portion at all, or in the way data is written to or read from the drive. They use the exact same platters, drive motors and read/write heads, exact same formatting and file systems, same file and partition tables. Same SATA interface.

The only difference is a conventional hard drive uses a small bit of standard RAM memory for the drive's buffer (cache) and a hybrid drive uses faster flash or NAND type memory - the same type found in a SSD. There isn't really a SSD in a hybrid drive, the buffer just uses the same type devices.

The buffers even work exactly the same way as far as the SATA interface and OS are concerned - except the data is received by the OS (for reads) or handed off to the drive (for writes) faster with hybrid drives. A good thing.

So CCleaner does the exact same function in the exact same way on a hybrid drive as it does on a standard drive. And that includes CCleaner's Drive Wiper feature too. You wouldn't "wipe" a full SSD. But you should wipe a hard drive (hybrid or standard) if you will be getting rid of the drive. And I agree, a 35 pass delete would just put unnecessary wear and tear on the drive, regardless if hybrid or standard. A single pass is actually good enough to prevent anyone from accidently discovering and recovering any old deleted data. Three passes will stop a determined bad guy.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Whats the difference between SSD and SSHD?
A SSD is a type of storage device that uses NAND memory devices to store data. There are no moving parts - no motors, no Read/Write heads, no disk platters that spin about like there are in hard drives.

A SSHD is a hard drive. As I noted above, a hybrid drive (also called a SSHD or solid state hard drive) just uses that same NAND memory for the "buffer" on the hard drive. All hard drives have a buffer. Standard hard drives use inexpensive RAM memory devices for the buffer. A SSHD uses NAND memory devices. The buffer allows the operating system to hand off writes to drive quickly so it can move along to other tasks. Otherwise, the OS would have keep waiting until the drive writes (saves) the data to the drive.

A SSHD is used as an inexpensive compromise to a SSD, when the budget does not allow for a real SSD.

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks SHvFI,
I chose a SSHD because of the typical lifespan of a SSD is still not on par with even the
low end HDD's. As you know I had dual 1.5 TB barracuda's in play as well as 2 7yr old 1.5
TB that I employed as external storage.
For me Price was never a factor, it boiled down to longevity and reliability.
Until SSD lifespans & "Sizes" are extended I am not interested in them.
When I purchased this DigitalStorm Custom gaming system a large amount of my friends
schoffed at my passing on including SSD's when I was ordering the config, many of which
are on their 2nd and 3rd set of SSD drives ;)
@Digerati
I'm too savvy to just base what I buy on speed, popularity and trends,
and as a private contractor for BNSF I can assure you the cost was not
even taken into consideration ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I chose a SSHD because of the typical lifespan of a SSD is still not on par with even the
low end HDD's. As you know I had dual 1.5 TB barracuda's in play as well as 2 7yr old 1.5
TB that I employed as external storage.
Hi @_CyberGhosT_
This is actually not true. Typical lifespan of average SSD is about 500TB nowadays. Even if you read/write 10GB's of data on daily basis, which is less likely, it will last for 137 years. HDD is more a mechanical device in opposite of a SSD that have no moving mechanical components, HDD will fail a lot sooner than a SSD, on average.

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hi @_CyberGhosT_
This is actually not true. Typical lifespan of average SSD is about 500TB nowadays. Even if you read/write 10GB's of data on daily basis, which is less likely, it will last for 137 years. HDD is more a mechanical device in opposite of a SSD that have no moving mechanical components, HDD will fail a lot sooner than a SSD, on average.
Just hasn't been on par with what I have seen firsthand in the gaming circles I run in,
with the size limitation and limited write hours all SSD's suffer from, but you know me
I will keep my eyes and ears peeled for those 2 factors to change.
Thanks Bora

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Size limitation is also a factor to consider, yes, but I expect that SSD will come close to HDD capacity in this and the next year, and with that, a pricing equality. People are crying too much about not defragmenting SDD as it will shorten it's lifespan but the real truth is that if you really want to kill an SSD you will have a hard time to accomplish it. :) As NAND stores data by trapping electrons inside billions of individual memory cells and the cells are walled off by an insulating layer that normally prevents electrons from getting in or out, applying voltage to a cell induces electron flow through that barrier via a process called tunneling. Electrons are drawn in when data is written and expelled when data is erased. Controller can do this procedure over and over again and there's a very little chance that it will get tired.

I am using my SSD for almost two years now. I am using it as I had used my HDD previously. It's endurance and durability level tests are telling me that I have used only a 7% of it's read/write capacity. So if I continue this way and with this tempo it will eventually die in ~30 years. And it's an average/low quality asynchronous SSD from Silicon Power...

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Size limitation is also a factor to consider, yes, but I expect that SSD will come close to HDD capacity in this and the next year, and with that, a pricing equality. People a crying too much about not defragmenting SDD as it will shorten it's lifespan but the real truth is that if you really want to kill an SSD you will have a hard time to accomplish it. :) As NAND stores data by trapping electrons inside billions of individual memory cells and the cells are walled off by an insulating layer that normally prevents electrons from getting in or out, applying voltage to a cell induces electron flow through that barrier via a process called tunneling. Electrons are drawn in when data is written and expelled when data is erased. Controller can do this procedure over and over again and there's a very little chance that it will get tired.

I am using my SSD for almost two years now. I am using it as I had used my HDD previously. It's endurance and durability level tests are telling me that I have used only a 7% of it's read/write capacity. So if I continue this way and with this tempo it will eventually die in ~30 years. And it's an average/low quality asynchronous SSD from Silicon Power...
Sweet, so all I really need to wait for is a good high quality SSD that offers at least 2TB of space.
That may not be too far off from what your saying and what I am reading, fingers crossed.
Thanks Bora.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You're welcome :)
This is the best what SSD can offer for now. But its price tag is astronomic for the most of the people
SSD 960 PRO M.2 2TB Memory & Storage - MZ-V6P2T0BW | Samsung US
Found similar on Newegg:
samsung SSD 960 PRO NVMe M.2 2TB - Newegg.com
I will now track this as I am a fan of Samsung and Seagate, either one having this is
good for me. Thanks
Almost 1,500 on newegg, that's not too bad seeing you most likely wont
need to purchase again in your lifetime or mine for that matter :)

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Only issue here Bora is a 3,500$ custom gaming system, and buying drives that
are damn near equal to that in price, while I can afford it, it's hard to justify that.
Wonder if I could talk Samsung into 2,500 for a set :) seeing I never buy just a single
drive, when I buy drives I buy in sets for obvious reasons.
Either way I now have this on my radar, Thanks again Bora.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
SSD's price per gigabyte will exponentially drop over time.
This Samsung 960 PRO has a lifespan of 1.2 petabytes of data written, so I won't calculate but it will last for a long time :) I am in ideology right now that I will probably make a system that should have no more than a 250-500GB of internal SSD (M.2 preferably) for enjoying the power of it's speed. Everything else like data, backups, movies and music I will store on some 1-2TB HDD with USB 3 or 3.1 support. Connect it whenever I like and whenever I need, my data is safe and mechanical disk is not powered on all the time like internal HDDs. :) :cool:

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
SSD's price per gigabyte will exponentially drop over time.
This Samsung 960 PRO has a lifespan of 1.2 petabytes of data written, so I won't calculate but it will last for a long time :) I am in ideology right now that I will probably make a system that should have no more than a 250-500GB of internal SSD (M.2 preferably) for enjoying the power of it's speed. Everything else like data, backups, movies and music I will store on some 1-2TB HDD with USB 3 or 3.1 support. Connect it whenever I like and whenever I need, my data is safe and mechanical disk is not powered on all the time like internal HDDs. :) :cool:
I feel ya, and the massive amount of games I own is huge and growing, so I am limiting my
start size to at least 1.5 to 2TB dual drives. Now comes the waiting game ;)

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You can get it at B&H for 1300$
Samsung 2TB 960 PRO M.2 Internal SSD MZ-V6P2T0BW B&H Photo Video

But I think that this is what you need
Crucial 2TB MX300 SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD
for 550$, it's operating at SATA speeds but it's still a lot faster than a traditional HDD :)

220 TB Total Bytes Written (TBW), equal to 120 GB per day for 5 years or 12 GB per day for 50 years
Nahh, only M.2, that first one looks good, not so much on the SATA III if I am going to go SSD I want top quality
for reliability and longevity. I have a few in my watchlist on ebay and 3 bookmarked on newegg :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.