RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Soooooo, here we are again, playing the hardest Battle Royale for survival: users vs Windows 10.

Last Windows 10 Pro update (literally yesterday) broke my start menu. I click and click the menu and it will not open. Neither will anything on the task bar, like the clock, the Wi-Fi icon, the volume icon.

Everything else works perfectly fine!

Okay RoboMan, panic not! We've experienced problems before, no S.O. is perfect, let's see what we can do!

1. Let's restore the system! Oh wait, last update broke my Restore System? It won't even start. Okay let's keep moving!
2. Let's throw some commands! sfc /scannow? /chkdsk? Oh nothing helps. No worries, there's always more to do!
3. Nothing can help problems from a System Image! Oh nice, I dropped my backup HDD three days ago and never bought a new one! That's my favorite robot!

Okay, chill you old piece of metal. I've got an idea. Let's download Classic Shell and use an alternative Windows Start Menu! Hurray, this worked! Okay but the original problem isn't fixed... And any icon on the task bar is still dead..

Any ideas? :) I'm running out of oil here!

Last edited by a moderator:

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Is there no way to back out of the update? Really, all those things didn't work, maybe the android needs an update or a shot of Tequila :LOL:Seriously, you got this, your good at this stuff. :emoji_ok_hand: Post how you fixed it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Btw, I started using a software you posted some time ago called translucent taskbar four days ago, it was working well, even starting with windows and today I received two windows updates and it removed translucent taskbar, they got a lot of nerve right. Maybe if you were still using it I've given you a clue to your mystery.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you mess with your system in any way? For example, do you use 3rd party software to disable things like telemetry or Cortana?
From experience, these 3rd party privacy desktop apps tend to do more harm than good, especially after a Windows update.

If nothing works, try Reset this PC (Keep personal files). You will lose installed programs and settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I

illumination

I have found, that most times, when corruption takes place from 3rd party apps or MS themselves, that a complete wipe and clean install is the best option. Back up your personal items, wipe the drive and give it a new start. After 1803 upgrade i had issues as well, and a clean wipe corrected them all.

Upvote 0

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
I have found, that most times, when corruption takes place from 3rd party apps or MS themselves, that a complete wipe and clean install is the best option. Back up your personal items, wipe the drive and give it a new start. After 1803 upgrade i had issues as well, and a clean wipe corrected them all.

If w1n10.0s doesn't work with ThirdParty software, then it is saying us to everybody clearly without nausea the word "hasta la vista baby" "closed monopoly" forcedly in all its system, specially to the external developers, besides, to be forcing consecutively the format C: every month or restoring and restoring every time that Winup or programs fails, then isn't the best excuse that can be offered to someone who for years has paid for a service so that doesn't hinder the productivity, I don't know how they convince the companies to buy that windows, with all induced time lost to customers, then I think they already have the anger guines record, headaches and corporate networks suicides. Theyr'e encouraging to the third-party developers to give up all hope, so that they can have their way swept away.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.