• All of them

Votes: 14 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
To the uninitiated, the internet can feel like a scary place – and to some extent, it is. About four new malicious software programs are created per second according to figures collated by IT security analysts AV-TEST.

The stats might sound daunting, but thankfully you don’t have to be a computer wizard to keep yourself safe online. In fact, with a little bit of preparation and the right tools at your disposal, even the biggest technophobes can learn how to navigate the internet without putting themselves at risk.

To celebrate the start of National Cyber Security Awareness Month, we’ve rounded up our 10 best tips to help you browse the web more securely and stay safe online.

Read more here

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
1.Keep software up to date
2.Use reputable antivirus software(ESET,Avast,KIS....Emsisoft)+Backup Softwares:)
3. Email with caution
4.Browse using an encrypted connection
5.Use an adblocker(uBlock Origin,AD Guard)
6.Customize privacy settings
7.Common sense(y)
8.Never Use public WIFI.(y)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I am following 7 of this rules.
About Mobile i am using Windows Mobile and i am very careful while when i am browsing on the internet.
Also when i want to connect to a public wi-fi i am choosing some that i know that i will be a bit secure.
And i have to say that i am not staying connected for very long.
If you think this is saficient then i am following 8 rules.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
1) Good passwords ->. I never use the same password twice on different services. Sometimes modified combinations of parts of some passwords, sometimes completely different ones. Always combo of different numbers, characters etc.
2) Keeping Software up2d8 -> Not using a software updater. If a software asks to update, I'll let it do it's thing and I often look myself for updates too to manually install them.
3) Reputable Anviritus -> Using Sophos. (Nice Emsisoft ad there btw ;))
4) Emails. -> If it looks phishy, it goes straight to the bin.
5) Mobile Device AV -> Norton is installed
6) 2FA -> Not using it on every service it is available. Sometimes it is a bit devious or unhandy, but I do know it gives you more protection.
7) Public Wifi -> Only using encrypted public wifi of my isp, never using the unprotected ones.
8) Https -> HttpsEverywhere
9) Adblocker -> Aguard is my friend for more than 4 years now.
10) Social media privacy settings -> I spend less than 5 minutes a week on social media, but even for that everyting I can cover is covered.

L

Local Host

Thread author
1. Create bulletproof passwords
Keepass.

2. Keep software up to date
CCleaner is a recent example this is not always a good choice, I update as need be (exploit fixes and feature updates).

3. Use reputable antivirus software
I'm the Anti-Virus.

4. Email with caution
Emails with malware are obvious, caution always there.

5. Don’t forget about your mobile device
Windows Phone here.

6. Use two-factor authentication
Everywhere I can.

7. Be wary of public Wi-Fi
The only Wi-Fi I use is my own, outside home I use Carrier Data.

8. Browse using an encrypted connection
Everywhere I can.

9. Use an adblocker
Always.

10. Customize privacy settings
I go deep enough to find hidden settings and features few people know about.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
1. Passwords - I use long passwords that consist of made-up phrases that only make sense in my head :D special characters, upper and lower case characters and numbers included. Now I have unique passwords for different services, but I wasn't always that careful.
2. Keeping software up to date - I don't use software updater, but I check and update regularly
3. Reputable AV - recently I switched to KIS, but it's always a reputable one (Avast, Emsisoft, BitDefender...)
4. E-mail - always cautious
5. Mobile device - it's iPhone so there's not much to do there; I only use Adguard Pro combined with other safe practices
6. 2 FA - Enabled in most cases
7. Public Wi-Fi - I rarely use it, but if I have to, I use VPN
8. Browsing using an encrypted connection - whenever it's possible
9. adblocker - uBlock Origin
10. Customized privacy settings

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I voted for 8, the only 2 i don't practise are 2 step authentication & security on my mobile as i never connect it to the internet, it's basically a phone to me.

The password one was my biggest failing before i joined this site, i think i used the same 2 or 3 passwords for absolutely everything, i am much wiser now thanks to MT and it's members for sharing hints and tips and guiding me ;)

P

plat1098

Thread author
Aii, I wanted to run away, lol. The five I need to work on:

email:
I've opened rogue emails before, Curiosity, it's a bad thing at times
passwords: no manager of these, it's something to change.
2FA: yep
Browser encryption: unless keystroke encryption counts?
Customized privacy settings: I can work on those now.

Good poll, always can use a reminder or two, right? Or five.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
This is my list:
Beutler_Google_Security-practices-v6-599e1c7f079b7a7d.png

I just laught about: "3. Use reputable antivirus software"
Today AV's are breaking the SSL encryption to view if the site contains malicious content. Is Emsisoft scanning HTTPS sites too? If yes that it isn't "reputable".

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.