Windows Defender and Malwarebytes antimalware
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes antimalware
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome with Windows Defender smartscreen, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox Quantum
Maintenance tools
None
File and Photo backup
Google drive,Dropbox,iCloud
System recovery
None

Stefanmz7

Thread author
May 18, 2018
Hi! So I was wondering is there any anti-malware program that is a good alternative to Malwarebytes antimalware and is free because my Malwarebytes trial ends and I want to have good real time protection againt malware but it has to be free. Or should I just sacn my PC regularly with the free version of Malwarebytes to make sure there is no mlaware. What do you think?

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
I once bought 3 lifetime licenses for MBAM & a few formats later, it brought up the message id reached installation limits, so lifetime meant less than a year.

I cant recommend this fraud to anyone.

Try VoodooShield or SecureAPlus

Detection / Lockdown / Whitelisting

Any of those will protect you better than any Anti-Malware like MBAM.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You will surely receive more advice from more experienced users than myself, but as far as I know there is no free real-time antimalware. You may continue to use the MBAM free version as well as Zemana Free. Zemana and Hitman Pro will give you a free trial as well. You can get some real-time free help with VoodooShield here: VoodooShield™ - The User-Friendly Toggling Computer Lock.. It will protect you from malicious files executing on your system, but you will get some false positives. Hasn't been an issue with me. Easy to use!. Like yourself, I use Windows Defender, but alongside VoodooShield. If you have safe surfing habits you should be fine.

Edit:
You don't need the Google SmartScreen extension as you're already using WD.
You may easily add this as well to use Windows Defender to its maximum benefit: AndyFul/ConfigureDefender

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I would probably keep Malwarebytes free for on-demand scans. As others have mentioned you can also add Norton Power Eraser and Emsisoft Emergency Kit for on-demand scans as well. Depending on your experience you can also look into adding Voodooshield and OS Armor as companions to WD. They function differently than Malwarebytes, but they offer great protection as a companion to any AV. Best of all you can get both for free. Another great suggestion is to use Configure Defender to further strengthen WD. Another option to consider would be to switch out WD for either Avast, Avira, Kaspersky free, or Bitdefender free if you don't feel comfortable running WD by its self. Another option that just came to me as I was typing this would be to add Comodo Firewall free with CS settings, that will really sure up your real-time protection.

There are some great free real-time options, I would suggest giving some of these a try!

Last edited by a moderator:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
The only "free" Real Time anti malware out there is XVirus Anti-Malware. Can be used alongside an AV too, but the program is ok at best. You're best off using Zemana, MBAM free et al.

Other items I would consider using:
  • Adding Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper as a backup/imaging solution
  • Maybe add Revo Uninstaller, BleachBit & Syshardener as System Utilities.
  • Add Privacy Possum, uBlock & Scriptsafe extensions for Chrome
  • Add Cookie Autodelete, Scriptsafe, uBlock Origin, Decentraleyes & Avira Browser Safety to FireFox
  • Maybe add adwcleaner & Norton Power Eraser
  • Consider maybe adding NVT OSArmor 1.3 as well
~LDogg

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Also provides Automatic Updates as well. As for stopping threats, I've used it personally and may no be that good. If you wish to use it, works well with your config and your system, use it.

~LDogg

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I personally don't use second opinion scanners anymore. Seems a little archaic and paranoid. Malware is not as prevalent as it use to be during the Windows XP and 7 days for home users. One thing I do use and like is Virus Total Up-loader. A quick right click and submit will give me a quick second opinion. Just how I do things, nothing wrong with second opinion scanners. ;)

I use to make a killing cleaning up malware/pua. Now I'm broke in that regard lol.

Last edited:

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
I personally don't use second opinion scanners anymore. Seems a little archaic and paranoid. Malware is not as prevalent as it use to be during the Windows XP and 7 days for home users. One thing I do use and like is Virus Total Up-loader. A quick right click and submit will give me a quick second opinion. Just how I do things, nothing wrong with second opinion scanners. ;)

I use to make a killing cleaning up malware/pua. Now I'm broke in that regard lol.
Yup,

I use a combo of VoodooShield & Sandboxie as my protection, its crazy light & IMO far more secure than any popular more expensive security suite.

I do however still have HitmanPro (its actually a HitmanPro.Alert license) as a On-Demand scanner as ive used it since the day it was created & its never let me down.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Stefanmz7: please kindly consider:
  • You may add OSArmor to Your current Real-Time protection (WD + MWB), to enhance prevention.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, not only in cloud.
  • As for "Web Privacy", You may add some browser extensions for FireFox Quantum: uBlock Origin, NoScript or SctiptSafe, also VPN service.
  • A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.
  • Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks.
Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.