SterJo NetStalker+ESET NOD32 AV+Heimdal Pro+SUPERAntiSpyware+VS - Good enough?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What do you think of the below combo?

1) SterJo NetStalker Firewall
- Simple FW and network monitoring tool for incoming/outgoing filtering/monitoring

2) ESET NOD32 AV
- AV – protect against virus, worms, trojans, spyware, rookits, ransomware
- HIPS
- PUP/PUA protection
- Auto USB scan
- Exploit Protection
- Script-based Protection

3) HEIMDAL PRO
- Advanced threats - Against ransomware, APTs, exploit kits, financial Trojans and data-stealing malware, botnets, zero-hour exploits
- SSL/HTTPS/HTTP/DNS filtering - Phishing links, legitimate websites hacked to distribute malware, infected online ads, rogue software updates, blocks outgoing malware to communicate with C&C server

4) SUPERAntiSpyware Pro (to complement ESET NOD32 AV during online/offline)
- Protects against spyware, Adware and Remove Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products and many other types of threats.

5) Edit : Add VoodooShield

This combo lacks of network attack protection against arp spoofing, DDoS etc

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
You can eliminate SUPERAntiSpyware. :)

For me, it would be better to upgrade to ESET Internet Security. You would get a firewall and IDS, which would probably prevent what you wrote in the last paragraph.

ESET Internet Security + Heimdal PRO would be a good combo. :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You can eliminate SUPERAntiSpyware. :)

For me, it would be better to upgrade to ESET Internet Security. You would get a firewall and IDS, which would probably prevent what you wrote in the last paragraph.

ESET Internet Security + Heimdal PRO would be a good combo. :)
I chose ESET NOD32 AV is because I do NOT want the ESET IS. ESET IS alone is more than enough without Heimdal Pro and it also covers network attack protection.

ESET NOD32 is not a strong AV so having SUPERAntiSpyware Pro to back it up is good especially for offline protecton. I think Heimdal Pro cannot provide real-time protection offline....I maybe wrong here. I'm not sure if it can work offline

Nothing against ESET IS. It's just that I would like to try out another combo

Last edited:

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
ESET NOD32 is not a strong AV so having SUPERAntiSpyware to back it up is good especially for offline protecton. I think Heimdal Pro cannot work offline....I may be wrong here.
No.ESET is a very good signature protection with some cloud protection quickly add mal signature to its database.You can use EEK it is far better than SUPERAntiSpyware.:)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No.ESET is a very good signature protection with some cloud protection quickly add mal signature to its database.You can use EEK it is far better than SUPERAntiSpyware.:)

Testing result of ESET NOD32 AV shows otherwise.

EEK is an on-demand scanner.

SUPERAntiSpyware Pro provides real-time online/offline protection.

Edit : It's SUPERAntiSpyware Pro version. Edited my OP for the mistake

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
EAV on default settings won't offer you the best protection.
But if you tweak it you can get a better lever of protection.
Instead of Heidmal Pro i prefer HMP.A that's my config right now.
I don't think HMPA is good enough against advanced threats and does it provides SSL/HTTPS filtering?

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
SAS is getting outdated and is not having the same detection rate is it once had in the past.
Are you really sure you need all this protection against all those fancy words you mention in your post? I think that Eset and Heimdal are already enough in combination with common sense ;)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
EAV provides SSL/HTTPS filtering.
About HMP.A i ca n tell you know becayse i am at work, HMP.A is installed in my laptop.
But HMP.A does protect from exploit's, ranswomware and other malicious activities.
You can take a look at it.

I posted after your answer;)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
SAS is getting outdated and is not having the same detection rate is it once had in the past.
Are you really sure you need all this protection against all those fancy words you mention in your post? I think that Eset and Heimdal are already enough in combination with common sense ;)
Does Heimdal Pro protects when offline in real-time? Is NOD32 AV that good enough?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
EAV provides SSL/HTTPS filtering.
About HMP.A i ca n tell you know becayse i am at work, HMP.A is installed in my laptop.
But HMP.A does protect from exploit's, ranswomware and other malicious activities.
You can take a look at it.

I posted after your answer;)
You sure ESET AV filters SSL/HTTPS or is it the ESET IS that has this feature? FYI I'm using ESET IS now

Yes, I know HMPA protects against exploits, ransomware and other malicious activities. But does it protects against other advanced threats? FYI, my HMPA subscription just expired.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
according to my experience with HMPA
if we have KIS, ESET or EAM, we don't need HMPA because they can block almost everything HMPA can block
KIS and ESET have very effective exploit protection and with proper configurations, HMPA virtually has no place to stay in the machine
HMPA can block something that regular AVs may miss but it misses most malwares the AVs can block

if I'm not mistaken, HMPA couldn't block wannacry exploit during the attack. They added the patch after the outbreak

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Does Heimdal Pro protects when offline in real-time? Is NOD32 AV that good enough?
Heimdal PRO isn't, and doesn't claim to be, an AV.
ESET NOD32 is good enough for a cautious user. But, for me, it's not enough, overall.

Yes, I know HMPA protects against exploits, ransomware and other malicious activities. But does it protects against other advanced threats?
Nothing can protect against everything. :)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
No I think Heimdal needs to communicate with their servers to identify threads and attacks. Eset is not really that bad. I meant that for most users this combo will suffice, but maybe not for you if you think so. If you think you need additional tools, you can use them, but more is not always better too.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Heimdal PRO isn't, and doesn't claim to be, an AV.
ESET NOD32 is good enough for a cautious user. But, for me, it's not enough, overall.

Nothing can protect against everything. :)

I'm not asking for protection against everything. But more protection coverage is definitely better than less, right?

Reactions: XhenEd

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No I think Heimdal needs to communicate with their servers to identify threads and attacks. Eset is not really that bad. I meant that for most users this combo will suffice, but maybe not for you if you think so. If you think you need additional tools, you can use them, but more is not always better too.
I'm talking of more coverage and not more software. Of course try to avoid duplicate protection and software conflict, if possible

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I'm not asking for protection against everything. But more protection coverage is definitely better than less, right?
Yes, you're right. But the reason I stated that is in every software that claims to have advanced techniques against malware, we can still object that it doesn't protect against "other advanced threats", like your objection right now. The objection never ends. Thus, nothing protects against everything. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.