Battle Stick with Defender or move to CCAV for sandbox

SirValence

Thread author
Jun 29, 2017
Hey everyone! Long time reader, first time poster. I've been happy with Defender/SmartScreen. However, I'm interested in the lightweight AV along with an additional sandbox provided by CCAV. I'm most interested in keeping a light and snappy system, especially on my somewhat under powered laptop. Defender seems to run pretty light on my stuff for the most part. I also tested CCAV for a short time. The first thing I noticed was a lag in Windows 10 startup (don't have Creators Update yet). I also noticed significant lag in connecting to a machine over RDP as well as launching heavier applications and games. Could this be CCAV "learning"? I do notice marginal gains in app launching after a little while.. but those darn RDP connections..... I'm an educated user who practices safe computing habits along with the essential, popular Chromium browser extensions. Would I still be "safe" to continue using Defender given the newer style drive-by and ransomware threats? Or should I move over to CCAV and give up a bit of responsiveness for a light AV along with sandbox? I have no problem with a chatty AV and I'm familiar with Comodo as I've used their firewall on and off in years past. Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: brod56 and frogboy

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
If you are happy with WD why change it o_O
If you want a change i suggest you CF with c's settings.

SirValence

Thread author
Jun 29, 2017
Thanks! I actually tried CF with Cruelsister's settings and at first, I loved it. However, I noticed a few FPS lags on my gaming rig while playing some games. This was indeed a while ago and was actually wondering if that problem is still around with regard to CAV/CF.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I highly recommend you to post your full Security Configuration in the forums so as to get an accurate answer for your questions.

Reactions: Rengar

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.