Assigned Still using Zemana on-demand scanner? Which version do you prefer?

This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.

Which version Zemana Anti Malware do you use: 2.74.0.664 or 3.1.375? Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm interested in getting an idea of how many MalwareTips members use Zemana as an on-demand scanner. If you use it, which version is it? Use both? Don't use it? Don't trust it? If you don't trust it, why not? Reliability issues (bugs)? Accuracy issues? Please let us know what you think about the current state of Zemana as an on-demand scanner.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I personally loved Zemana portable v2 as an on-demand scanner. With the implementation of v3, I've tried it 3 or 4 times and always came out with weird results, such as "DNS injection" because I manually changed my DNS to OpenDNS, or detecting Chrome extensions as browser hijacking. I suddenly got tired of it and deleted it.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
It wasn't so much Zemana per se, as it was the mysterious and abrupt disappearance of everyone associated with its development who was interacting here. It was like night and day, like the faucet shut off. It gave me a funny feeling, like if a person in your real life was all chummy and then became incommunicado out of the blue; how would you react? You can speculate as to why (like harassment and begging from forum members) but at the end of the day, it kind of undermined my good will toward the brand.

So, no to either. There are other products that have the same or similar capabilities, like HitmanPro.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Zemana is still the only one who can detect DNS hijack and process hollowing/fileless malwares the best
it's still needed. V2 works better than v3

between HMP, NPE and zemana, I use zemana+NPE for a reason
HMP is completely useless against fileless malwares and not good against PUPs because it uses kaspersky, BD engines which are known to be weak against PUPs
the other 2 engines improve PUP detection a bit but still not good

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Evjl's Rain: Do you refer to the paid, real time version of Zemana and its success w/fileless malware or the on-demand? Same for Norton, the free, on-demand is superior in this respect? AdwCleaner is my other on-demand for greyware. Not loyal to HitmanPro so will await any responses. :emoji_pray: HMP did flag a .dll one time so I was inclined to think it was "more" along those lines. But again, responses, please.:emoji_pray:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Evjl's Rain: Do you refer to the paid, real time version of Zemana and its success w/fileless malware or the on-demand? Same for Norton, the free, on-demand is superior in this respect? AdwCleaner is my other on-demand for greyware. Not loyal to HitmanPro so will await any responses. :emoji_pray: HMP did flag a .dll one time so I was inclined to think it was "more" along those lines. But again, responses, please.:emoji_pray:
No I mean only the scanner. zemana is really bad at realtime protection. The scanner is much much more powerful and can detect a lot of things that ZAM's realtime protection misses

the way to use zemana scanner properly:
- perform a scan (smart scan): it can detects active malwares, PUPs, DNS hijacking and process hollowing
- after that, go to C:\ -> drag "Users" folder to zemana's box to perform a custom scan

the scanning of users folder will find some more malwares that smartscan ignores

Norton NPE:
it detects files based on reputation = the number of users is less than 100 or the file is marked as untrustworthy by users or developers -> the best for unknown malwares but with high FP rate
It's signatureless, but after detecting something, users have an option to upload and check the file with Norton database -> good
to make NPE more useful, you can perform a custom scan of Users folder like zemana. It detects some more malwares that the normal scan misses according to what I saw in the hub

HMP:
there are 4 engines so it is great. You can also enable EWS (early warning scoring). It's similar to NPE when this option is enabled but not as well-developed , IMO
HMP is only bad at PUPs and fileless malwares. The rest is great thanks to BD and Kaspersky engines
but BD engine has been weak for a few recent years

at the end: I think NPE is a must-have scanner. We can ignore the rest but more is better

Last edited:

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
I vote for both .

From my experience , most of user with infected system ,
always feeling angry and depressed , they don't have patient to install too much tools or programs ,
this is why i always recommend the portable version for them .

However ,
I send a email to Zemana at end of July ,
and here is my questions :

Did the old portable version (v2.XX) still working ?
If the portable version is already in the future plans ,
Is there any expected or estimated release time ?

And here is Zemana's official reply :
No it no longer works so it does not get virus definition of version updates.
Probably ZAM 3.0 Free(as portable) will be released on next 3 months.

From official reply , seems portable(v2.XX) are already stop update for virus definition ,
I think this will affect the results and detection rate of the scan.

So , before the new v3 portable release , i guess i will keep using them both .

By the way ,
there is still many tools can be a great second opinion scanner ,
such as HitmanPro、Norton Power eraser、Malwarebytes、RogueKiller ... etc .

but things to note , HMP isn't free , only few days for trial version .

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.