Stupid question (Is it safe to run malware in a Virtual Machine (VM)?

Is it safe to run malware in a Virtual Machine ?

• Yes

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
The translation was not perfect, so I may have misunderstood your question.
A virtual machine simulates a real machine is completely safe u use a virtual machine for testing, a virtual machine isolates your real system, then you can mess with malware without concern.
Google translator may have failed, sorry.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
The translation was not perfect, so I may have misunderstood your question.
A virtual machine simulates a real machine is completely safe u use a virtual machine for testing, a virtual machine isolates your real system, then you can mess with malware without concern.
Google translator may have failed, sorry.

No google translator didn't fail. Thanks.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Guessing the question you're asking is, "is it safe to run live malware in a virtual machine?"
And is yes. Some people always take it to the next level and have the whole virtual machine, i.e VMware, Virtual box, Hyper V and what not within sandboxie for example, but from my experience in using a virtual machine and all the testing I've done with malware I've not had any that has gotten onto my host.

BUT (correct me if I'm wrong) that anything is possible, so to make sure you have your host locked down first, i.e updated Windows, updated antivirus etc.

Best thing to do/note as well is that once you have a fresh clean install of a virtual machine, make sure you take a snapshot of that operating system because once you've played around with that VM and you want to put it back to factory rest (in a way) without re-installing Windows to the VM, you can take a snapshot so that you can just load that snapshot.

May I ask what virtualisation software you are going with?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
If that's the case then all I can recommend is make sure you have an up to date host. Then also to make sure you take a snapshot of your fresh install on the virtual machine.

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Sure. You're safe. Even I disable the real-time protection, every security disabled when im doing test on VM.

Reactions: Jrs30
L

LabZero

The current virtualization systems (latest versions) don't allow evasion techniques: the virtual machine can't execute arbitrary programs on the operating system that hosts the VM.

But there are three other ways in which a malware inside a VM might (might!) create damage outside it:

1) the operating system that runs in the VM can connect over the network to shared resources without password or a password that is known to the operating system ("save Windows password function")

2) they are activated the "shared folders" in writing, in practice the VM "sees", with permission to read/write, some directories of the Host machine as if they were network disks.

3) It is present an unresolved specific vulnerability exploited by malware: very rare but possible event.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Thanks guys!

Would the safest way be to buy a second computer just for this ?

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
if you wanted to you could use a VPN which I would recommend and use a Anti Executable system on your host.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Can I ask why you need to use a VPN?
You don't need any of that if you are using a virtual machine.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
A VM is safe and always recommended when playing with malware.If you are not experienced it would be a good idea to educate yourself on testing malware.
Obviously,if you want to be technical,a second testing machine would be the safest method for testing however buying one for this purpose is not necessary as a VM is safe.An old computer that you are not using anymore would make a good testing machine but it would be a waste of money to purchase one for testing purposes.
IMO VMware is probably the best VM solution and definitely a software worth purchasing if you are going to make use of a VM on a regular basis.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
If you are using a virtual machine make sure you have this setting for network adapter for guest OS :
upload_2016-2-12_20-25-37.png
and no shared folders with the Host.
This is virtualbox.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Vmware and Virtualbox provide default configuration and massive security enhancement to avoid any vulnerabilities, messing with settings without proper knowledge about the details will cause leakage and troubles. Actually its totally safe at all especially us that regularly or often conduct malware testing.

Be sure to turn off file sharing and any mounted devices that can jump on to your system.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Can I ask why you need to use a VPN?
You don't need any of that if you are using a virtual machine.
A VPN is not needed but it decreases the chance and makes it harder for malware to spread on your network.

Reactions: CySecy825

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.