Security News Stylish Browser Add-On: 2 Million Users Impacted by New Data Collection Policy

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i'm also using this add-on. With this add-on you can apply skins/themes to a lot of popular web sites.

First of all good news:
The good news is that Hindman provided an opt-out option in the extension's settings panel. The anonymous data collection system comes turned on by default in all new installations.

....some more quotes from the article:
Stylish, an add-on for browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari, announced this week through the voice of its new owner a new data collection partnership with SimilarWeb, a digital market intelligence company.
According to Justin Hindman, Stylish's new owner as of October 2016, the add-on will share anonymized user data with SimilarWeb, a company that provides data analytics and market insight for various online services.
Hindman says that he needed to partner with SimilarWeb due to a lack of resources and need to improve suggestions for the type of "styles" users could apply to a web page.

"When I first started working on Stylish, I understood that this product is incredible, but in order to bring it to its full potential, it would require a tremendous amount of resources I just don’t have," Hindman explained. "Realizing this made me start looking for a partner that would be a natural fit with Stylish, adding value and helping me achieve my vision for this amazing Product."

Vague announcement leads to user panic, criticism

In his announcement, Hindman didn't specify what type of data Stylish will share with SimilarWeb. A diff of the Privacy Policy doesn't offer any insight either.
Hindman didn't respond to questions from Stylish users asking him to explain what type of data Stylish collects.
The good news is that Hindman provided an opt-out option in the extension's settings panel. The anonymous data collection system comes turned on by default in all new installations.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.