Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Some AV's that I have tried insist on removing CF due to compatibility because of the way the installer is designed, meaning there is no ignore button. Thus, the choice is to use Windows Firewall.

Some of you have suggested in postings that one could go it alone with just CF/cs settings.

If you had to remove CF to be able to use your favorite AV of choice, what would you substitute for CF?

Thanks.

Reactions: CodaPG

Some AV's that I have tried insist on removing CF due to compatibility because of the way the installer is designed, meaning there is no ignore button. Thus, the choice is to use Windows Firewall.

Some of you have suggested in postings that one could go it alone with just CF/cs settings.

If you had to remove CF to be able to use your favorite AV of choice, what would you substitute for CF?

Thanks.

You might want to look into:

1. BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control
2. TinyWall

Reactions: SearchLight

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
You might want to look into:

1. BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control
2. TinyWall

I have a license for WFC, good program to improve on the WF. Thanks for confirming my choice.

And what is your opinion on just going it alone with CF/cs and no AV? Effective?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you had to remove CF to be able to use your favorite AV of choice, what would you substitute for CF? Thanks.

errr fwiw I recently did just the opposite. I removed KIS_2018, and installed cf10@cs and most recently added EAM along with cf. So far EAM & cf seem to play ok together on win7_64. Do I need EAM, probably not, but if they play ok, why not? :)

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
errr fwiw I recently did just the opposite. I removed KIS_2018, and installed cf10@cs and most recently added EAM along with cf. So far EAM & cf seem to play ok together on win7_64. Do I need EAM, probably not, but if they play ok, why not? :)

You see now you enter the realm of Anti-Malware with signatures for specific behaviors. I have licenses for ZAL and Malwarebytes, and know what was said here about both, and even considered just using either with CF/cs but it was suggested to complement CF with an AV that had a BB. Is an AM a better complement to CF?

I have a license for WFC, good program to improve on the WF. Thanks for confirming my choice.

And what is your opinion on just going it alone with CF/cs and no AV? Effective?

CFW will protect the system. Don't fret about COMODO's lackluster signature detection. It is mostly missing the downloader\installer. It actually does a decent job of catching downloaded malware.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Just use one or the other. It will cause fewer issues.

CFW will protect the system. Don't fret about COMODO's lackluster signature detection. It is mostly missing the downloader\installer. It actually does a decent job of catching downloaded malware.

I did not really know that it was that effective. Most reviews gave CAV bad ratings, so I always left that module out, and proceeded to find a better AV complement, although I am using cs settings with CF.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone here ever do a high tech review of just CF/cs alone against malware?

And again, thanks for your ongoing support. Btw, maybe you should do the software reviews on PCMag instead of NR. You always provide more objective and insightful answers that the average user, like myself, would never think of.

I did not really know that it was that effective. Most reviews gave CAV bad ratings, so I always left that module out, and proceeded to find a better AV complement, although I am using cs settings with CF.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone here ever do a high tech review of just CF/cs alone against malware?

And again, thanks for your ongoing support. Btw, maybe you should do the software reviews on PCMag instead of NR. You always provide more objective and insightful answers that the average user, like myself, would never think of.

It is in your best interests to consider the total protections as a combined package as opposed to focusing on only a single component.

When you start piling other softs on top of CFW it becomes quickly apparent that they don't add much to the overall protection.

NR evaluates softs from the perspective of an average Joe n00b that just knows how to plug the system into a power outlet.

Reactions: simmerskool

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
CFW can pretty much keep you safe. Is there an opt-out of CFW firewall? in the Comodo Premium offline installer there is no opt-out there it is true also with the AV component. I asked Comodo and they are still working out that option and may be ready by October 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.