Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1/ Avira safe shopping/Avira browser safety (hidden)
Pros: best blocking ability, a few features which might be helpful for some users
Cons: those extra features are useless for MT users, disable them all as soon as you install Avira, some FPs, not the lightest because it constantly scans our traffic

2/ Norton safe web (link)
Pros: lightest of all, zero slowdown second best blocking ability, only scans after loading the websites so no extra CPU usage. It has the most up-to-date Symantec's web protection filter
Cons: quite prone to false positives, hidden on chrome webstore for many users so it's not easy to find by usual searching

-----------
not recommended:
- avast online security: very good phishing protection, doesn't support download malware protection. Only good against phishing because it's designed to complement avast AV's lack of phishing protection in the older versions. Now they included phishing protection in the AV (partially)

- Bitdefender trafficlight: heaviest of all, good phishing protection but virtually useless against download malwares (0/10 according to my test), questionable database compared to BD's AV, not sure if it has the latest database

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

I'd go with Avira or Norton (both of which mentioned already by @Evjl's Rain) if I wanted an extension dedicated for website scanning. However, I use uBlock Origin personally and it also has malicious URLs covered depending on the configuration - malvertising at least. Not to the extent of a dedicated extension from a security vendor though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.