Battle SUMo Pro vs Patch My PC Updater

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Same and I was shocked, that MS does not even bother to update the inbuilt OneDrive.
It seems that I owe MS an apology, I was at fault. 😳

Store apps change location upon updating, just like discord, so store fails to update apps, if it is blocked by the firewall.

Code:
"%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_12008.1001.1.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\WinStore.App.exe"
"%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_12009.1001.1.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\WinStore.App.exe"

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I do not use either. Software that I care about enough that requires updates usually has the check for updates enables.

Aside from that, I tend to not always jump into the latest and greatest updates due to usually being more prone for issues than stable versions that been working fine, unless there is a critical bug.

Once every 2 weeks i will check some software updates manually when doing maintenance if need be.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
RuckZuck is interesting. Because it is a quiet installer, you're never really sure what it is doing, and whether it is still in process or complete. However, prematurely closing the app, you are warned if an installation is in progress.

If you click on the update button a second time it opens a small window showing what's downloading/installing.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
i use them both. sumo has a far larger software inventory and finds updates for even the most obscure programs. it can, though rarely, give a false positive. patchmypc with the touch of a button will update for you which is much easier than sumo's free version. i find patch useful for things like adobe flash or java where I turn off their auto updaters and just manually check. and as I said, sumo to check for updates to programs no one here has ever even heard of. and then lastly but not leastly, portableapps for, well, my portable apps (which both sumo and patchmypc find as well).

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
i use both. and also portableapps. they are different enough that they're hard to compare. patch my pc is good for flash and java and windscribe etc, while sumo is good for many obscure programs I have. i have never tried the pro install feature of sumo, so I can't compare that feature, but patch is seamless and smooth on that front. (and i run them both out of portableapps, so it's all integrated and tidy :) )

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
i use both. and also portableapps. they are different enough that they're hard to compare. patch my pc is good for flash and java and windscribe etc, while sumo is good for many obscure programs I have. i have never tried the pro install feature of sumo, so I can't compare that feature, but patch is seamless and smooth on that front. (and i run them both out of portableapps, so it's all integrated and tidy :) )

Thanks ! Let me know if you want to get the SUMo PRO feature at a discount price :)

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
i have never tried the pro install feature of sumo, so I can't compare that feature
I have Pro and rarely use that feature. Since many programs have update detection included, I use SUMo to launch programs identified as updatable and let the program update itself. Seems safer to me, and ensures I'm getting the most current update and not a 32-bit version when I'm using a 64-bit version.

You might also be interested in the free RuckZuck for update installs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.