SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition 6.0.1212
Pros
  • -system Investigator: what's running on your PC
    -uninstall unwanted apps
    -Superdelete-file removal: delete difficult to remove files
    -fix registry damage caused by malware
    -multiple scans
CONS
-RAM usage about 103 MB, not justifiable why the real time protection is not available in the free version!
-low malware detection (old and fresh mix pack)
-manual update
-the features of the Pro version does not justify the purchase
BOTTOM LINE
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition is effective (?) against malware, spyware, adware, trojans, dialers, worms, keyloggers, hijackers and many other types of threats. The scans to search for potentially dangerous files can involve the entire hard drive, PC memory, registry, individual folders.
Some useful tools for security.
L

LabZero

Thread author
I have tested SA a few years ago and I had a good impression, but after this test I have to say that this software has gone downhill and I recommend using other scanners for system protection.
As usual I did a scan of a pack composed of 44 old & fresh samples (trojan, adware, PUP, etc).
SA has detected 11/44, ZAM 36/44 and WSA 42/44.

Some disappointment because SA could have potential if it was best implemented.

Cattura.PNG

Cattura1.PNG

Cattura2.PNG

Cattura6.PNG

Detections

Cattura3.PNG

Cattura5.PNG

Cattura4.PNG

Thanks for reading this short review :)

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
Malwarebytes is fine,nothing wrong with that program,and superantispyware is fine also you just have to pay for both programs:eek:

Reactions: Adz. and aragornnnn

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
I used to work for an undisclosed major corporate company that does computer repairs. Much like the recent thread posted here about Office Depot taking advantage of their customers with bogus computer repairs, this company (which is as big, if not bigger than Office Depot) had its technicians purposely using SAS to show customers false positives, and convince them that their computer is in fact infected.

I have since left, but if the job taught me one thing about on-demand scanners, it is that SAS is great for showing false positives that recur even when removed. Or on the other end of the spectrum, SAS is useless.

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
what would you recommend instead:(

Paid: HitmanPro.Alert (bundled w/ HitmanPro)
Free: Emsisoft Emergency Kit / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

If Zemana AntiMalware get it together and add some of their original features back into the software, I would rank them as good as, or better than Malwarebytes.

Crystal Security is also nice too, although the scan is a bit longer since it is heavily cloud based.

A

antreas

Thread author
malwarebytes is the most popular and the best at protection at my opinion! both detection of malware on system and blocking bad websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

antreas

Thread author
This is opinion. Provide 2 sources showing Malwarebytes having superior malware detection and web protection than its competitors, please.
You can't.

I am using Malwarebytes for 2 days now and its already blocked about 5 websites i tried to visit and a torrent yesterday i was downloading it block an ip. I used before zemana antilogger and never block a website or something, only malware on system.

Reactions: Solarlynx

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
I am using Malwarebytes for 2 days now
malwarebytes is the best! both detection of malware on system and blocking bad websites.

You can do better than this...

If you prefer MBAM, say you prefer it. It is definitely not the "best" though. If it has worked better for you on a personal level, I'm glad. But that doesn't make it a better overall product.

W

Wave

Thread author
malwarebytes is the best! both detection of malware on system and blocking bad websites.
Personally I think it's quite poor in terms of malware detection compared to other products based on personal testing and not based on testing with third-party samples which may or may not even be really malicious, but that is just my own opinion.

There is no best product because of all the amount of samples released into the wild every week, it's impossible to know which one is truly the best. No product can detect everything without blocking everything, even Anti-Exe with Default Deny can have problems sometimes...

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Paid: HitmanPro.Alert (bundled w/ HitmanPro)
Free: Emsisoft Emergency Kit / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

If Zemana AntiMalware get it together and add some of their original features back into the software, I would rank them as good as, or better than Malwarebytes.

Crystal Security is also nice too, although the scan is a bit longer since it is heavily cloud based.
So what features are you missing in the current ZAM?

Thanks

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
So please explain me is any use of SAS? Usually my setup includes an anti-exploit, a fw and a HIPS or anti-executable. Will SAS add something there?

As for MBAM - I read somewhere (and actually many times) it is not designed as replacement for a routine AV, but as an addition to it. MBAM is designed to find malware where other AV doesn't look at. That's why it just cannot be compared to usual AV.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So please explain me is any use of SAS? Usually my setup includes an anti-exploit, a fw and a HIPS or anti-executable. Will SAS add something there?

As for MBAM - I read somewhere (and actually many times) it is not designed as replacement for a routine AV, but as an addition to it. MBAM is designed to find malware where other AV doesn't look at. That's why it just cannot be compared to usual AV.
I don't SAS would add anything because it's like an AV but much weaker signatures => not really good as a scanner or a realtime protector

better to invest to much better programs or find out your suitable free combo :cool:

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
I personally love SUPERAntiSpyware. Sure the UI is outdated and their detection ration is not top notch, but this software is great at smashing tracking cookies.

I don't really think it competes with Malwarebytes, it's just another layer of protection. I have the professional version and i'm very happy with it.

Anyway thanks a lot for the review ;)

Reactions: Solarlynx

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.