Security News Surprise! Wireless brain implants are insecure, and can be hijacked to kill you or steal thoughts (Science-fiction horror trope now a reality in 2018)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Scientists in Belgium have tested the security of a wireless brain implant called a neurostimulator – and found that its unprotected signals can be hacked with off-the-shelf equipment.
And because this particularly bit of kit resides amid sensitive gray matter – to treat conditions like Parkinson's – the potential consequences of successful remote exploitation include voltage changes that could result in sensory denial, disability, and death.
That's hardly surprising given that the transmissions of the implantable medical device in question are not encrypted or authenticated.
What is intriguing is that the researchers suggest future neurotransmitters are expected to utilize information gleaned from brain waves like P-300 to tailor therapies. Were an attacker to capture and analyze the signal, they suggest, private thoughts could be exposed.

DarkLense

Level 1
Verified
Feb 8, 2018
I mean really, where does this cyber implementation stop... Is it just me or everything is going nuts. Why can we just live life experience what little we have left... I would guess when all the humans go bionic or something that is seriously disturbing for someone who will hopefully never live to see the Gensis or what ever it was called.

Reactions: frogboy

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
But the Brain itself has been hacked many times, its known as Brainwash.

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.