Surveillance cameras to 'talk' to the public through individual smartphones

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
System allows surveillance cameras to 'talk' to the public through individual smartphones
June 14, 2018 by Chris Adam, Purdue University

City governments will be able to use the Purdue University public camera technology to send alerts to distracted pedestrians when cars are approaching. Credit: Purdue University

The team developed a real-time end-to-end system called PHADE to allow this process, known as private human addressing. While traditional data transmission protocols need to first learn the destination's IP or MAC address, this system uses motion patterns as the address code for communication. The smartphones then locally make their own decisions on whether to accept a message.
The PHADE system works using a server to receive video streams from cameras to track people. The camera builds a packet by linking a message to the address code and broadcasts the packet. Upon receiving the packet, a mobile device of each of the targets uses sensors to extract its owner's behavior and follow the same transformation to derive a second address code. If the second address code matches with the address code in the message, the mobile device automatically delivers the message to its owner.

Read the full story System allows surveillance cameras to 'talk' to the public through individual smartphones

Last edited:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I wouldn't bother warning them, i would just let them get hit with a car then it might teach them a lesson :p

It shouldn't be up to software to alert people of impending danger, surely they can make that decision for themselves, nor should a person be relying on such technology to keep them safe.

Maybe i'm being too harsh but human beings need to be responsible for themselves.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
City governments will be able to use the Purdue University public camera technology to send alerts to distracted pedestrians when cars are approaching.

I fully agree with @Weebarra but perhaps it would be better to approach the main issue that people walks, runs, cycles and even drive and use the phone at the same time. I know there's laws against driving and using a phone but does that really help as even we got laws against that in this country and I still see it on a daily base.

IMO this almost feel like it's a protection for someone else then the actual pedestrians. The image says alot. Self driving cars that can't stop when they are supposed to?

Last edited:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I fully agree with @Weebarra

IMO this almost feel like it's a protection for someone else then the actual pedestrians. The image says alot. Self driving cars that can't stop when they are supposed to?

Hmmm, maybe. I didn't really notice that and just assumed it was purely a simulation to show effect.

Reading further on the article, it is just screaming surveillance to me and i quote
"PHADE may also be used by government agencies to enhance public safety," Cao said. "For example, the government can deploy cameras in high-crime or high-accident areas and warn specific users about potential threats, such as suspicious followers."

Now while they are saying it could be used to enhance public safety by government agencies, i just see it as another way to track people with the pretence of keeping them safe, are they saying they can warn people of danger but are just going to let "the potential threats" (otherwise known as criminals) go around freely to commit their misdemeanours ? It all sounds a bit fishy to me but then again, i am quite cynical.

Well this is not helping thin out the herd. I thought we were supposed to let nature take its course!:)

rolling-lol.gif
I like your thinking !

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.