Sweden bans Huawei and ZTE from 5G networks

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This week, it was Sweden who chose to restrict Huawei and ZTE from its 5G network, citing advice from the Swedish Armed Forces and the Swedish Security Service.

"New installations and new implementation of central functions for the radio use in the frequency bands must not be carried out with products from the suppliers Huawei or ZTE," the Swedish Post and Telecom Authority stated, adding, "If existing infrastructure for central functions is to be used to provide services in the concerned frequency bands, products from Huawei and ZTE must be phased out 1 January 2025 at the latest."

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Wise decision, if you look at the world political "big picture". The World is changing...who will win?
In my opinion, it will be quantum "cubit" technology, which scares me a lot. Until some one takes the plug out. :)

Kind regards,
-sepik

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Without going into a pure political debate, if one followed the internal news in Sweden, this was not any sort of surprise. Sweden and China have had a long time beef and many times sadly behaved like small children. But what made me personal lift an eyebrow, was when the Post and Telecom Authority in the news/live yesterday state this decision had nothing to do with the technology, but everything with the country China. Apparently that is one of the main rules they can use against any outside company. Fair enough, but it also went straight against what the Swedish Security service and Armed forces said. Nothing Huawei can do about it anyway, but Sweden should probably not be surprised if it gets hit by restrictions in one way or the other.

The removal of Huawei within a few year I can guess will be a similar issue UK have. Not easy as just snap ones fingers as they are deeply rooted into both 3G and 4G.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.