Switching to Linux? 4 Operating Systems That Feel Like Home

Discussion in 'Technology' started by antreas, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. antreas

antreas Level 7

Linux Mint
    Switching to Linux opens the door to new tools and techniques to make your computing experience easier. But there is a learning curve, and depending on your choice of Linux operating system even navigating your desktop may be a challenge. Here’s how to make your new journey a little more familiar.

Distribution vs. Desktop
    Some distributions’ choice of desktop is one of their main ways of shaping your experiences as a user.

“Wait, choice of desktop?” you ask.

Linux offers a wide variety of desktop environments, or graphical shells, ranging from the very fancy to the clean and minimalist. Unlike some operating systems where a single graphical shell is at least the norm (if not the only option), Linux lets you install one or more different options to suit your taste.

Switching From Windows 10

Out-of-the-Box Distro: Zorin OS 12
    Zorin OS is a desktop distribution with a focus on business productivity use. It offers a robust set of business apps out of the box and premium support for businesses. To make things familiar for corporate users, the layout of the default desktop mimics that of Windows 10.

Switching From macOS
    Out-of-the-Box Distro: Elementary OS
    The developers of Elementary OS wrote their own environment, called “Pantheon,” for complete control over the look-and-feel. They created a theme (especially the icon set and window borders) that should make Mac switchers feel right at home, to say nothing of the dock at the bottom-center of the desktop. The applications are also given names that will help new users identify them (e.g. “Mail” instead of something like “Geary”).

Switching From Chrome OS
    Out-of-the-Box Distro: Cub Linux
    As Chrome OS is built on a Linux base, it’s a quick “upgrade” of sorts to start using Linux. The distribution Cub Linux aims to provide an experience that mirrors Chrome OS, right down to the transparent task manager at the bottom.

Out-of-the-Box Distro: Gallium OS
    If you’re looking to replace Chrome OS entirely on your Chromebook, Gallium OS is worth a look. Their interface is also very similar to that of Chromebooks, including an icon-based app launchers and a “search style” application launcher.

For more info visit the source website. :)

2. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member

Windows 10
    AV:
    Microsoft
    I much prefer the user experience on OSX/macOS, because it's well-knitted propitiatory software with a strong existing eco-system. That's what I personally prefer. :)

ZeroDay likes this.
  3. Sr. Normal 2.0

Sr. Normal 2.0 Level 5
    Trusted

Windows 10
    AV:
    Norton
    Very good idea @antreas

I think we could include in this thread Q4OS.

It is based on Debian Stable and is visually practically the same as XP.

It is very light, stable and functionally perfect on old computers.

image2.jpg

Vasudev likes this.
  4. ant_gamal

ant_gamal Level 3

Windows 10
    AV:
    ESET
    Can I run some ordinary app on this replacement operating system
    Like autocad for example

As I read it is Linux so it will be difficult

And I use autocad - civil 3d - office usually everyday

I need to use one of them cos my pc is old one but must run this app
    There is no replace for them

Cos some tasks I do it at work and resume it at home then resume again at work
    Or my workmates use my work to do their jobs

#4 ant_gamal, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  5. Symbolica2

Symbolica2 New Member

Windows 10
  6. vinylmeister

vinylmeister Level 2

I really would love to change to Linux completely because there are some great and safe distros out there. But i have some programs which are windows only. They prevent me from changing. And dualbooting and then switching between distros/progs feels a bit uncomfortable for me. Sadly.

mlnevese and shmu26 like this.
  7. shmu26

shmu26 Level 35

Windows 10
    You are 100% right. That's why most of us don't switch.

mlnevese likes this.
  8. Just Julian

Just Julian New Member

Windows 8
    AV:
    Microsoft
    After installing Linux, one could then install Whatever OS in a Virtual Machine to run Programs/Applications that require Whatever OS :)

9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Level 8

Wine is also a good program to run some windows programs in. Otherwise a VM would do the trick.

Just Julian likes this.
Other threads that you may like Forum Date
Linux & Unix The city of Munich has saved an estimated €10 million switching to Linux. Operating Systems Jul 7, 2014
Laptop not switching on and beep sound comes Troubleshooting Hardware - Questions and Help! Sep 28, 2016
Q&A Switching products ESET Mar 15, 2016