Switching to Linux? 4 Operating Systems That Feel Like Home

A

antreas

Thread author
Switching to Linux opens the door to new tools and techniques to make your computing experience easier. But there is a learning curve, and depending on your choice of Linux operating system even navigating your desktop may be a challenge. Here’s how to make your new journey a little more familiar.

Distribution vs. Desktop
Some distributions’ choice of desktop is one of their main ways of shaping your experiences as a user.

“Wait, choice of desktop?” you ask.

Linux offers a wide variety of desktop environments, or graphical shells, ranging from the very fancy to the clean and minimalist. Unlike some operating systems where a single graphical shell is at least the norm (if not the only option), Linux lets you install one or more different options to suit your taste.

Switching From Windows 10

Out-of-the-Box Distro: Zorin OS 12
Zorin OS is a desktop distribution with a focus on business productivity use. It offers a robust set of business apps out of the box and premium support for businesses. To make things familiar for corporate users, the layout of the default desktop mimics that of Windows 10.

Switching From macOS
Out-of-the-Box Distro: Elementary OS
The developers of Elementary OS wrote their own environment, called “Pantheon,” for complete control over the look-and-feel. They created a theme (especially the icon set and window borders) that should make Mac switchers feel right at home, to say nothing of the dock at the bottom-center of the desktop. The applications are also given names that will help new users identify them (e.g. “Mail” instead of something like “Geary”).

Switching From Chrome OS
Out-of-the-Box Distro: Cub Linux
As Chrome OS is built on a Linux base, it’s a quick “upgrade” of sorts to start using Linux. The distribution Cub Linux aims to provide an experience that mirrors Chrome OS, right down to the transparent task manager at the bottom.

Out-of-the-Box Distro: Gallium OS
If you’re looking to replace Chrome OS entirely on your Chromebook, Gallium OS is worth a look. Their interface is also very similar to that of Chromebooks, including an icon-based app launchers and a “search style” application launcher.

For more info visit the source website. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I much prefer the user experience on OSX/macOS, because it's well-knitted propitiatory software with a strong existing eco-system. That's what I personally prefer. :)

Reactions: ZeroDay
S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
Very good idea @antreas

I think we could include in this thread Q4OS.

It is based on Debian Stable and is visually practically the same as XP.

It is very light, stable and functionally perfect on old computers.

image2.jpg

Reactions: Vasudev

ant_gamal

Level 5
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
Can I run some ordinary app on this replacement operating system
Like autocad for example

As I read it is Linux so it will be difficult

And I use autocad - civil 3d - office usually everyday

I need to use one of them cos my pc is old one but must run this app
There is no replace for them

Cos some tasks I do it at work and resume it at home then resume again at work
Or my workmates use my work to do their jobs

Last edited:

vinylmeister

Level 2
Verified
Jan 29, 2015
I really would love to change to Linux completely because there are some great and safe distros out there. But i have some programs which are windows only. They prevent me from changing. And dualbooting and then switching between distros/progs feels a bit uncomfortable for me. Sadly.

Reactions: mlnevese and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I really would love to change to Linux completely because there are some great and safe distros out there. But i have some programs which are windows only. They prevent me from changing. And dualbooting and then switching between distros/progs feels a bit uncomfortable for me. Sadly.
You are 100% right. That's why most of us don't switch.

Reactions: mlnevese

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.