Switching to Ubuntu: How do I secure it?

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I will be using Ubuntu in a VM till I learn the basics. When I get the hang of it, I think I'm going to make the switch. I am aware about the UFW and GUFW, but what else can I implement?

What is the best scanner? Sophos, Clam, ESET?

And what 0 day protection can I use?

Thanks in advance.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Haven't used any scanner in ubuntu yet.
So far I have enabled ufw, downloaded gufw and hardened my browser with HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript and uBlock Origin. So far so good. :)
I did download and install firejail and firetools the very first day I started using ubuntu but there were some problems so I purged them. I might give them another go at some point.

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
ubuntu is relatively safe and not so vulnerable . I have used it as my main system a few years ago and never ever had a problem. But if using an antivirus software is a must then go with ESET

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Switch to Ubuntu: How do I protect it?

protects itself, you don't need anything... just update it, and don't give your password to third party program... There is no one who uses linux and asks for help because it is infected... you can see Google.

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Take a look at the Security page on the Arch Wiki (the majority of the information applies to most distros), there's a lot of good information there.

I plan on using the Brave browser, which does everything uBlock Origin does.
I haven't used Brave a lot, but from what I've seen it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of functionality uBlock Origin has, such as choosing the filter lists it uses, adding your own filter lists and dynamic filtering.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Switch to Ubuntu: How do I protect it?

protects itself, you don't need anything... just update it, and don't give your password to third party program... There is no one who uses linux and asks for help because it is infected... you can see Google.
Cough Cough, I left Goolag for Qwant :p

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Tried Ubuntu on my old laptop, found that Unity too much resources on it.
I'm now waiting for the new DE to be out on LTS and also reviews.

I'm also rocking Solus OS on the same laptop while waiting for Ubuntu's changes.

Cheers. :p

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Take a look at the Security page on the Arch Wiki (the majority of the information applies to most distros), there's a lot of good information there.

I haven't used Brave a lot, but from what I've seen it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of functionality uBlock Origin has, such as choosing the filter lists it uses, adding your own filter lists and dynamic filtering.
I haven't noticed any difference from switching to Brave. But even if uBlock Origin is better than Brave, I will still chose Brave over Chrome and Firefox, since both browsers are now in the fight against "fake news" AKA, people with a difference of opinion.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Good browser but still can't block all kind of ads.
it cant block Gif ads when others like Add guard can:)But they are working hard and I guess soon they will add AdNauseam to the brave extensions list.
Actually, I recently joined the Brave community forums. Can you describe in detail what Brave doesn't block (With proof) so I can make a post on it? Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.