Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.6 RU6 MP2 v12.1.6465.6200

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

I did custom install i.e reduced size databases & didn't install mail protection & application control. Updated the databases, it was quick. Restarted the system.
As per Symantec reduced size is app 80-90% less of the full size.

Programs & Features shows Symantec Endpoint Protection 498MB.
Program Files (x86) Symantec Folders Properties shows Size 132 MB & Size on Disk 89.5 MB.

Big difference !

I only ever used the standard install = about the same size as Bitdefender Internet Security.

D

Deleted member 2913

Big difference !

I only ever used the standard install = about the same size as Bitdefender Internet Security.
Yes big difference.

I had installed 12.1.6_MP3, now I am going to upgrade with 12.1.6_MP4...lets see if the upgrade goes well...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
What is your opinion on application control and how hard is to setup good rules? Any guides with guidelines to protect the system?

H

hjlbx

What is your opinion on application control and how hard is to setup good rules? Any guides with guidelines to protect the system?

You need to install both SEP and SEPM on one system.

• Create the rules.
  • Test the rules via log reviews before enabling the rules.
  • Enable the rules after determined they won't smash your system.

Essentially you white-list and black-list files (vulnerable processes).

You can achieve much tighter security with AppGuard and NVT ERP with 1/10th the hassle...

Plus, NVT ERP will alert upon execution of any vulnerable processes with the great convenience of Allow or Block from within the alert. With SEP it just blocks the file - and you have to go in when a vulnerable process is legitimately needed and change the rule to Allow, then afterwards, change the rule back to Block.

To be perfectly honest I messed with SEPM for about 30 minutes and promptly uninstalled it as it felt like it would be a full-time job administering it.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
@hjlbx Ok this is what i wanted to know. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2913

Upgraded/OverInstall from 12.1.6_MP3 to 12.1.6_MP4. Everything was fine i.e upgraded correctly remembered my reduced size selection & custom install options. All my settings, quarantine, exceptions, etc... were fine.

Only thing was it didn't removed previous version folder. So removed manually by disabling protection & tamper protection. Everything is fine.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
hjlbx is very correct. Managed SEP is more problems than it is worth, and Unmanaged on a home system is a grave mistake (although the Firewall is great).

D

Deleted member 2913

hjlbx is very correct. Managed SEP is more problems than it is worth, and Unmanaged on a home system is a grave mistake (although the Firewall is great).
You mean Unmanaged is even inferior to Norton Home products like Norton Security?

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Upgraded/OverInstall from 12.1.6_MP3 to 12.1.6_MP4. Everything was fine i.e upgraded correctly remembered my reduced size selection & custom install options. All my settings, quarantine, exceptions, etc... were fine.

Only thing was it didn't removed previous version folder. So removed manually by disabling protection & tamper protection. Everything is fine.
Where did you get MP4 from? according to this article MP3 is latest Download the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.