Battle Symantec Endpoint Unmanaged vs F-Secure Safe vs Comodo IS Free?

Compare list
Symantec Endpoint Unmanaged vs F-Secure Safe vs Comodo IS Free

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Hmm it really depends but I think Comodo and Symantec are pretty much the best choice as a third party
About features
security both can be set to be default deny
comodo is more user friendly and is lighter
Symantec has better management and more features so choice whatever you prefer
But remember default deny and actually writing decent rules is what matters even windows firewall can suffice in these terms

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I've been using F-secure safe with Symantec unmanaged(firewall only) and its performing light for me. Even lighter than Eset Internet Security which I previously used.
Have never thought of this, but I like it! A LOT!!!
Been pondering about a better firewall to pair with F Secure, and this combo is a no brainer! Great use of 2 programs, Deletedmessiah

TWO BIG THUMBS UP!!! (y) (y)

I salute you, my friend.
1625454088302.png

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Comodo internet security with cruelsister config

Antivirus component is probably trash , but the antivirus is probably lightest one there... you really dont benefit much from microsoft defender + comodo firewall against cis

All youre missing is phishing protection, but adblocker + netcraft/ emsisoft browser security in browser will do

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
comodo antivirus is trash. you are better gone with built in windows defender instead. comodo firewall is consider to be one of the best free 3rd party firewall out here. i dont like and trust symantec. f secure safe is good afaik.
I like norton but I have used comodo in the past their antivirus sucks their firewall is good, f secure is good because it users the Bitdefender av engine

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I like norton but I have used comodo in the past their antivirus sucks their firewall is good, f secure is good because it users the Bitdefender av engine
Not anymore, they switched to Avira in 2018/2019.
Aquarius has been replaced with our new Capricorn engine. Capricorn is our new cloud-hybrid file and URL analysis service for F-Secure's endpoint products — for all platforms.
Aquarius was Bitdefender, Capricorn is Avira.

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Have never thought of this, but I like it! A LOT!!!
Been pondering about a better firewall to pair with F Secure, and this combo is a no brainer! Great use of 2 programs, Deletedmessiah

TWO BIG THUMBS UP!!! (y) (y)

I salute you, my friend.
View attachment 259499
When setting up Symantec unmanaged to run the firewall only, are there any specific settings needed that you'd be able to share? TIA

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
I've been using F-secure safe with Symantec unmanaged(firewall only) and its performing light for me. Even lighter than Eset Internet Security which I previously used.
Thought I'd go directly to the source... When setting up Symantec unmanaged to run the firewall only, are there any specific settings needed that you'd be able to share? TIA

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Comodo is a toy for those who like to manually control every change in the system. It does not have a full-fledged web filter, there is no IP filtering by reputation, and also there is completely useless antivirus engine. Yes, it probably provides better protection of the system from damage, as well as better protection from ransomware if it is configured correctly, but in terms of protecting personal information from complex threats, I think it is completely useless.

F-Secure is quite a convenient solution from the category of install and forget, but I don't really trust this antivirus because of weak self-protection, as well as a rather weak Avira engine, for example, I sent them at least 2 threats for mac, although they had a good detection on VT. The advantage is impeccable privacy and the presence of a banking mode, although it looks less powerful than, for example, Eset banking mode.

Symantec is powerful and flexible, it can be configured for maximum protection, or it can be made completely invisible in the system, I think that it surpasses competitors from your list in the average scenario

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Using Comodo internet security with cruelsister config here. Lighter than anything I've used on this pc.
Using comodo on a very old laptop I repurposed for my little sister .
And it’s dam light used Symantec before but wanted something lighter for such an old machine (Symantec is incredibly light don’t get me wrong but comodo is something else in terms of lightness and the auto sandbox environment is neat I mean the container or whatever it’s called )

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Comodo can keep a malware-free system clean and prevent any infections, If configured correctly both Symantec and Comodo have the potential to be the safest security software out there. Both can be used as a default deny security software ( may require some user interactions). Comodo is more user friendly to configure but Symantec managed gives you a ton of options to configure you can even customise the installation package. Both lack a full-fledged web filter but for that you can use Nextdns coupled with Yoga dns to get systemwide doh with high quality filtering.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
useless antivirus engine
They admit having useless antivirus because all they promote is container and light antivirus wich you dont need but they do provide

terms of protecting personal information from complex threats, I think it is completely useless.
i would be worried if comodo offered me free password manager or adblocker, even their web filter extension is completely useless indeed

Comodo is far from set up and forget as you have to constantly unblock / whitelist applications during first week of using / installing new software but i can trust it whenever im not at home and kids installing something like minecraft mods and stuff like that

symantec or f secure on default settings just offer more and often are more than enough for everyone without any configure changes, comodo only offers container wich is enough for users that dont install alot crap and are curious to win iphone from lottery

After all it would be more smart to recommend : antivirus that compete with default settings
against : antivirus you have to configure to be as good as competors

Reactions: gigi64 and Venustus

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
F-Secure with Windows built-in Firewall is enough. F-Secure is designed to work with the Windows Firewall.

Comodo Anti-virus has a low detection rate yet a high false positive rate. Comodo Firewall is good but can be incompatible with F-Secure.

Symantec Anti-virus has a high false positive rate and does a bad job in cloud protection. Likewise, its Firewall component is okay but can be incompatible with F-Secure.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.