Symantec, ESET, McAfee rank first in Windows anti-malware market share

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
1574091216135.png

Antivirus programs from Symantec, ESET, and McAfee are today's most popular Windows-based anti-malware products, according to usage data gathered by enterprise software vendor OPSWAT.
For more than five years, OPSWAT has been collecting data and publishing monthly market share reports for the Windows anti-malware market.
The company says it collects its data from more than 30,000 enterprise and home systems where customers installed its free apps.
Avast, the market's leader for the past five years, has fallen to #6.
According to its latest report, published at the end of October, Symantec is today's top anti-malware vendor, with a market share of 13.56%, followed by ESET with 12.84%, and McAfee with 12.21%.

just thought i will strike a conversation with this

Last edited:

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Symantec may be the most popular but it sure isn't the best

It's not exactly the worst either. Usually the reason a vendor is most popular is that they have a huge lineup of products to meet every use case and I think Symantec has that nailed down, especially in the enterprise marketspace.

I'm just super worried about the Broadcom partial acquisition. Usually companies do not survive being engulfed by Broadcom... Broadcom usually just sucks out all the talent and spits out an even more failing business unit to sell off to the next bidder.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Is this report about the paid versions of the respective software? The three winners offer only paid versions.
I am surprised that paid AVs are so much more popular than free AVs. It doesn't sound like we are talking about the home market here.
The article says that the data was collected from computers on which OPSWAT free software was installed. I assume that means we are talking about corporate computers and IT professionals, because the average home user surely never heard of OPSWAT, and probably wouldn't want to install their products, even if they were offered to him.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
The data in this report was generated on October 28th, 2019 and includes data collected in the last 6 months from users of our free tools including MetaAccess. MetaAccess prevents risky devices from accessing local networks and cloud applications using OPSWAT’s industry-leading endpoint security and advanced threat prevention technologies. The information in this report is representative of tens of millions of data points collected from over 30,000 live endpoints and includes both corporate and home users.

Although Microsoft is heavily saturated in the anti-malware product market, we have excluded this vendor because we feel that its products do not accurately represent the user's product of choice as they come pre-installed on many Windows systems and cannot be removed.

Data Collection
  • For the purpose of the report, our sample size is assumed to be representative of the market, based on the wide accessibility of our free tools to a large range of users. As our sample size grows, we expect our report to more accurately reflect real world results.
  • While our free products have international reach, their use is not commensurate with worldwide population distribution. Only English-language versions of our free products are available, so countries with higher numbers of English speakers are expected to use these applications at higher rates.
  • These applications are marketed in OPSWAT’s own channels. Users sampled may not be representative of the general population. For example, this report may contain a different distribution of Windows operating systems and device types compared to what exists in the real world.
  • The purpose of OPSWAT’s Market Share Reports is to inspire discussion, not to make any claims on which anti-malware vendors are the best or to compare these vendors in terms of quality or performance.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Symantec is a very good product these days
And it’s all around too! Like it’s a signature scanner, AI/ML heuristic scanner, cloud reputation engine, behavior blocker, application level outbound firewall, intrusion protection system with deep packet inspection, botnet C&C IP blocker, etc.

Sure we can come up with examples of specialty products doing one of those things better, but Symantec is above average at each of those features and it’s a single solution. It’s no wonder it’s so popular.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I see McAfee there as well.
I have to admit my only contact with McAfee in the last decade was seeing it pre-installed in a laptop and uninstalling it to replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials and this was already a long time ago.
Decades ago though, I remember McAfee being one of the top dogs.

How is McAfee these days ?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
(This week) :cool:I feel Symantec is the best all rounder taking everything into consideration - ESET, Emsisoft too fulfill my needs but Symantec is my favorite (not saying the rest aren't absolutely amazing as I don't want to start a another ginormous thread) :):):)

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Symantec may be the most popular but it sure isn't the best
for those who don't know how to use it, sure.

The purpose of OPSWAT’s Market Share Reports is to inspire discussion, not to make any claims on which anti-malware vendors are the best or to compare these vendors in terms of quality or performance.
I like this, unlike all those crap test labs.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I do not agree with your comment, I have a university degree and you imply that I do not use the symantec products, maybe the error is from that antivirus company that believes that its users have an IQ above normal
sincerely an eset user
Don't care your degree or whatever IQ you have, you have good knowledge of security or not, you can be a genius in your field and still be a noob in security; not the first time i teach security to people smarter than me.
And what is this nonsense about the IQ of the users? and what it has to do with any company...
The masses can't handle complicated security software, they need something that does everything for them, automatically and silently as much as possible; this is a fact. Reason why Microsoft made Windows Defender built-in Win10 and why many don't bother anymore to buy 3rd party AVs.

What triggered my reaction is you using the word "not the best".
In computer security, there is no such thing as "the best". The best, the strongest, the most powerful, all this is plain crap where noobs fight upon.
In security, what matters is the all-around strategy you can deploy based on your knowledge, skills and available tools.
It is not the tool that makes security efficient, it is how it is used, hence my reply.

Also, did you ever used Symantec EP (managed)? Remember Norton product line isn't Symantec's line.

elquenunca

Level 3
Verified
Dec 23, 2017
Don't care your degree or whatever IQ you have, you have good knowledge of security or not, you can be a genius in your field and still be a noob in security; not the first time i teach security to people smarter than me.
And what is this nonsense about the IQ of the users? and what it has to do with any company...
The masses can't handle complicated security software, they need something that does everything for them, automatically and silently as much as possible; this is a fact. Reason why Microsoft made Windows Defender built-in Windows 10 and why many don't bother anymore to buy 3rd party AVs.

What triggered my reaction is you using the word "not the best".
In computer security, there is no such thing as "the best". The best, the strongest, the most powerful, all this is plain crap where noobs fight upon.
In security, what matters is the all-around strategy you can deploy based on your knowledge, skills and available tools.
It is not the tool that makes security efficient, it is how it is used, hence my reply.

Also, did you ever used Symantec EP (managed)? Remember Norton product line isn't Symantec's line.
I think your tone is not right, maybe you should calm down and think a bit before answering nonsense

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@Umbra
Slightly off topic but the problem you have is, you are often disrespectful to people with your comments. Your constant use of words such as noob, LOL, etc to objectify people and in arguments seems pretty childish and often makes your comments more offensive and you also seem to have a mentality of thinking your always right about everything. You may have a lot of experience in security but those means nothing if you don't show respect to other members of this community. We have all kinds of members here, from people working in security to people to whom PC security is an uncharted territory. Share your knowledge, opinion, help those who asks for if you can without getting toxic. Whether you agree with me or not that's up to you.
Anyway, I'm not going post anymore reply here cause I don't want to start an off topic argument. Maybe an admin but I felt like someone needed to say this to you so let it be me in this case. Peace ✌

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.