TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So after years of resisting, I have decided to go mobile. It can be very useful at times. I like, that my Fitbit watch receives SMS and it shows incoming calls.
I have also ordered Headphones with Bone Conduction to use at work and I intent to use other Bluetooth devices like a key finder with a motion tracker.
As for the smartphone itself, I like it rough and my work is pretty demanding, so I needed something I would not have to worry about being damaged.

P.S. It is also nice that the firewall blocks some ADs. :)

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What's your security patch level (see at system Info)?
Google Play System Update - January 1, 2021
Security Update - April 5, 2020
Also if you replace Facebook app with their website / website as PWA app, that would increase your privacy
I gave up on privacy altogether, since I went google. Besides I still quite do not like browsing on a smartphone, it is seems so compressed and impractical, though it is OK as a backup.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
This is your firmware patch level which means your device lack firmware updates since then
That is crazy, I bought this phone mainly because of Android 10, I wanted to be updated. The phone was released in June 2020.
My old phone has Android 8 with the security patch released in November 2020. I guess I got, what I paid for ($100 worth). :cautious:

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

That is crazy, I bought this phone mainly because of Android 10, I wanted to be updated. The phone was released in June 2020.
My old phone has Android 8 with the security patch released in November 2020. I guess I got, what I paid for ($100 worth). :cautious:
That's sadly a known and fundamental problem with most Android phones/ vendors.
A lot never get any updates, most only 1 year and some 2 years.
Only Google provide 3 years after release.
Apple provide 5 years.

Android 10 was released on September 3, 2019 and Android 11 was released on September 8, 2020.
So, the chances are high that your device doesn't get 11 or later :(

It's really a pity what Android vendor do here, just to get money.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
This is your firmware patch level which means your device lack firmware updates since then :(
To be fair this setup should be changed to "at risk".

I wouldn't use banking on that phone.
With 3rd party Android phone makers I'd go with older stable updates than buggy boot looping or nearly unusable phone with latest security updates. I personally faced this issue on Nokia 8.1 with stock android and performs worse than Android 9 and still lot of bugs are present on Android 10 which forced me to switch to a Pixel.
Is Quad9 working fine w/o added ping rates and connection drops? Quad9, Cloudflare are sometimes are unusable and I'm using google dns.
Is Google authenticator still supported by Google I thought it was deprecated so I switched to MS Authenticator for that easier backup/restore even after factory reset is good enough feature that lets to use all 2FA accounts w/o needing re-sync.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Is Quad9 working fine w/o added ping rates and connection drops? Quad9, Cloudflare are sometimes are unusable and I'm using google dns.
Don't know. I use NextDNS

Is Google authenticator still supported by Google I thought it was deprecated so I switched to MS Authenticator for that easier backup/restore even after factory reset is good enough feature that lets to use all 2FA accounts w/o needing re-sync.
I use andOTP which is completely offline. Aegis is good too.
If you know how to make backups by yourself, i highly recommend offline 2FA solutions instead of online.

Anyway that's not the right thread.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Well, since there are going to be no security patches, I have at least installed a firewall and limited apps per domains, IP ranges, ports and blocked the rest, also blocked all apps on WiFi. Quad9 is great in blocking malicious links and botnets, so hopefully that will suffice. Just wondering, whether there is a better AV than Dr.Web Light, it keeps disabling itself lately. :unsure:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Do you recommend to install a custom ROM, like this?
As we know, Ulefone Armor X5 Pro will not receive any official update very soon but now you can try the GSI based Android 11 build. A GSI (generic system image) is a system image with minimal configurations for Android devices. It works as a pure Android implementation without any modifications or changes to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code.
I am not that interested in Android 11 itself, but I assume that I will get a clean Android that will be updatable? I will probably only lose stock apps, which I do not use anyway.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Do you recommend to install a custom ROM, like this?
No, for many reasons.

I am not that interested in Android 11 itself,
Why did you plan using this ROM then?

but I assume that I will get a clean Android that will be updatable?
Depends how good the ROM is maintained.

I will probably only lose stock apps
Most important: you loose security and depending on vendor, even your warranty.
It also can break your device.

If you post what your goal is, I can recommend better alternative.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Android with security updates.
Google Pixel.
Cheapest one from latest model is 4a. 5a should coming in fall again. The "a" model is always behind non-a model but also cheaper. Security is same on both.
Pixel's provide 3+ years support.

3a only get updates until may 2022:

If you want higher security and privacy, flash GrapheneOS on it.

Vincent Valentine

Level 2
Verified
Feb 8, 2018
Well, since there are going to be no security patches, I have at least installed a firewall and limited apps per domains, IP ranges, ports and blocked the rest, also blocked all apps on WiFi. Quad9 is great in blocking malicious links and botnets, so hopefully that will suffice. Just wondering, whether there is a better AV than Dr.Web Light, it keeps disabling itself lately. :unsure:
If you're looking for Dr.web alternative try Sophos Intercept X for Mobile I don't know how heavy this would be for your correct phone tho
Use add-on Security & Antivirus Guard with it only if you're facing automatic disable problem.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Well I do not want just any phone, I need a tough phone for work with Bluetooth 5+ support, Android 10+ preferable (for support) and there are not that many options available.
There aren't any ROMs that offer updates like Pixel or GrapheneOS. Most of them have SEpolicy disabled which is security issue pointed by @SecurityNightmares
I do have a rooted phone and kernel tweaker to disable few setting like above.
Only hope with stock firmware is critical updates will be delivered via Play store but SP update should come from OEM.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Only hope with stock firmware is critical updates will be delivered via Play store but SP update should come from OEM.
Yeah, I put my faith in Google Play updates and watching Android exploits news.
At least the firewall works great, I have managed to "BSOD" Android a few times.
I have also learnt that port 7275 is used for Location detection, so not needed.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Yeah, I put my faith in Google Play updates and watching Android exploits news.
At least the firewall works great, I have managed to "BSOD" Android a few times.
I have also learnt that port 7275 is used for Location detection, so not needed.
BSOD a android? This is the first time I'm hearing it. Android has firewall too? I was fed up with 3rd party OEMs breaking stuffs like call drop, mic issues, camera perf. etc after a new update.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.