Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
TeamViewer users say their computers were hijacked and bank accounts emptied all while the software company's systems mysteriously fell offline. TeamViewer denies it has been hacked.

In the past 24 hours, we've seen a spike in complaints from people who say their PCs, Macs and servers were taken over via the widely used remote-control tool on their machines. Even users with strong passwords and two-factor authentication enabled on their TeamViewer accounts say they were hit.

It appears miscreants gained control of victims' TeamViewer web accounts, and used those to connect into computers, where they seized web browsers to empty PayPal accounts, access webmail, and order stuff from Amazon and eBay.

Full Article TeamViewer denies hack after PCs hijacked, PayPal accounts drained

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I got affected by this. I had 2FA on which means there should be no way anyone except me can gain access to my account. For some reason however, they were able to.

2FA can save your butt. However after I am done using my browser I log out of my google and MalwareTips accounts. Sometimes its also easier to write checks and other credentials than doing on a possibly getting hijacked computers. Anything can happen after all. ;)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I got affected by this. I had 2FA on which means there should be no way anyone except me can gain access to my account. For some reason however, they were able to.
If i may ask did you have the program running or they somehow got in just from the teamviewer service?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

@rigor, I hope your breach was minimal, stoppable now that it's been revealed, & (hopefully) suffered zero loss.

Although, I am currently not a user of TeamViewer, this article was so unsettling I've checked that neither this system nor it's apps have remote access activated.

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014

Did a random account try to add you as a friend by any chance? There was an unknown account requesting to be my friend, I thought nothing of it at first but now that I read this, I'm thinking it might be connected.

Side note I keep teamviewer closed when I'm not using it and I think it's much safer that way seeing that it's basically a way that might allow someone to view or control your entire PC

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
BackDoor.TeamViewer.49 is the name of a backdoor trojan discovered by Russian security vendor Dr.Web, who claims it will install the TeamViewer application on infected computers so that it can relay Web traffic from the crook to other servers on the Internet, effectively using the host as a proxy server.

Dr.Web researchers, together with security experts from Yandex, first discovered the trojan at the start of May, distributed via a complex multi-stage mechanism.

Initial infection occurs via a tainted Adobe Flash update package
Users don't get infected with BackDoor.TeamViewer directly, but first through a malware dropper called Trojan.MulDrop6.39120, which Dr.Web says is distributed online together with an Adobe Flash Player update package.

When users install this malicious Flash Player update, they get a legitimate Flash version, but also the Trojan.MulDrop6 trojan, which secretly installs TeamViewer on the victim's computer.

Dropping TeamViewer on infected devices is not something new, but the crooks don't use it to log into the victim's PC and take control of the device. Dr.Web claims that TeamViewer is used for something else.

Crooks don't steal anything from infected devices
Crooks replaced TeamViewer's avicap32.dll file with a malicious version that contains the BackDoor.TeamViewer trojan. Since TeamViewer automatically runs avicap32.dll in the OS memory, crooks only need to add auto-run functions to TeamViewer and make sure the app's icon is hidden from the Windows notification area.

After the criminals make all the necessary modifications and TeamViewer is running, BackDoor.TeamViewer connects via an encrypted channel to the crooks' command and control server, where it waits for instructions.

Dr.Web says that, in the versions it analyzed, the trojan's main function was to operate as a Web proxy, taking traffic it receives from the C&C server and relaying it to the Internet, effectively masking the crooks' real IP.

"While we will have to look closer into this matter, the real issue is the installation of a malware program. Once a system is infected, perpetrators can virtually do anything with that particular system - depending on how intricate the malware is, it can capture the entire system, seize or manipulate information, and so forth," a TeamViewer spokesperson told Softpedia. "So first and foremost, it is important that users protect their systems best they can by having proper anti-malware in place."

source: Windows Trojan Uses TeamViewer to Turn Your PC into a Web Proxy

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
hi, do I get infected if I dont have a teamviewer account? The last time I used to teamviewer to quickly fix my friend's laptop was 30/5. I just used generated ID & password to login
Thanks

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Agreed sis,
I used it frequently with a couple of my clan mates I game with helping config some of the games ini files.
One day TeamViewer started all by itself, launched and attempted to login.
After that I removed it and only install before I use it, and promptly uninstall after.
PeAcE

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
What really happened we will never know. But I only know that 2-3 months ago all of this mess started.

First we had Surprise ransomware, then Proxy trojan and now this.

Until we get a better alternative to TeamViewer, I suggest you all to enable Two Factor authentication for your accounts.

TeamViewer Support – Help regarding licensing and technical issues
This doesn't help when TV is already running. 2FA is only when logging in, not on connections.
Only solution is to only run,not install it and also close it when done. Personally i also have the installer blocked with rehips until i need it.

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Seems like their PR department is not doing a great job in this.

Time to boot them out. :p

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Are you sure about it? To be able to access your computer they need to login your account right?
2FA is activated on login of accounts and you are correct to think it would have stopped them from accessing TV online management but if reports are true it's not the case.
Now how they manage to do it and bypass the 2FA on TV online management page we have no clue because TV is denying they are breached.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong 2FA should be set to on because nothing is confirmed until TV decides to explain the issue. I am just stating that some users report they got "hacked" even when they had 2FA on.
Obviously 2FA is better but we can't be sure it's 100% secure that's why TV should be removed until we do.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.