Telegram Faces Anti-Piracy Referral to US Over Cryptocurrency Plans

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Russia-based anti-piracy outfit AZAPI is threatening to report Telegram to United States authorities including the SEC if the platform does not introduce fingerprinting technologies. The association says that a crackdown is necessary because Telegram's blockchain project TON will be used to anonymously monetize the spread of copyrighted content.

Telegram was founded in 2013 by brothers Nikolai and Pavel Durov, who previously launched Russian social network VK (vKontakte). The messaging service has grown from strength to strength and currently has around 300 million users. However, Telegram is increasingly associated with the spread of copyright-infringing material, as highlighted in October by the RIAA. “Telegram offers many user-created channels which are dedicated to the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted recordings, with some channels focused on particular genres or artists,” the RIAA wrote in its submission to the USTR.

While one submission to US authorities is problematic, Telegram could soon face a few more coming from Russia itself, where a court order exists to prevent ISPs from providing access to the service. The threat comes from the Internet Copyright Protection Association (AZAPI) which represents copyright holders including some of the largest book publishers. AZAPI says it has identified at least 170 Telegram channels that help to distribute pirated content to an audience of several million users. A letter reportedly sent by AZAPI to Telegram (obtained by local news outlet Kommersant) has the anti-piracy outfit complaining that most channels, and indeed Telegram itself, are not responding to copyright complaints.

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I eventually use VK and the VK team is relentless with fake or other accounts that violate the rules. I don't know Telegram but I know that they are trying by all means to get access to all the data that moves in that messaging service. I particularly think that the creators of both VK and Telegram are brilliant.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Never Trust Telegram at all , I read a reported about that Telegram do't work with Police for investigate aganist ISIS member.

They are clearly do't ban Terrorist you may read it:

and also you may find many bunch of Cracking & hacking Chanel in this app @windscribe confirmed it what I mean :)

Reactions: Venustus

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Never Trust Telegram at all , I read a reported about that Telegram do't work with Police for investigate aganist ISIS member.

They are clearly do't ban Terrorist you may read it:

and also you may find many bunch of Cracking & hacking Chanel in this app @windscribe confirmed it what I mean :)
I think one of Telegram's ideology is to not share customer data with anyone and the founder Pavel Durov has been always pretty vocal about it. Also the freedom of speech. But I surely understand the criticism it receives for not working with government in special cases like terrorists. If they break their promises once then they might have to break it many times more. So, I think it's far more complicated.
Anyway, I love using Telegram and I think it's best chatting service out there. Security wise it's fine and usability, speed, feature wise nothing comes close to it. The person I talk to the most happens to be a Telegram fan as well and I wish I could move all of my friends and family members from messenger to telegram.

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
-We need to see Telegram messages... Invent something!
-Well, there are terrorists there!
-That's a good basis to start pressing to get the messages from all the people.

(This is a leaked conversation from the authorities) :LOL:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I think one of Telegram's ideology is to not share customer data with anyone and the founder Pavel Durov has been always pretty vocal about it. Also the freedom of speech. But I surely understand the criticism it receives for not working with government in special cases like terrorists. If they break their promises once then they might have to break it many times more. So, I think it's far more complicated.
Anyway, I love using Telegram and I think it's best chatting service out there. Security wise it's fine and usability, speed, feature wise nothing comes close to it. The person I talk to the most happens to be a Telegram fan as well and I wish I could move all of my friends and family members from messenger to telegram.
There is no TOS & Privacy Policy on their Website about "not share info with any other" :unsure:
The head of Telegram in UAE , they have restrict & hard internet monitoring in this country , link:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
There is no TOS & Privacy Policy on their Website about "not share info with any other" :unsure:
The head of Telegram in UAE , they have restrict & hard internet monitoring in this country , link:
Their FAQ section cover almost every question normally someone may have and they also provided some links there. I found the link of Privacy Policy there: Telegram Privacy Policy
The Dubai part is interesting 🤔
This is how their headquarter info is written on Wiki
tel.PNG
Operational center in UAE, UK for legal domicile.
This is from their faq:
The Telegram team had to leave Russia due to local IT regulations and has tried a number of locations as its base, including Berlin, London and Singapore. We’re currently happy with Dubai, although are ready to relocate again if local regulations change.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Telegram is good for large groups, but people seem to forget that aside from mobile-only "Secret Chats", it isn't end-to-end encrypted. They can read your direct and group messages just like any other company - you have to trust them.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Their FAQ section cover almost every question normally someone may have and they also provided some links there. I found the link of Privacy Policy there: Telegram Privacy Policy
The Dubai part is interesting 🤔
This is how their headquarter info is written on Wiki
View attachment 230289
Operational center in UAE, UK for legal domicile.
This is from their faq:
Good to hear that , I change my mind :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.