Telegram Gained 3 Million New Users During WhatsApp, Facebook Outage

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
While the outage was quite troubling both for the social media giant and its millions of users, guess who benefits the most out of the incident?

TELEGRAM.

Pavel Durov, the founder of the popular secure messaging platform Telegram, claims to have had a surge in sign-ups within the last 24 hours, at the time duration when its rival messaging services were facing downtime.

"I see 3 million new users signed up for Telegram within the last 24 hours," Durov wrote on his Telegram channel. "Good. We have true privacy and unlimited space for everyone."

Telegram is an excellent alternative to Facebook's Messenger and WhatsApp services, offering users an optional end-to-end encrypted messaging feature, so that no one, not even Telegram, can access them.

Telegram adopted end-to-end encryption support way back in 2013—three years before WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
The telegram has previously faced restrictions and bans in countries like Iran, as well as in its home country Russia, after Durov refused to comply with government requests for encryption keys and information on its users.

"In 5+ years, Telegram disclosed exactly zero bytes of private data to third-parties including governments. That's why Telegram is banned by authoritarian governments such as Russia and Iran. Other apps such as WhatsApp have no issues with there," Durov said in a tweet.

Since Durov telegram message doesn't offer any explanation for the sudden spike in the Telegram sign-ups, The Hacker News has reached out to him and will update this article as soon as we hear back.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
3 million new users, but how many will return to Facebook-owned WhatsApp?
If they signed up then their friends probably signed up. They'd need extra motivation for both of them to come back.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
This is what we call luck. Som
Luck? no luck.
very good privacy policy+Good security+cloud based and fast+unlimietd storage+no dmca+no Copyright #####+no backdoor
in telegram you can do whatever you want.
But one question comes into mind, what is Telegram's revenue source?
they already have enough money.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Sadly, I cannot uninstall WhatsApp because I work with it (all my clients use it), but I use Telegram too and it's so much better, much more stable and fluid. Even the PC version works better and doesn't rely on the Android app to work.

That happened to my family/friends because they dont understand technology haha..

Reactions: RoboMan

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.