Ten Years of SpyShelter - version 12 and more :)

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
"Posted on October 21, 2019 in News | Blog Homepage

Today we released SpyShelter version 12.0 together with brand new edition of SpyShelter Free.

10 Years – this is how long we have been helping you to keep your privacy safe. It has been a long journey, and on this anniversary, we celebrate by bringing back a new, revamped version of SpyShelter Free, available on our Download page.
It is a bit different than previous version of SpyShelter Free. It focuses on providing real time system protection together with a firewall module, all wrapped up in the classic SpyShelter GUI.

SpyShelter – where classic solutions are more important than trends.
Thank you for 10 years of your continuous support.

SpyShelter 12.0 Changelog (21/Oct/2019):

– Fixed bugs with protection handling from tray icon
– Internal database with signatures of trusted signers updated"

Version comparision
191022091127_1.jpg

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
Is there any software that is not compatible to SpyShelter Firewall Free? Anybody have a list? I am running KSC Free, OSArmor, MBAE, Windows Firewall, and Sandboxie 5.18 - for Palemoon only. Also can Spyshelter be installed over itself on the next update or does it have to be uninstalled first? Thanks guys!

Forgot to ask if Windows Firewall has to be used for SpyShelter Firewall to work. Thanks.

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Is there any software that is not compatible to SpyShelter Firewall Free? Anybody have a list? I am running KSC Free, OSArmor, MBAE, Windows Firewall, and Sandboxie 5.18 - for Palemoon only. Also can Spyshelter be installed over itself on the next update or does it have to be uninstalled first? Thanks guys!
Forgot to ask if Windows Firewall has to be used for SpyShelter Firewall to work. Thanks.
I don't think you'll have compatibility problems. At the beginning the notifications are many, it also has some problems with the applications of games like blizzard or steam. But beyond that the program goes well.
It does use the Windows firewall driver.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Gave v.12 a try, lasted about 2 hours, way too many popups. Now I knew this would happen, that the hips component would be chatty and that in time I could probably "tame" it. For me this is no issue, for the other person using this computer a big issue. Don't really need it anyways, just wanted to give it a quick "testdrive", for anyone who likes hips I think it would work really well for them as not too many left.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Gave v.12 a try, lasted about 2 hours, way too many popups. Now I knew this would happen, that the hips component would be chatty and that in time I could probably "tame" it. For me this is no issue, for the other person using this computer a big issue. Don't really need it anyways, just wanted to give it a quick "testdrive", for anyone who likes hips I think it would work really well for them as not too many left.

It's great that they offer this free version but it's not to my taste. This is for the "hardcores" in the community.

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Oh wow they're providing Firewall in free version. How good is it?
It's the same firewall module except one not monitored action - #53 "Execution of an aplicaton" connected rahter to anti-exe possibility of SS. You can create/modify rules in the same way as in paid version.

The firewall is not integrated into the Windows security center, is there any way it looks into the security center?
It's not an issue...it's the developer's decision made years ago and has no influence on SpyHelter's job in system.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Thanks for flagging up the free version of SpS. I have used the paid version in the past and liked it then. I've tried other products since and have just installed the new free version of SpS on a Win 7 PC, I'd been using Zonealarm Free Firewall on it.

Using SpS instead of ZoneAlarm, with similar settings for both programs and without changing anything else on the PC, has sped up my machine a lot - general application response times, both online and offline. I'd done an OS re-install a few months before this and as so often can be the case there were a few things bugging me that had not occurred in previous installations of the same Microsoft OS on the same PC. One was when using the mouse, right click for context menu, left-clicking on 'New' then 'Folder' would cause the PC to hang for approximately 5-30 seconds before 'New Folder' appeared. This no longer happens. I can't for the life of me work out why this has changed with the removal of the Zonealarm free firewall, but I'm not complaining! I'd previously looked for ways to fix the issue without finding a successful solution, I'd even been tempted by a new OS installation.

So far, so good, its only been a few days since I started using SpS again but I am very happy with it so far.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I used & had a licence & do for another month but always found it huge a pain in the posterior after a while, eventually gave up on it never to use again, may have been me? Instead I use HMP.A which I now get along with quite well, though I appreciate they are not the same.

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
First - everything depends on our needs and expectations but the most important in using similar apps are our skills and knowledge. That's why SpyShelter offers different levels of protection, hudge base of trusted in own built-in WL and a lot of optional features.
Second - in next step the way in how it works depends on choosen settings and enabled features...and of course on our willing to "talk" with SS :)
SpyShelter is very light in recourses because it don't scan/controll every file or process when open it..once created rules just work and don't need to be updated using Dev's servers It don't needs something like signature also so is focused on protected system, apps and data.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
t's not an issue...it's the developer's decision made years ago and has no influence on SpyHelter's job in system.
What could influence such a decision of the developers? Indeed, many will perceive the warning from the system security center as evidence of the vulnerability of the system.

Reactions: [correlate]
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Security Center was made for AVs, not alternative mechanism like HIPS or Sandboxes, so SpS not registering in it isn't big deal. All my favorite 3rd party softs don't register, and I won't care anyway if they do or not.

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
As usually @Umbra is right :) I don't see some spectacular... important... profits for 3rd party software.

Reactions: [correlate]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.