Terra Privacy's Hacker Deterrent Pro

Discussion in 'Other Security for Windows' started by Umbra, Jun 2, 2017.

?

Will you try Terra Privacy's Hacker Deterrent Pro?

1. Yes

46.8%
  2. No

53.2%
  1. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Official Website:
    https://terraprivacy.com/hacker-deterrent-pro/
    Build version:
    Beta releases may be unstable and contain unreported bugs
    Interesting :D

Opcode, Sunshine-boy, shmu26 and 17 others like this.
  2. SHvFl

SHvFl Level 31
    Content Creator Trusted

Nov 19, 2014
    Supermodel for McDonald's
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Interesting but sounds too good to be true. Will give it a go when i get some more time and see if it actually does what they are saying I am pretty sure it's really hard to confirm it.

3. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Basically the thing act as a kind of "FW BB" monitoring for all kind of outbound connections. (browser, programs, metro apps, etc....) . i like that , very useful.

4. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
  5. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Video :

The interesting facts :

Opcode, Tiny, simmerskool and 3 others like this.
  6. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    #6 Umbra, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    so in the screenshot , you can see the monitored stuff and terminate what you don't want connecting to the net.

The second screenshot show what the page uses.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      54.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      387.2 KB
      Views:
  7. pablozi

pablozi Level 22
    Trusted

Jun 14, 2011
    Netherlands
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Cannot the same be accomplished by setting up the rules in the firewall?

8. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 51
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    Agreed, but it does look interesting. The problem is I have a setup that accomplishes this softwares goal already, and I
    am not ready to dump what I have. "for me" it would not be filling a gap, it would be useless overlap.
    I hope that makes sense.
    Cool share anyway.

9. Michael Wood

Michael Wood From Terra Privacy
    Developer

Jun 13, 2017
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Firewall rules cannot accomplish what Hacker Deterrent Pro does. As but one example, let's say that you visit a site such as cnn.com. Hacker Deterrent Pro automatically discovers all the sites that cnn.com needs to generate the page (usually around 100 other sites) and it automatically adds these sites to the Transient Whitelist. The moment you close cnn.com, all of these entries are immediately removed from the Transient Whitelist. No firewall rules accomplish this.

Transient Whitelisting offers many security benefits that traditional firewalls don't provide. First, Transient Whitelisting only allows traffic to the webpages you have open and the sites needed to generate those pages. All other browser traffic is blocked. In other words, all browser-injected trojans and browser-imitating trojans remain blocked. Second, by automatically removing entries from the whitelist, you are protected if you are tricked into accessing a malicious site. The moment you leave the malicious site, all your connections to the site are immediately removed from whitelist, closing off the possibility of the website establishing a permanent backdoor.

Hacker Deterrent Pro offers numerous protections that cannot be obtained through firewall rules. Kindly see the bottom of the website at TerraPrivacy.com for both a list of those protections along with links to video demonstrations of each.

Opcode, Sunshine-boy, shmu26 and 4 others like this.
  10. Michael Wood

Developer

Jun 13, 2017
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    What security do you use to block trojans from connecting to command and control centers after they've successfully injected themselves into your browser? This is one of the many features we believe is unique to Hacker Deterrent Pro. However, if there's other software that accomplishes this then it would be helpful to know.

Opcode, XhenEd and simmerskool like this.
  11. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 15

Jan 27, 2017
    IT Security Engineer
    USA
    Linux
    I've been using this for months now.

It's how I discovered Trend Micro Processes sending data to telemetry/data mining firms and Booz Allen Hamilton. Strangely, my Fortigate 200D didn't show this traffic but I don't have the Fortinet RCA installed to peel open encrypted traffic so it probably skipped my observation. I also don't have the Untangle RCA so it passed that. But this showed the traffic.

One good part is, you don't have to dig around and whois anything it finds, it does that for you.

12. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    AppGuard LLC Virginia, U.S.
    This can be done with Windows firewall.

Alexandru, the developer of Windows Firewall Control, sets his system up precisely as above.

Then he enables Windows Update firewall rule, updates Windows, then disables the firewall rule.

Basically, he blackholes his system with the bare minimum firewall rules.

13. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 15

Jan 27, 2017
    IT Security Engineer
    USA
    Linux
    It can really be done with anything.. My Fortinet on the gateway and Untangle in transparent already do some of this..

Personally, it's something I would use as a diagnostic tool in testing then uninstall it and if necessary put appropriate blocks in the UTM.

14. Michael Wood

Developer

Jun 13, 2017
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hacker Deterrent Pro offers numerous protections that aren't found anywhere else. For example, what other software solely allows the webpages you have open and the sites they need to generate the page while blocking everything else? To the best of our knowledge, only Hacker Deterrent Pro does this.

For example, if you open cnn.com, Hacker Deterrent Pro only allows traffic to cnn.com and the sites that webpage needs. All other traffic is blocked. In other words, browser-injected trojans and browser-imitating trojans remain blocked. To the best of our knowledge, this type of (necessary) security is unique to Hacker Deterrent Pro. If you could kindly share other software that does the same, that would be helpful.

Opcode, GonzitoVir, Jack and 2 others like this.
  15. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 15

Jan 27, 2017
    IT Security Engineer
    USA
    Linux
    Hey Michael,

Your software was priceless in my testing. It established the link between Trend Micro and 'suspect' firms, as well as their links to Booz Allen Hamilton(NSA). That's changed everything for me and a few people I know.. See this thread;

Why does Trend Micro send telemetry to data mining firms?

I'm building out a spare box at home into a test machine for your program to see what I can find other AV/Security products doing behind the scenes.. It should be eye opening!

Opcode, Sunshine-boy, AtlBo and 2 others like this.
  16. Michael Wood

Developer

Jun 13, 2017
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I'm glad our software helped. Thanks for letting me know.

Here's a test you can include if you'd like:
    • Install any security software you'd like.
    • Install any browser plugin that communicates across the internet (such as Ghostery, NoScript, etc.).
    • See if the security software allows the plugin to communicate without requiring your express permission.
    The reason this test is important is that browser plugins communicate via the same internal channel as browser-injected trojans. If your plugins don't require your express permission than neither do browser-injected trojans. However, if the security software does separate this communication channel from webpage traffic then it's doing the same thing as our software. However, to the best of our knowledge, our patent-pending approach is unique in this essential regard.

I'm looking forward to hearing the results of any testing you perform.

Opcode, Sunshine-boy, AtlBo and 2 others like this.
  17. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 15

Jan 27, 2017
    IT Security Engineer
    USA
    Linux
    I can already tell the answer.. Every AV product I have tested doesn't differentiate between plugin and web traffic. Heimdal might actually do this though, I've had it stop some malicious plugins on some test boxes. I can't validate that with any actual lab results however. I'm thinking your product might be really effective against state sponsored threats as it's validating the paths back to servers from all processes and denying those that aren't explicitly assigned to the core domain.

18. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 15

Jan 27, 2017
    IT Security Engineer
    USA
    Linux
    From a marketing standpoint, I fear this won't appeal to the majority but will find a home with the hardcore, IT guys and truly paranoid.

My opinion on that is - offer a 'lite' version, that blocks/notifies of background process activity, such as Trend Micro connecting to Booz rather than Trend domains. Leave it at that. Then offer 'advanced' options or advanced version that has all of the other stuff like the browser things.. I can't install something like this on a normal PC because it would block way too much browsing on normal websites without constant whitelisting.

I'd create the lite version, drop the product into the tray, then have a sliding notification that pops up when something like Avira connects to Mixpanel or Trend connects to Booz. Auto-Block that crap, then allow the user to manually whitelist. I'd pay solid cash for something like that which I can run un-attended on a large number of PC's to keep that background trash from stealing telemetry.

TerrakionSmash, Opcode, AtlBo and 2 others like this.
  19. darko999

darko999 Level 16

Oct 2, 2014
    #19 darko999, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    I played with it a bit this afternoon found it very handy when you want make sure everything is in order. Clean interface. Does well what it says it does. More impressive is that it did work with no issues alongside Comodo FW and MBAE. I just had to release the padlock for these ones but that's it.

Opcode and simmerskool like this.
  20. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 15

Jan 27, 2017
    IT Security Engineer
    USA
    Linux
    Did you find your apps running pretty clean?

So far, I have found Heimdal, CCleaner Cloud, Sync, Dr. Web and any other apps not mentioned to all be very clean apps. Previous dirty ones already mentioned. But as soon as I get time I am going to toss this on an Optiplex 780 and run through all of the AV products to watch where there processes phone home to. I was a bit surprised, Dr. Web is absolutely clean and actually has very very limited traversal of data (with cloud on). Heimdal is as clean as a whistle in terms of background activity, only checking cloud/updates and GoogleDNS once in awhile.