RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz
Storage: 128GB SSD

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes I was afraid of that that's why I had no WD enabled but some MT members suggested to use WD at least. But seriously I don't know.
I still have 221 days from HMPA.
What should I ditch?

Absolutely no OSA.

WD and HMPA if you want to finish out that license and you're happy with their performance.

If you go with WD + H_C I wouldn't use Simplewall. Three together is too much going on for my taste. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: My preference is for the simple setup. Find what's comfortable for you, but remember: Stay safe, not paranoid! :D

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
If you go with WD + H_C I wouldn't use Simplewall. Three together is too much going on for my taste. Just my 2 cents.
The FirewallHardening app inside the H_C package? Great for adding recommended rules and custom rules. Should do the job (y)
@Thales SimpleWall does not have an option to ask for connections right? If the advanced config and analysis is not needed, it could better be removed. I'll just reflect that.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The FirewallHardening app inside the H_C package? Great for adding recommended rules and custom rules. Should do the job (y)
@Thales SimpleWall does not have an option to ask for connections right? If the advanced config and analysis is not needed, it could better be removed. I'll just reflect that.
Just to inform, SimpleWall is able to ask for outbound connections, so @Thales may like to keep it as FW

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017

It has! I use it because I need to click less and easier to enable or disable something if I have to. At least easier to find something than in WFC or Tinywall.
1585941594091.png

Very simple program and user friendly :D.

Thank you Guys all of your suggestions. I'm gonna pick a combo you have suggested.
HMPA is very light btw.

Last edited:

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
So, I removed H_C and OSArmor completely.

My Config now is
HMPA + WD + SimpleWall

I'm not gonna buy HMPA in the future. It is light but does nothing or just my habits are good :D
I wanna use it till my license ends because otherwise it would be waste of money..

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
So, I removed H_C and OSArmor completely.

My Config now is
HMPA + WD + SimpleWall

I'm not gonna buy HMPA in the future. It is light but does nothing or just my habits are good :D
I wanna use it till my license ends because otherwise it would be waste of money..
So no more default deny ?
or did you set some via group policy?

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Ohhh another notice. Since removed the KeepassXC browser extension everything is fast again. No hiccups, youtube and everything is responsive. So, I mentioned it is far from perfect but it also caused slowdown.

So no more default deny ?
or did you set some via group policy?

No, not for now.
SRP would be the last resort but I need some air and I disabled the protected folder option too in WD because it was bothering me.
Honestly default deny is awesome and provides the safe feeling but it is for masochist. :D

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Just a little change
Replaced Macrium with O&O DiskImage 12
Macrium is better and served well but I got the giveaway and I can encrypt the image with O&O. That's all. Also it has no any option to add Win PE to the boot sector. I have to use USB. Sad but because it is rarely used I can live with it.
Added Privacy Eraser
2 cleaners are better than 1 and they are fully automated

My system is completely boring.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Just a little change
Replaced Macrium with O&O DiskImage 12
Macrium is better and served well but I got the giveaway and I can encrypt the image with O&O. That's all. Also it has no any option to add Win PE to the boot sector. I have to use USB. Sad but because it is rarely used I can live with it.
Added Privacy Eraser
2 cleaners are better than 1 and they are fully automated

My system is completely boring.
Boring is good. On this forum exciting is a bad thing :ROFLMAO:

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I restored my system from an image file and realized that can't remove OSArmor. The uninstall is not working.
Not a big deal just I don't really need it right now.
Should I use the "force removal" option of geek uninstaller? or any solution?

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I restored all settings in WPD (Windows privacy board) and in O&O shutup and surprisingly I could uninstall the OSA.
I ran into other problems. I don't care the telemetry but I would like to avoid the slowdown because of unnecessary services. However some of them are deeply integrated and disabling them could cause problems and other services won't run. This mess.... so many telemetries and crap services. sad

Last edited:

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
I restored all settings in WPD (Windows privacy board) and in O&O shutup and surprisingly I could uninstall the OSA.
I ran into other problems. I don't care the telemetry but I would like to avoid the slowdown because of unnecessary services. However some of them are deeply integrated and disabling them could cause problems and other services won't run. This mess.... so many telemetries and crap services. sad
Why u wanna disable them, i just put them in manual.
There is a trick, open powershell with admin privileges and use the follow command:
get-service | set-service -startuptype manual
After this unnecessary service will not start automatically. I have to set automatic just the audio service after . There are chance some third-party service may not work in manual service, like binisoft WFC, and u have to set up again automatic.
If u experience some sort of errors and wanna revert it, just type in powershell:
get-service | set-service -startuptype auto
So all services will be in automatic mode

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.