: AMD Ryzen 3 2200U
GPU: Radeon Vega Mobile GFX
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz
Storage: 128GB SSD

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I restored all settings in WPD (Windows privacy board) and in O&O shutup and surprisingly I could uninstall the OSA.
I ran into other problems. I don't care the telemetry but I would like to avoid the slowdown because of unnecessary services. However some of them are deeply integrated and disabling them could cause problems and other services won't run. This mess.... so many telemetries and crap services. sad
O&O shutup is much safer and never created any problem. WPD disables many Windows Services specially if you changed advanced settings too which could be problematic and I guess it was the culprit in your case. O&O works without any issue. You may also use O&O App Buster to completely remove unwanted pre-installed apps.

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
O&O shutup is much safer and never created any problem. WPD disables many Windows Services specially if you changed advanced settings too which could be problematic and I guess it was the culprit in your case. O&O works without any issue. You may also use O&O App Buster to completely remove unwanted pre-installed apps.

Thank you. Yeah I didn't know which one could be the problem.
I also use O&O Diskimage. They make great softwares.

Since I removed WPD everything is faster even the browser itself. lol

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
"2020.04.02 I blocked scripts globally in brave except sites I trust"

I do the same. The "Allow scripts once" feature is very nice. I can't say enough good things about the Shields UI.

I'd like to see an Edge-like Favorites icon in the toolbar though! Seems like a simple feature they could implement.

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
All right, so I switched from Onedrive to MEGA again. Speed-wise it's almost the same and I could transfer 100GB to MEGA within a couple of hours.
In the near future I will buy two external SSD and will not pay for any cloud service.
My 6 months old laptop is ok-ish for now but I definitely need a better PC. Maybe the end of this year or I hope sooner.

Last edited:

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Little big changes

- I reinstalled Win10 from scratch tried Win8.1 but I had driver issues, so back to W10.
- Deleted KFC and added OSArmor again. Stick to HMPA and I'm happy with this combo.
- Added WFC again. Simplewall is also good I just feel WFC is lighter and I used it for years.
- Also I deleted all telemetry/service blockers because they make my system heavier. Seriously my system is lighter without them and I can deny the internet access in WFC.
- No VPN but will continue with Wireguard (mullwad or Azire) in the next month.

My only problem is the browser. Slow and stumble (I think this is the right word). I'm sure the adblocker is the problem here. I tried brave with the same result with it's built-in adblcker.
Now I use edge chromium and tried AdBlockerPlus, Adblocker, AdGuard, Ublock Origin but same thing happened. Now I'm using it without adblocker.
Maybe NanoAdblocker. It seems light but will try it for days.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
My only problem is the browser. Slow and stumble (I think this is the right word). I'm sure the adblocker is the problem here. I tried brave with the same result with it's built-in adblcker.
Now I use edge chromium and tried AdBlockerPlus, Adblocker, AdGuard, Ublock Origin but same thing happened. Now I'm using it without adblocker.
Maybe NanoAdblocker. It seems light but will try it for days.
Any suggestions?
Those browser slowdowns are or should be not normal.
Can you try Google Chrome as browser?
Do you have the same slowdowns with it?
Let us know your opinion of Nano adblocker after a few days of use.

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
My test has done.
Result:
With Nano Adblocker everything is fast as it should be. It seems the problem was the Adblocker not the HMPA because I had the same result w or w/o HMPA. I uninstalled HMPA and installed KFC during the test but it slowed my system down. My system was unusable, so I deleted KFC and installed Nod32 Antivirus instead. I think I'm gonna keep Nod32 in the future along with OSA.

Ohh and Back to Macrium Reflect because I really like it. O&O DiskImage 12 is also good but I always had to decrypt my drive before the restore. Sigh

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Added BitDefender free
Because a lot of MT users recommend Bitdefender free as a main Antivirus I decided to try it. So far so good.
Added Mullvad VPN again
The COVID misery is over and I need a faster and stable VPN that supports Wireguard. It's a shame Windscribe makes excuses to avoid Wireguard.

Cookie
Autodelete is awesome guys! It is Super-Mega-Double-Awesome!

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
1. Removed ESET Nod 32
because I have no free codes anymore. Only for Mobile Security. Sigh
2. Added McAfee IS
6 months promo, thank you. It is light however I disabled the Firewall module.
Let's see how long I can manage to keep it :D If it fails I'm gonna buy a new Nod32 AV licence or go back to WD.

I only trust a few Internet Security suits. I think OSA or H_C or SysHardenner + a simple AV is better than most IS.

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I have a referral code that will give you additional 30 days of protection. Let me know if you need it. Not just me though, any user using ESET can share their referral code and you can get upto 6 months of free trial.
Thank you. It seems McAfee is light as ESET.

Are you uninstalling and installing these AVs every time, or are you installing on a clean image?

Both. I have an image to restore and I always try to make it better.
Usually I restore the clean image in every 1 or 2 month or if I feel something slows my PC down.
I try to uninstall AV's completely but sometimes I fail and a clean install is necessary but it takes 10 min.
for example I uninstalled Bitdefender free but a Bitdefender module (maybe Bitdefender Agent) remained on my PC. Strange.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.