RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz
Storage: 128GB SSD

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Thank you. It seems McAfee is light as ESET.

Both. I have an image to restore and I always try to make it better.
Usually I restore the clean image in every 1 or 2 month or if I feel something slows my PC down.
I try to uninstall AV's completely but sometimes I fail and a clean install is necessary but it takes 10 min.
for example I uninstalled Bitdefender free but a Bitdefender module (maybe Bitdefender Agent) remained on my PC. Strange.
Bitdefender it's strange in that question.

It keeps Bitdefender Agent as a "software" to see if you had the Av installed on your system and keep the product functioning.

It helps to reinstall the Av faster again too, but could be a headache if you need to change the Av.

Hopefully, it is uninstalled when you execute the official removal tool in their website.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Bitdefender it's strange in that question.

It keeps Bitdefender Agent as a "software" to see if you had the Av installed on your system and keep the product functioning.

It helps to reinstall the Av faster again too, but could be a headache if you need to change the Av.

Hopefully, it is uninstalled when you execute the official removal tool in their website.
I believe BD agent uninstalled automatically last time I tried it, or maybe as a separate, manual process via control panel. In any case, one needs to use the correct BD uninstall tool for it to work, e.g. BD 2020 unintstall tool for current BD Free.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I believe BD agent uninstalled automatically last time I tried it, or maybe as a separate, manual process via control panel. In any case, one needs to use the correct BD uninstall tool for it to work, e.g. BD 2020 unintstall tool for current BD Free.
When I tested an uninstall the other day it was a separate item under add/remove. But I removed it before I ran the tool.

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
McAfee installer did the job for me but had to restart the PC and run the installer manually. 😖
I didn't even know it remained on my PC McAfee noticed me.

Anyway maybe I need a browser extension to block malicious sites like ESET did? Because I disabled the FW module.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The only file I've ever had an AV detect was Configure Defender.

For the browser you could use Malwarebytes since it's privacy friendly and effective, or Bitdefender Trafficlight because it is effective (but sends all urls back home for inspection).

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Added KeepassXC again. It is better and better.
Fixed a lot of bugs and improved the software and the browser extension now is better. Also they added new theme.
Nice changes!

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I think I finally found the best password manager for me. Enpass

Migrated all of my passwords from Keepass/Bitwarden to Enpass. Bitwarden vault is empty now.

I used the in-built TOTP function in Bitwarden and Keepass but not anymore because I stay logged in those websites that requires OTP. This way I rarely have to use Authy. Backup passwords are stored outside of the password manager and uploaded in an encrypted form (234 bit).

Security
Offline :)
Keyfile is added to increase security.

Backup
Auto sync is on (Google).
Keyfile is also encrypted with 234 bit memorable password and synced to the cloud too.
Another 3 cloud sync (iDrive, pCloud, Dropbox) are working at the same time. Totally automatic and no need any maintenance.

Added F-Secure SAFE again. It is light.

1599418538416.png
1599418746608.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I think I finally found the best password manager for me. Enpass

Migrated all of my passwords from Keepass/Bitwarden to Enpass. Bitwarden vault is empty now.

I used the in-built TOTP function in Bitwarden and Keepass but not anymore because I stay logged in those websites that requires OTP. This way I rarely have to use Authy. Backup passwords are stored outside of the password manager and uploaded in an encrypted form (234 bit).

Security
Offline :)
Keyfile is added to increase security.

Backup
Auto sync is on (Google).
Keyfile is also encrypted with 234 bit memorable password and synced to the cloud too.
Another 3 cloud sync (iDrive, pCloud, Dropbox) are working at the same time. Totally automatic and no need any maintenance.

Added F-Secure SAFE again. It is light.

View attachment 245981View attachment 245983
Don't forget to edit your config...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Don't forget to edit your config...
Look great now, F-Secure Safe is an excellent choice.
I think @harlan4096 can delete the staff notes now:
This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of all installed antivirus products.
An option could be to replace OSArmor (when it becomes paid) with Simple Windows Hardening.

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
An option could be to replace OSArmor (when it becomes paid) with Simple Windows Hardening.

I picked OsArmor because I used SysHardener before and had problems. OSA just blocked things while the other one disabled them. Completely ruined my system.
Simple Windows hardening also just block things isn't it?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I picked OsArmor because I used SysHardener before and had problems. OSA just block things while the other one disabled them. Completely ruined my system.
Simple Windows hardening also just disable things isn't it?
That's correct, but it is just set and forget, has clear logs, good support on this forum and hasn't ruined a system I tried it on.

EDIT: it's a combination from blocking and disabling.
From the manual:
In the Basic Recommended Settings, the features are configured as follows:
1. PowerShell is restricted by Constrained Language Mode (non-configurable in SWH).
2. The %WinDir% folder (usually c:\Windows\) is hardened by adding the writable subfolders to UserSpace (non-configurable in SWH).
3. The shortcuts are blocked in UserSpace, except some standard locations like Desktop or Menu Start. If necessary, then shortcucts in non-standard locations can be whitelisted (Manage the Whitelist >> Whitelist By Path >> Add Path*Wildcards).
4. SRP blocks by default unsafe files in UserSpace, except EXE and MSI files. The unsafe files are recognized by the file extensions. These extensions can be added/removed from the Settings menu (Settings >> Protec- 7 ted SRP Extensions).
5. Execution of EXE and MSI files is disallowed from the archiver applications and email clients. This option can be configured from the Settings menu (Settings >> * Attachments and Archivers *).
6. * Elevation of Unsigned Executables * set to Allowed by default, but the user can set it manually to Restricted.
7. * Admin Windows Script Host * set to Allowed by default, but the user can set it manually to Restricted.
8. * Admin PowerShell Scripts * set to Restricted by default.
9. * Documents Anti-Exploit * set to “Adobe + VBA“ by default.
10. * Remote Access * set to Restricted by default.
11. * SMB Protocols * set to Allowed by default, but the user can set it manually to restrict SMB1 Protocol or all SMB 1,2,3 Protocols.
12. Cached Logons are disabled (non-configurable in SWH).
13. Execution of 16-bit processes is disabled (non-configurable in SWH).

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Thales

SysHardener mostly disables/blocks the features in all locations and for all users (also administrators with high privileges). It means that its impact on the system can be sometimes (rarely) destructive. It does not include the Log of blocked events and blocked events cannot be whitelisted. These issues are mostly solved in SWH.
If you like OSA and do not have problems, then there is no need to use SWH. Do not restrict the system too much because OSA blocks processes for all users (also administrators with high privileges). Generally, OSA is for advanced users.
Also, be careful with shortcuts from unsafe locations (USB drive, Downloads folder, etc.), because shortcuts are not blocked by OSA.

Last edited:

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Removed ploud, box, sync.

Installed syncbackpro. The best sync program I've ever used. Even better than goodsync or freefilesync. There is a free version with everything you need. I'm currently using trial but I'm considering to buy the pro version because the pro allows me to sync to many cloud services with one program. However it is a little expensive.

PS: Enpass is amazing. I1m very happy with it. The best password manager for me. (better than Bitwarden or Kepass) IMHO

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Bitwarden users will argue that Enpass is not open-source and therefore not better.

Source: LastPass user.

Yeah :D That would be a pro and con endless argue. Opensource, online, dedicated password manager, browser based etc.

I also use SyncBackFree for years to run/sync my data to external devices, also use Macrium Home to save full system images :)

I saw your recommendation somewhere that's why I switched to syncbackfree and now to the pro. Thanks :D

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Added
F-Secure SAFE and F-Secure Freedome
Like them very much. VPN is stable and fast and the Antivirus is light.

PS: SyncbackPro is the best sync program I've ever used.
No impact at all, highly customizable, supports a lot of cloud storages.
Fully automated. When it detects any changes in the source folder it runs the sync.

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Installed AVG Internet Security
Testing before buying it because there is a low price for 1 year.
I turned off every unnecessary services and privacy is on max.
Feel free to tell me if you think AVG is bad.

McAfee is even more bloated and have impact on my system. I'm sure I could make it lighter but I don' want to.
F-Secure is still good but wanna test AVG.

Attachments

• 1605778366661.png
    1605778366661.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 1605778399901.png
    1605778399901.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 119

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.