Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hi!

A lot of talks were already done considering protection, lightness, etc. about AV and IS Suites to find out the better or best ones.

Now I am talking about TRUST and RESPECT. These surpass just performance and efficiency, they also deal with the company's etiquette and other concerns, like privacy.

My pick: Emsisoft Anti-malware/Internet Security for three reasons:

1.) Very good efficient product for protection - one of the bests out there.
2.) Very good Customer Support - they really value their customers. They even offer to help you clean an infected computer for free, even if you do not use their product. Wow!
3.) They respect your privacy. Emsisoft is one of the two AV vendors that collect the least amount of information from its users.

So Emsi gained my trust and respect from among the rest.

What's yours?

H

hjlbx

Hello,

1. Privacy Policy
A. Emsisoft will never deliberately install backdoor for any government surveillance.
B. Emsisoft will notify user if subpoenaed by court to reveal user info.
2. Excellent forum - both in terms of support and malware removal (forum only, but that's no big deal for
experienced user; experienced user has high tolerance for frustration and is very patient...it will get fixed).
3. Very small, but exceptionally talented team.
4. Emsisoft focuses on constant refinement of their few core products. Stable and refined...do not need ample supply of Bug spray.
5. Bugs and other issues are fixed very fast compared to other AV vendors...because Emsi is focused.
6. Solid overall performance. Stable, reliable, few compatibility issues, high level of protection, etc.
7. I rate it high in terms of learnability and ease-of-use (and they are always striving to improve these).

On my W8.1, low-end system...very good experience.

I like it...so I use it.

If i use it...I have solid protection.

I have problem...I report it.

I report it...it gets fixed.

Who could ask for anything more?

Reactions: juhful

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hello,

1. Privacy Policy
A. Emsisoft will never deliberately install backdoor for any government surveillance.
B. Emsisoft will notify user if subpoenaed by court to reveal user info.
2. Excellent forum - both in terms of support and malware removal (forum only, but that's no big deal for
experienced user; experienced user has high tolerance for frustration and is very patient...it will get fixed).
3. Very small, but exceptionally talented team.
4. Emsisoft focuses on constant refinement of their few core products. Stable and refined...do not need ample supply of Bug spray.
5. Bugs and other issues are fixed very fast compared to other AV vendors...because Emsi is focused.
6. Solid overall performance. Stable, reliable, few compatibility issues, high level of protection, etc.
7. I rate it high in terms of learnability and ease-of-use (and they are always striving to improve these).

On my W8.1, low-end system...very good experience.

I like it...so I use it.

If i use it...I have solid protection.

I have problem...I report it.

I report it...it gets fixed.

Who could ask for anything more?

Before i am going to reply to the topic starter i would like to say the following thing about some of the points you made.
1: Emsisoft will never deliberately install backdoor for any government surveillance.
It is true that Emsisoft will not install any governmental backdoor, like 99% of all other AV programs.
Yet by international law and local law (host nation) some AV vendors are asked and in some cases forced, to allow certain types of governmental cyber software and this is not limited to a surveillance program. Norton, Mcafee, Bitdefender, kaspersky, Nod32 and many many others have the same issues with local and international law enforcement and governmental organisations.

2: Emsisoft will notify user if subpoenaed by court to reveal user info.
Thats a great line, yet in reality if a court orders a seizure of data then in 75% of all cases there also will be a gag order until the investigation is finished and then and only then will a court allow a company to notify the user.

@ifacedown
What program do i like and trust?
Alright: Symantec, Kaspersky, Nod32, Sophos.
Why these 4 names? Well i could list 20 names, yet they are pretty much the same in service and everything else...
But yeah these 4 as example would get my vote any day.

H

hjlbx

Hello Nico,

Thank you for those infos as I did not know.

As you work in IT forensics that is good.

See what I mean about being user and not have all knowledge?

There is not substitute for knowledge and experience.

Reactions: scot

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well as I have experience on using antivirus, well everything will treated as trustworthy regarding in privacy policy since there's none of any incidents happen to breach and exposed to the public caused that's the number one thumb of the rule as written and declared on their own.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
What program do i like and trust?
Alright: Symantec, Kaspersky, Nod32, Sophos.
Why these 4 names? Well i could list 20 names, yet they are pretty much the same in service and everything else...
But yeah these 4 as example would get my vote any day

Hello... could you please tell even some few reasons? Thanks

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Avast, Qihoo (this is what I voted), Kaspersky, ESET, Emsisoft, Microsoft (if that counts).

Hmm, I would connect some products with countries:

1. Qihoo = China (Don't know their secret services)
2. Kaspersky = Russia (FSB)
3. Microsoft = USA (NSA)

Not sure about Avast..

So basically I would choose ESET or Emsisoft.

Regards,
Kardo

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014

3. Microsoft = USA (NSA)

Not sure about Avast..

Regards,
Kardo
Do you think that some AVs have biases to their origin countries in the area of privacy concerns, etc./

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Do you think that some AVs have biases to their origin countries in the area of privacy concerns, etc./

Not exactly.. but I heard or read that it is possible that mentioned countries may collect users data via mentioned products...

Regards,
Kardo

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hello... could you please tell even some few reasons? Thanks
As i said: "Well i could list 20 names, yet they are pretty much the same in service and everything else..."
In regards to the additional reasons about Symantec, Kaspersky, Nod32, Sophos.
I think they are pretty obvious, every single product above are the absolute top in their own respective right.
Where one might have a great detection, the other boost a awesome firewall....all in all neither of these products are going to let you down and neither of these products are offering so so services, and all of these products have at least a decade of proven reputation.
Aint that enough reasons to vote for them?
Sure i could list other names, but on a technical level all of them are different and yet down the line they are pretty much the same, so that would be more a personal choice then rather then technical necessity.

Cheers

Reactions: Neno and scot

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
As i said: "Well i could list 20 names, yet they are pretty much the same in service and everything else..."
In regards to the additional reasons about Symantec, Kaspersky, Nod32, Sophos.
I think they are pretty obvious, every single product above are the absolute top in their own respective right.
Where one might have a great detection, the other boost a awesome firewall....all in all neither of these products are going to let you down and neither of these products are offering so so services, and all of these products have at least a decade of proven reputation.
Aint that enough reasons to vote for them?
Sure i could list other names, but on a technical level all of them are different and yet down the line they are pretty much the same, so that would be more a personal choice then rather then technical necessity.

Cheers
The explanation makes it better.

Thanks

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014

3. Microsoft = USA (NSA)

Not sure about Avast..

Regards,
Kardo

Please, if you read EULA on all AVs you will see how they really are. I know what I am talking about and that is what I respect and trust, why ? well I did research and talked with people (also my own tests). There is also one of the best product I ever seen. But, it was bought by IBM (Black Ice PC Protect)

I don't wanna say more, I wanna let people think and research, test. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.