Battle The best second opinion malware scanner?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Each is going to detect different things. Malwarebytes is good against PUPs but has fallen so far that I wouldn't even consider using it to detect malware.
HitmanPro and Zemana are both good at detecting malware. I personally prefer Zemana due to the fact it allows removal without paying for their product unlike HMP (disregarding the 30-day free trail).
Can't speak for the other three. I've only ever used EEK once and I've never used eScan or Dr.Web.

Reactions: Faybert

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
Using more than one 2nd opinion scanner is a good practice.
Personally I would suggest HitmanPro and Zemana Anti-Malware.
One I would not suggest is Malwarebytes - is not as good as it was before.

agree. mwb is very heavy on system resources. i use zemana which is lighter, easier to use, and effective!

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
The best antivirus, the best BB, the best scanner...the "best" is a hackneyed term, simply it does not exist a technology that is absolutely better than the other one.
You can use a product close to your needs, testing and evaluating it.
I use Zemana Antilogger, is it the best? Maybe not, but it is close to my needs and I'm fine with it.

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
They are all capable of detecting something the other has missed as they all used different engines.

Malwarebytes is great at finding PUPs and types of malware that slip past traditional antivirus
Hitman Pro uses Bitdefender and Kaspersky engines and can detect PUPs pretty quickly
Zemana is similar to Hitman Pro but uses more engines and can also remove unwanted browser settings and toolbars, proxy settings, etc.
Dr Web uses their own engine it's great for removing persistent threats that can remain after multiple scans.
Emsisoft uses Bitdefender and their own engine for removing PUPs and bad registry keys. One of the fastest scans IMO.
eScan uses Bitdefender as well but I don't use it personally.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
They are all capable of detecting something the other has missed as they all used different engines.

Malwarebytes is great at finding PUPs and types of malware that slip past traditional antivirus
Hitman Pro uses Bitdefender and Kaspersky engines and can detect PUPs pretty quickly
Zemana is similar to Hitman Pro but uses more engines and can also remove unwanted browser settings and toolbars, proxy settings, etc.
Dr Web uses their own engine it's great for removing persistent threats that can remain after multiple scans.
Emsisoft uses Bitdefender and their own engine for removing PUPs and bad registry keys. One of the fastest scans IMO.
eScan uses Bitdefender as well but I don't use it personally.
Sounds like you have a pretty good idea on a few to try,
Good Luck @Gabriele Olmi
;)

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
These are my suggestions because I don't just use 1 second opinion scanners
- Zemana portable -> fastest scanning speed, great signatures. Do a System scan + C:\ drive scan
- HitmanPro: rarely use
- Emsisoft Emergency Kit: if you don't have the internet. The best offline scanner
- Norton power eraser: which can detect threats which can be missed by all other tools

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As far as I know, Zemana and HitmanPro are both cloud-dependent and require a constant Internet connection. As with ESET Online Scanner if it were to be suggested by anyone.

Malwarebytes and Emsisoft can be used offline with an up-to-date definition pack.

I don't have experience with the software tools mentions.

Reactions: mal1 and Thirio

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
NPE is the best :)
agree :)
but I think it would be the best only after using zemana or hitmanpro. If we use it in the first place, we will get tons of false positives and infected files so it's not easy to decide. After being scanned with zemana/HMP, there will be less infected files to be removed

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.