The CEO of OpenAI is urging the US to regulate 'exploding' use of artificial intelligence

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
The CEO of OpenAI, the startup behind ChatGPT, told a Senate panel on Tuesday the use of artificial intelligence to interfere with election integrity is a "significant area of concern", adding that it needs regulation.

"I am nervous about it," CEO Sam Altman said about elections and AI, adding rules and guidelines are needed.

For months, companies large and small have raced to bring increasingly versatile AI to market, throwing endless data and billions of dollars at the challenge.

Some critics fear the technology will exacerbate societal harms, among them prejudice and misinformation, while others warn AI could end humanity itself.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
That's the problem with dual use technology. Hell, you can even argue the internet is dual use or a knife is dual use.

Education is key and regulations and enforcement. The problem will be how do you enforce regulations against nations who don't play by the rules.

Logician

May 13, 2023

Education is key and regulations and enforcement. The problem will be how do you enforce regulations against nations who don't play by the rules.
How do you enforce regulations when you can't detect the violations that occur?

I noticed some EU org recently passed some kind of AI regulation. It is not scheduled to go into effect for 2 years. 2 years. AI is advancing by the day. 2 years is a completely absurd delay that suggests to me that whoever wrote/is behind it it is utterly incompetent at best, and likely corrupt.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Longtime Slashdot reader Okian Warrior writes: There's been a lot of discussion about regulating AI in the news recently, including Sam Altman going before a Senate committee begging for regulation. So far I've seen only calls for regulation, but not suggestions on what those regulations should be.

Since Slashdot is largely populated with experts in various fields, maybe we should begin this discussion. And note that if we don't create the reasonable rules, Congress (mostly 80-year old white men with conflicts of interest) will do it for us. What are some good AI regulation suggestions?

I'll start: A human must be responsible for any medical treatment or diagnosis. If an AI suggests a diagnosis or medical treatment, there must be buy-in from a human who believes the decision is correct, and who would be held responsible in the same manner as a doctor not using AI. The AI must be a tool used by, and not a substitute for, human decisions. Add your suggestion to the comments list at Slashdot.

Last edited:

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017

OpenAI CEO Hopeful World Leaders Will Save Us From AI He's Building​

OpenAI is building tech that could shake the very foundations of politics, the labor market, and the information ecosystem itself.

But don't worry! The company's CEO Sam Altman has had a consistent message for a worried public: our famously functional lawmakers and heads of state will step in and save the world from the tech he's building.

"I think if this technology goes wrong, it can go quite wrong," Altman told Congress last month. "And we want to be vocal about that. We want to work with the government to prevent that from happening."

Last edited:
  • Applause
Reactions: plat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.