Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
The lifespan of the tracking cookie is about to expire. With the rapid emergence of mobile devices, the big three — Facebook, Google, and Apple — have turned to new and more potent methods for advertisers to keep track of you across multiple devices.

The impending death of the cookie can be traced to the launch of the iPhone in 2007. Apple decided to disable cookie functionality in iPhones because it believed advertisers would be able to garner too much personal information as they tracked you across websites, according to Medialets chief executive Eric Litman. Third-party cookies still work on Google’s Chrome browser and the Android OS, but they don’t function effectively on a large number of smartphones and tablets produced by other companies. Also, because cookies can only track you while you’re using a browser — not a mobile app — they have very limited relevance on mobile devices.

Here’s how each of the big mobile players is trying to replace the cookie with its own brand of tracking.

Read More

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Very interesting article, thanks for sharing. How are they getting away with tracking someone and gathering information without it being considered some type of crime?

As far as them having the right to do this tracking to begin with based on contractual agreements. I think contracts that have the 'clause "Terms subject to change without notification or authorization" should be considered illegal in my opinion, because when you stop and think about it, basically they are saying they can do what they want to do and write in whatever they like later, so it doesn't matter how you feel about it.

So you are agreeing to a one sided contract, that's not an agreement, that's a scam if you ask me. Problem is that a lot of these companies based in the USA doing this tracking setup shop overseas where American laws don't apply.

We are supposed to trust that NO PERSONALLY IDENTIFYABLE INFORMATION is being gathered just because they say so? It becomes personal when they target individuals in the manner of groups.

So if Google, Facebook, and Microsoft track you then it's just considered sound marketting business, but if an individual does it then it's considered a crime. Hmmm, sounds like the big 3 should be considered organized crime if you ask me when you look at it that way.

The thing about all this information gathering that's scary is I suspect if you were to report these activities that the powers that be, they would probably be more concerned with the information gathered rather than the individuals rights to privacy.

Just my opinion, but this is the problem with technology, regardless of how useful and benificial it is, somebody will always find a way to use it for intentions it was never designed for to begin with that are just plain wrong.

I guess the reality of it is, they no longer need cookies, they can track you based on your usage of their services without cookies now days.

Reactions: Raul90

dragonmew

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
thats why i do not use facebook or microsoft accounts i have a gmail account and google chrome but i dnt send any reports to google through chrome

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
"And these companies can tell whether an ad displayed to an online user led to a purchase at a store."
This sentence truly reverberated with me, though I must be totally backwards as I'll usually find something at a store, but when I show it to my wife she'll say: "It's too expensive, I'll find it online and maybe they'll have it for less. We might even be able to get with free shipping!!".:D So, good luck if they try to find which store or commercial I came across that finally sent me over the edge of buyer's Nirvana!:rolleyes:
Thanks @venustus. You've consistently shared such food for thought which brings us all to reconsider our online bingeing while also looking out for our privacy!!:):)
... Just my opinion, but this is the problem with technology, regardless of how useful and beneficial it is, somebody will always find a way to use it for intentions it was never designed for to begin with that are just plain wrong.

I guess the reality of it is, they no longer need cookies, they can track you based on your usage of their services without cookies now days.
Serious Noize, your statements above are a universal reminder for us to all be a little more aware; and even if cookies are served up less, it seems we're still consuming at an accelerated rate!:eek::p

thats why i do not use facebook or microsoft accounts i have a gmail account and google chrome but i dnt send any reports to google through chrome
dragonx, I thought I'd finally recovered from the habit of Facebook, and obsessing over Google & Microsoft services,:) ..that is, until I happened to develop a "newer" happier habit called Malware Tips!!:p:D Now, I'm back on Facebook and even joined Twitter in order to enter (You guessed it..) Free Giveaways "..open to all our awesome members!!".;)Lol!!:D:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Serious Noize

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.