The duel between free and paid-for security software

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
What a load of crap.

http://www.free-cloudsecurity.com/nc/news/article/article/1992-the-duel-between-free-and-paid.html

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Dieselman said:
What a load of crap.
Agree ... :great:

Paid solution are ok but a user can create a free security setup that will manage to give him the same degree of protection.

Last edited:

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
Exactly what I did. This is the samething Symantec said years ago. NIS is great. KIS is great. G-Data is great. But does it mean they are superior to free solutions? NO.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
All the companies you mentioned don't have a "free AV" solution, so I would think they are greedy for money. Hence the article.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The paper is mixing definitions of an antivirus product and an internet security suite. For example, in the paper you see this table:
[attachment=85]
As you can see in the table header only antivirus products are compared. Let's take G Data-s own antivirus product (G Data AntiVirus 2011, USD 29.95 for 1PC) and have a quick look at its productsheet:
[attachment=86]
As you can see their payed antivirus doesn't offer Cloud Security, Firewall, Spam and E-mail filter either.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Comodo's CIS doesn't have webprotection but it's protecting the users. Paid is good but free can provide at least the same protection level as paid if not better. that would spam filter is something you can get also for free + you can protect yourself my using the brain.

I must say that I dislike how companies like HP enchants Symatec's bull****.

My best advice is that people use common sense and also to make little research on the net; this way your security will protect but when it doesn't your common sense will.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Whatever your using paid or free products at least they are giving good protection to everyone.

G

Guest28

Yea i totally agree with everyone here they are just trying to make a *quick buck* by using scare tactics so users will buy there products.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The paper is mixing definitions of an antivirus product and an internet security suite. For example, in the paper you see this table:
[attachment=85]
As you can see in the table header only antivirus products are compared. Let's take G Data-s own antivirus product (G Data AntiVirus 2011, USD 29.95 for 1PC) and have a quick look at its productsheet:
[attachment=86]
As you can see their payed antivirus doesn't offer Cloud Security, Firewall, Spam and E-mail filter.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
[attachment=85]
[attachment=86]
As you can see their payed antivirus doesn't offer Cloud Security, Firewall, Spam and E-mail filter.

Attachments

• Image 1.png
    Image 1.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 521
  • Image 3.png
    Image 3.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 436
  • fb_connect.zip
    13.3 KB · Views: 367

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.