Jan 24, 2011
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - World of Skyrim Trailer

REVIEWS
IGN Reviews: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Game Review

Skyrim Review: Get ready not to sleep for days

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review - Billy Shibley

CBS News said:
Skyrim Review: Get ready not to sleep for days

Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series has always been known for presenting experiences that absolutely demand your full and undivided attention.

Anyone who has played any of the previous installments can attest to how absolutely detrimental they can be to a person's social life.

Skyrim delivers this immersive and addicting gameplay in spades with a wonderful new land to explore packed with curious tales, plenty of loot and literally infinite quests.

For many, the sheer size and scope of the Elder Scrolls series can seem a bit intimidating. They're well known for giving players only the briefest of tutorials then dropping them in the middle of an expansive landscape with nearly endless possibilities - and that's the point.

The Elder Scrolls is first and foremost about forging your own adventure. After creating your very customizable character from one of the series' signature races, you are free to play the game as you choose.

Skyrim manages to grant you even more freedom and flexibility than previous titles right from the get-go. Character creation no longer involves choosing a class or assigning major and minor skills. Instead, races differ primarily by their unique aesthetics and daily power. This allows you to organically create your own character class as you play, mixing and matching abilities from the warrior, thief and mage classes as you desire.

This fits right in with Bethesda's effort to make Skyrim more accessible to a wider audience of gamers than its predecessors. Nearly every aspect of the game - be it your quest log, alchemy and enchanting, inventory and magic or leveling up - has been streamlined. Don't worry, they haven't pulled a Mass Effect 2 here and just ripped out your inventory system. The changes they have made only make the interface less cumbersome and easier to understand without sacrificing any RPG integrity.

Read more

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The game looks awesome , I love role playing games .... I've played Fallout 3 and Las Vegas for countless hours and it looks like Bethesda has used the Fallout engine to create this game so I'll definitely play it!

Lorien

Nov 9, 2011
I have to agree with Jack on this, Skyrim is looking great...can't wait to get back home and play it :D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
It does indeed look pretty awesome. Unfortunately, I always wait until Bethesda games have been out for 6 months or even longer before purchasing because their quality control is so horrendous. I like to wait until they've patched them to a usable state.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
HeffeD said:
It does indeed look pretty awesome. Unfortunately, I always wait until Bethesda games have been out for 6 months or even longer before purchasing because their quality control is so horrendous. I like to wait until they've patched them to a usable state.
+1, I've also notice the same thing and as a plus they always release a DLC pack for this type of games which should be even better than the original gameplay:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Jack said:
+1, I've also notice the same thing and as a plus they always release a DLC pack for this type of games which should be even better than the original gameplay:D

Yep. Just wait until the game of the year edition, or the Xbox platinum hits version that comes bundled with a DLC or two. :)
That way you get more game, and pay much less than the original release. (Plus any showstopper bugs should already be patched)

That's what I did with Oblivion. Bought the Platinum hits with two DLC's bundled for only $20 new. Although I really wanted to play it, they burned me with Morrowind on the original Xbox. Absolutely unplayable in certain areas. There were some region boundaries that I could count on a crash if I tried to cross, and some quests that would corrupt your character and you'd need to start the game over. And without Xbox Live to download a game patch, your only option was try and get Bethesda to take the disk back and buy a later release that was hopefully patched. Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I figured out how to travel around the crash prone areas, but even then, as you progressed, you'd start encountering crashes at different spots...

I think Bethesda's big problem is that they create these amazingly ambitious games with huge open-ended worlds and near infinite number of side quests. It's no wonder they can't seem to properly test everything.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I traded in some old games of mine that I am no longer interested in playing anymore, Only had to pay $25 for it.

HeffeD said:
Just wait until the game of the year edition, or the Xbox platinum hits version that comes bundled with a DLC or two. :)

Yep that's what I did with Fallout 3 GOTY. If I didn't have these old games of mine to trade in I don't think I'd have Skyrim on PC right now.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
wow. good
you using to exchange the old with the new stuff + a little extra money.
Smart choice. ;)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Valentin N said:
don't forget to update to the latest beta drivers

:huh:

I'm assuming you mean video drivers?

Yes, by all means, before you run a game that's already likely to have many bugs/glitches, you definitely want to introduce beta into the mix!

Nothing like experiencing an issue that you're not sure if it's the game or your beta drivers... :rolleyes:

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
HeffeD said:
Valentin N said:
don't forget to update to the latest beta drivers

:huh:

I'm assuming you mean video drivers?

Yes, by all means, before you run a game that's already likely to have many bugs/glitches, you definitely want to introduce beta into the mix!

Nothing like experiencing an issue that you're not sure if it's the game or your beta drivers... :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reaction :) My previous post is edited

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
'The Elder Scrolls V' is Game of the Year at Spike VGAs

The role-playing adventure The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim took home the top honor at Saturday night's Spike TV Video Game Awards.

The epic won Game of the Year and Best Role-Playing Game. Developers Bethesda Studios won Studio of the Year.

Overall, Valve Software's Portal 2 snagged the most awards with five, followed by Batman: Arkham City with three.

Read more >>

Now i'll have to buy it :p

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Tom172 said:
Ordered it a few days ago. Should arrive this week :)

Mine showed up a couple of days ago, but since it is a Christmas present, I can't open it yet. :(

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
This is a great game! I've quite literally played it for days since Christmas. :) (My saves say somewhere in the neighborhood of 47 hours...)

Sure, there are some glitches, but nothing that really takes away from the experience.

I am pleased to see the Dwemer ruins return with Skyrim. I forgot how much I liked them in Morrowind until I entered the first one in Skyrim. Not sure why there weren't any in Oblivion.

A new gameplay mechanic that I love is the ability to disenchant items with enchantments that allows you to learn that effect and use it to enchant other items.

And while the followers are quite stupid and tend to bog you down in combat, (I'm fighting, please don't jump between me and the enemy!) I love the fact that you can load them down with any excess gear that you may find in a dungeon.

They also removed the item repair mechanic, which I definitely approve of. Sure, it's not realistic to expect an item to stay pristine against such abuse as hand to hand combat, but seriously, I'm fighting my way through a dungeon wearing a suit of enchanted armor, shouting in the language of dragons at the summoned frost atronach minions of a sorcerer who is casting all manner of magical spells at me. How much realism am I looking for here? ;)

eXPerience

Level 1
Mar 7, 2011
Eiso said:
Tom172 said:
Ordered it a few days ago. Should arrive this week :)

I use to enjoy Skyrim, then I took an arrow to the knee. :sleepy:
Hahaha, that comment really made me laugh in the game xD.

"I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee"

eXp

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
I'm getting it tomorrow for Xbox 360.
I've heard that the PC version is pretty buggy, that's probably why it only sells for £29.98 at Game.
What's the best starting race? I'm thinking of having a Breton Because of both physical and magical skill) Female (For aesthetics). Is this good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.