The End of BlackBerry Phones

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
BlackBerry is quitting the phone business—again. You might recall BlackBerry quit manufacturing smartphones back in 2016, but it licensed its brand name to the Chinese smartphone corporation TCL. TCL started pumping out BlackBerry-branded devices—some of which were QWERTY equipped and some of which were shameless rebadgings of existing TCL phones. TCL's Zombie BlackBerry plan apparently wasn't working too well, though, since now that's dead, too.

Today, BlackBerry Mobile posted what amounts to an amicable breakup note on Twitter, saying that TCL's license to the BlackBerry brand would expire August 31, 2020, at which point the two companies would go their separate ways. Once the agreement expires, TCL will have "no further rights to design, manufacture, or sell any new BlackBerry mobile devices," though the company would still be on the hook for supporting existing devices until August 31, 2022. With no other manufacturers lined up, it sounds like BlackBerry-branded phones will be dead for good.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Its a shame as I think there is space in the market for another phone opertating system.

Android is provided for "free" by Google but you pay with your private data.

You pay in cash for iOS (rather than data) but its so expensive.

An operating system that isn't paid for by private data, but is cheaper than iOS would be good !

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Huawei is not going to release another OS yet.

Maybe Blackberry has a new path to take in phone making with another Android Phone Company.

If not we have Unihertz but not for my taste...

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I agree and I thought Huawei would release one. @HarborFront have you heard any news on that?
There's some news here from Huawei

However, there are other OS in the market like PureOS by Purism Librem 5

Or Linux OS

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I thought I had seen something about Librem before.
If not we have Unihertz but not for my taste...
Never heard about them. Thanks.

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
Its a shame as I think there is space in the market for another phone opertating system.

Android is provided for "free" by Google but you pay with your private data.

You pay in cash for iOS (rather than data) but its so expensive.

An operating system that isn't paid for by private data, but is cheaper than iOS would be good !
Windows phones also much better than Android phones.

• Applause
Reactions: RKRN3 and upnorth

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Hey, I miss my Windows phone. If it wasn't for the almost now dead battery and some specific apps that stopped working and Microsoft saying bye bye, I probably still be using it.

Live tiles for example on a Windows phone is a huge difference then Live tiles on a PC/laptop.

Hindenburg

Level 1
Feb 5, 2020
1580990662198.png

I loved my Blackberry.

It was a bit big for my pocket, so sometimes I had to just shove it down my pants. Some women were very attracted to that mass in my pants. I got some hot dates.

When I shoved it down the back of my pants, it was then a Dingleberry.

Ultimately, my dog ate it.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I like the photo. Yes they are well designed devices. The physical keyboard has some advantages over touchscreens I think. And if you mainly intend to use the device for making calls and sending emails or messages then Blackberry is the best.

Regarding Windows phones- it was a shame that they disappeared as well. In my view, Microsoft made a mistake branding their mobile operating system as "Windows" and trying to make it similar to their desktop software. They should have called it something new and exciting (less business orientated) and started from a blank sheet of paper.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.