Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Facebook announced today several new features which will protect their users from scams and spam while online.

• Partnership with Web of Trust (WOT)
    230505_10150168395261886_31987371885_7055199_5262091_n.jpg
  • Clickjacking protection
  • Self-XSS Protection
  • Login approvals

You can find more details on the newly added security features here

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I don't think it will end the spam but it will decrease the amount of spams and lets not forget that WOT is made by people's votes and if many click that's safe then it will be problematic.

Regards,
Valentin N

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
I guess I am happy to see they are at least making some effort to improve things, let's hope this mentality continues.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I am actually happy to see this, Some help and prevention is better then none and WOT will help.

I second Valentin N tho.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
This is actually a really good decision Facebook made, I give them credit, this can really help stop the scams that lurk at every moment on FB.
Also, can you add a "maybe" in the poll, that's what I would vote for.

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
I am also glad to see Facebook take these steps to help remove some of the scam apps which have been very active.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think this is not the end of scam and spam but with partnership with WOT it can be prevented.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Dad catches daughters on webcam: Beware viral Facebook video link
Facebook is being hit by another viral message, spreading between users' walls disguised as a link to a saucy video.

The messages, which are spreading rapidly, use a variety of different links but all claim to be a movie of a dad catching his daughters making a video on their webcam:

dad-catches-1.jpg

The messages also tag some of the victims' Facebook friends, presumably in an attempt to spread the links more quickly across the social network.

If you make the mistake of clicking on the link you are taken to a webpage which shows a video thumbnail of two scantily clad young women on a bed. The page urges you to play the video, however doing so will post the Facebook message on your own wall as a "Like" and pass it to your friends.

Unfortunately, the new security improvements announced by Facebook this week fail to give any protection or warning about the attack.

Read more

Seems like Facebook has to tweak a little the new features.... I wonder if WOT will warn the Facebook users only when their is a Red or Yellow verdict for a site..Or they will also promt the user if the site has a Grey rating.... ?

V

Vextor

No chance. WOT is useful but some scammers might just create tonnes of fake accounts and actually manually rate it up. It's likejacking protection isn't fully developed and the end of spam won'
t even be slightly started by this

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
It's a good first step towards tackling the problem. I think of it as sort of a temporary solution really. Facebook needs to rethink it's attitude towards security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.