New Update The end of uBlock Origin for Google Chrome?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
There has been lots of talk about Google's proposed changes to the Chrome web browser's extensions system and how these changes would affect content blockers and other extensions.
The new manifest file for Chrome extensions could end extensions like uBlock Origin for the web browser. Google changed some parameters after it faced heavy user and developer criticism but did not revert the course completely.
Raymond Hill (gorhill), the developer of uBlock Origin revealed recently that Google rejected a new developer version of the extension. Developers upload new extension versions to the Chrome Web Store to replace existing versions; Google runs automated scans of these tools and may also look at the uploaded extensions manually before allowing or rejecting them.
Read the rest of the story here:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
They will litteraly kill their browser if they do, everyone will switch to firefox.

It wont, most people dont use or know what an adblocker is.

Just remember that Mozilla revenue comes most from Google default search engine deal, so in the long term Firefox survival isnt guaranteed.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Due to ethical reasons I stopped using Chrome more than a year ago. I tried Firefox initially which was a good browser 95% of the time but it had weird compatibility issues with some web pages. So I decided to stay with a Chromium engine based browser and finally settled with the Brave browser. So far so good. I would consider the new chromium based Edge browser once it exit out of beta.

It wont, most people dont use or know what an adblocker is.

Not sure on that. All most all people I know use some kind of Adblocker in their browser. Without Adblocker using internet these days is almost unbearable.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
ot sure on that. All most all people I know use some kind of Adblocker in their browser. Without Adblocker using internet these days is almost unbearable.

My question is: What kind of adblocker do they use? because an awful lot of them are junk or pseudo-malware. If more browsers follow G's lead then folks may resort to the different browsers' built-in adblocking. Right now Brave is the one for me in terms of built-in, but I prefer Edge's overall experience as it stands.

I would consider the new chromium based Edge browser once it exit out of beta.

Edge Dev and Canary are stable and secure to use now. Canary may have minor design bugs,etc. with the newer features.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It is still possible that the next stable version of uBlock Origin wil not be rejected. So we have to wait and see.
Edge Chromium and Opera each have their own store where uBlock Origin is available, but are often a version behind Chrome.
And don't look at the version in the store for the current Edge...
IMO a very important question is will Raymond still continue to develop the chromium version or only the version for Firefox (and Thunderbird)?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
My take: Chrome acquired desktop browser dominance, because it was a superior browser and it shipped with every Android mobile phone install.

On desktop Edge-chromium might gain marketshare from Chrome, on Mobile nr1 Samsung offers a browser with adblock extensions, nr2 (Huawei) will move to its own Android version with own browser, nr3 on mobile (Apple) has its own browser also.

Within 1 to 3 years there is a real chance of Chrome losing market dominance, so ....

I exexpect uBlock0 being banned from Google, but when marketshare drops, Google will return on its steps and will allow uBlock.

So vote with your desktop browser install (Brave, Edge, Firefox, Yandex) when uBlock will be bannedbanned and let market(ing) do its work.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
It is still possible that the next stable version of uBlock Origin wil not be rejected. So we have to wait and see.

Well, I think Google was already saber-rattling back in January of this year. I don't know whether uMatrix will have a similar fate in the chromium browsers either. Source. Bad move on Google's part, more because of its refusal to state a reason for the rejection. That smells fishy, like it goes way beyond what's currently reported in the media.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
and so why doesn't anybody like edge with the adguard extension? just curious.
Is currently my favorite (set and forget) combo.
Edge Dev with tracking protection on strikt and the AdGuard extension to do the cosmetic filtering.
But if you like a more advanced config uBlock origin is the best for any browser and if you want to go even further uMatrix.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.