New Update The end of uBlock Origin for Google Chrome?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
and so why doesn't anybody like edge with the adguard extension? just curious.

I have it on my girlfriend's desktop, benefits of using Adguard, enable malware protection is using Google's safe browsing and Adguard's own phishing cloud data base (so combined Micrsoft and Google URL blacklist) and the benefits of using Edge is that you force the broker to only load M$-signed and block the renderer to load other programs with Windows Defender exploit protection.

This surprised me when signing up at this forum, that it is strange that few to none people use this combo (Edge with Adguard and WD-exploit protection).

It is as safe as running Chrome with Windows Defender Browsing Protection extension and OS-Armor with exploit protection for Chrome enabled without needing to install third-party. The low popularity is not related to this excellen combo, but most likely related to a general dislike against Micro$soft.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

This surprised me when signing up at this forum, that it is strange that few to none people use this combo (Edge with Adguard and WD-exploit protection).
I do, you can see it I'm my security config thread. I just use Adguard For Windows instead of the extension and Edge is under Application Guard (aka win10 enterprise sandbox for Edge).

I use Edge mostly for banking.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I was unimpressed by FF partially by looks but I recently bought a higher res monitor & it looks really good now better for me than Chrome, unlikely ever to use Chrome again. My other half has Chrome on her lappy but I'll change to to an alternative & I doubt she will notice. From a personal viewpoint I really dislike Google & IMHO their total lack of ethics - I use anything Google as little as possible & apart from needed site fonts they are blocked in Ublock. :p:p No offense intended Google :devil:

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Google is everywhere, even if not under the "Google" brand. Trying to fight it is like being Don Quixote fighting a windmill. On top of that some Google services are unmatched. You should better learn to reduce your footprints and sensitive info exposure instead of trying evading it.
Not saying using Windows and worrying about Google data mining is paradoxal.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Google is everywhere, even if not under the "Google" brand. Trying to fight it is like being Don Quixote fighting a windmill. On top of that some Google services are unmatched. You should better learn to reduce your footprints and sensitive info exposure instead of trying evading it.
Not to mention at least google has always been up front that they’re an advertising company. With some small startups you only find out they are data mining after you’ve trusted them with something.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

It got approved apparently

Care to explain how he is being childish? I didn't notice anything like that in his posts.

Is not the first time he whines about Google, if Google wanted to block Ad-Blockers they wouldn't focus only on uBlock Origin, I'm pretty sure his extension has shady code that didn't get past Google testing.

I'm not trying to defend Google here, but I like to be neutral and look it from both sides, and Raymond hasn't presented any evidence about why his extension was blocked, he just whining and making himself look like a victim, if Google was trying to block Ad-Blockers in their store it wouldn't just target uBlock Origin (and you don't see other Developers complaining).

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Is not the first time he whines about Google, if Google wanted to block Ad-Blockers they wouldn't focus only on uBlock Origin, I'm pretty sure his extension has shady code that didn't get past Google testing.

I'm not trying to defend Google here, but I like to be neutral and look it from both sides, and Raymond hasn't presented any evidence about why his extension was blocked, he just whining and making himself look like a victim, if Google was trying to block Ad-Blockers in their store it wouldn't just target uBlock Origin (and you don't see other Developers complaining).
This is the most reasonable response to this I’ve seen.
As an aside: It is interesting people want free internet with no ads. I had no problem supporting sites not running an ad blocker until ad systems started serving malicious ads. I don’t feel entitled to all media for free...just a thought. As it is, I use an ad blocker for now. Soon we will have to pay thousands of subscriptions because we couldn’t handle ads.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
It's highly unlikely I or others will have thousands or even a handful of subscriptions - My issue is often with malicious/misleading ads/trackers - if sites were/had been reasonable the problem would not exist - On a personal basis sites with a reasonable amount of ads gets whitelisted. Hopefully that will be the future?

How do you know what I've been exposing?? You wouldn't be Sarah Tle**** on Facebook would you?? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016

It's contradictory... yes..., but a least we have good alternatives like Firefox and Brave. They're almost as good as chrome (if not, better).
On the other side, WIndows' free alternatives may be good, but IMO they can't beat microsoft OS.

Besides that, Google earn a lot money mainly trough advertising, while Microsoft have others scopes too. So, i don't blame people for trying to avoid google at least. I'm not defending Microsoft, neither saying that they don't collect a lot of data. I just mean that if you just get sit down saying that if you accept one situation, than you should accept them all, will not change anything.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
and so why doesn't anybody like edge with the adguard extension?
Is currently my favorite (set and forget) combo.
Edge Dev with tracking protection on strikt and the AdGuard extension to do the cosmetic filtering.

Hey, what difference would make in using Chrome with Adblocker (extension) and not Edge dev with Adblocker (extension)?

It is as safe as running Chrome with Windows Defender Browsing Protection extension and OS-Armor with exploit protection for Chrome enabled without needing to install third-party. The low popularity is not related to this excellen combo, but most likely related to a general dislike against Micro$soft.

I didn't fully understand your idea. Why not just use Chrome with AppGuard instead of Edge with AppGuard. Besides that OS armor could be used in both config with the same benefits, wouldn't be?
Edit: I made a small research and i guess AppGuard doesn't work with Chrome, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortex

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hey, what difference would make in using Chrome with Adblocker (extension) and not Edge dev with Adblocker (extension)?

I didn't fully understand your idea. Why not just use Chrome with AppGuard instead of Edge with AppGuard. Besides that OS armor could be used in both config with the same benefits, wouldn't be?
Edit: I made a small research and i guess AppGuard doesn't work with Chrome, right?
The difference between Chrome or Edge Dev with any adblocker is that Edge Dev has some tracking protection of its own:
The edge://flag mentioned on those 2 pages is not necessary anymore its enabled by default now.
IMO its great protection and blocks most trackers on strict. I use AdGuard against ads and for its cosmetic filtering.
I could use AdGuard on its own, but I really like the combo.
An explanation of cosmetic filtering (in this case from uBlock Origin):
Tracking protection shows you what trackers it has blocked:
Aantekening 2019-10-13 232709.png
But this is getting offtopic. The latest dev version of uBlock Origin got approved, so the end of uBlock Origin hasn't come (yet).

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@

Windows Defender Exploit Protection has an option to only allow a program to load Microsoft signed (dll's). Chrome loads its own DLL's signed by Google, so Chome does not work.

Old Edge has a broker process and a few child processes which render the webpages. New Chrmium based edge those two processes have the same name. So in old edge you can block the child processes with WD Exploit Protecton to start other programs. In new edge you can't because the broker (parent) and renderer (child) processes have the same name. That is why old Edge can be tighter secured than new Chromiun Edge with Windows Defender Exploit Protection.

I am answering you post on a Linux machine, so I can't show you screen shots (as mentioned I added Adguard to old Edge on my girlfriends laptop which she uses for work). Also these old Edge WD exploit protections can be seen as a standard user but not changed (you need admin rights for that).

Advantage of (new) Edge-chromium (over Chromium) is that it has a build in AdBlocker and warns you when it runs as admin. When you add WP Exploit Protection that only signed Microsoft may be loaded by Edge-Chromium, it is theoretically better protected against exploits than Chrome.

Last edited:

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
The difference between Chrome or Edge Dev with any adblocker is that Edge Dev has some tracking protection of its own:

Ty!

Advantage of (new) Edge-chromium (over Chromium) is that it has a build in AdBlocker and warns you when it runs as admin.
I believe that the mentioned AdBlocked is that same feature @Gandalf_The_Grey suggested? If it already has an adblocker, there is any benefit in using Adblock extension, beyond cosmetic filtering?

Windows Defender Exploit Protection has an option to only allow a program to load Microsoft signed (dll's)
Edge extensions could use dll? If so, would they not be blocked by Windows Defender Exploit Protection (aka App Guard?)

It does. I'm using it right now. Unless you mistyped and meant Adguard, who also does work with Chrome anyway.

There was some confusion here. I meant AppGuard as Microsoft Application Guard.

Reactions: Cortex and Venustus

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
Edge extensions could use dll? If so, would they not be blocked by Windows Defender Exploit Protection (aka App Guard?)

I had to turn off the code integrity guard as it blocked Edge Dev from letting me add extensions. Is there a way around this?

Reactions: Cortex

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.