The February 2019 Microsoft Patch Tuesday: 99 Vulnerabilities

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Ahhh the infamous Windows 10 bugs and patches. I can report I haven't had any issues with the latest patches released. However, in the enterprise world (at the job) my clients were faced with a odd Windows 10 search bug that didn't allow them to search for files, programs etc. Hence the reason for testing updates! Sadly, during my testing with many devices those devices didn't encounter the issue like my end-points. Test test test is all I can say. Hope those who had issues are able to revert back and get things back up and rolling.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I had no problems but uninstalled it anyway. I simply went with M$' advice to remove it and wait for a re-release of a fixed update. I don't feel more or less protected. Who knows?
Microsoft advised only users which are affected with these problems; they didn't say everyone should uninstall the update. There's no need to uninstall the update if it doesn't cause problems. After all, it will automatically get replaced when the new update is released.
Ahhh the infamous Windows 10 bugs and patches. I can report I haven't had any issues with the latest patches released. However, in the enterprise world (at the job) my clients were faced with a odd Windows 10 search bug that didn't allow them to search for files, programs etc. Hence the reason for testing updates! Sadly, during my testing with many devices those devices didn't encounter the issue like my end-points. Test test test is all I can say. Hope those who had issues are able to revert back and get things back up and rolling.
The issue where Windows Search stopped working was related to Bing. I didn't have any problems because I disabled web search in Windows Search after installation. ;)

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Can you please link me to that M$ advice?
Hi,
Have you seen this topic ?

But possibly another KB number....

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi,

Yes, I saw it, and that is where I should have posted. I mixed up the two threads. But I still hold by my claim, that there is no reason to uninstall if you don't have issues. It's like giving up peanut butter because your neighbor has an allergy to it.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hi,

Still, Microsoft didn't advice users to uninstall the update (except the ones that have problems). If you read the first post in that thread carefully, it's just an opinion/recommendation from that website that you uninstall the update because it breaks Reset this PC feature. Since I don't have plans to reset the PC anytime soon, I don't see why should I uninstall it.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Still, Microsoft didn't advice users to uninstall the update (except the ones that have problems). If you read the first post in that thread carefully, it's just an opinion/recommendation from that website that you uninstall the update because it breaks Reset this PC feature. Since I don't have plans to reset the PC anytime soon, I don't see why should I uninstall it.
The advice is to uninstall that patch when you have a problem with reset:
Workaround: The standalone security update, KB4524244 has been removed and will not re-offered from Windows Update, Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or Microsoft Update Catalog. Note This does not affect any other update, including Latest Cumulative Update (LCU), Monthly Rollup or Security Only update.

If you have installed this update and are experiencing this issue, the following steps should allow you to reset your device:
  1. Select the start button or Windows Desktop Search and type update history and select View your Update history.
  2. On the Settings/View update history dialog window, Select Uninstall Updates.
  3. On the Installed Updates dialog window, find and select KB4524244 and select the Uninstall button.
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Upon restart use the “Reset this PC” feature and you should not encounter this issue.
Next steps: We are working on an improved version of this update in coordination with our partners and will release it in a future update.
I have used that reset function occasionally. So I removed that update that is withdrawn by MS and has a known issue that won't get fixed. Otherwise, if I want to use reset in the future it won't work and maybe I can't remember or find out why. IMO better safe than sorry.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Friends, it's a different update that Microsoft recommends uninstalling: KB4524244

MS: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4524244/security-update-for-windows-10-february-11-2020

More details from Gunter Born: Windows 10: Update KB4524244 pulled | Born's Tech and Windows World

Uninstall the update in any case!

In the KB article Microsoft gives hints what to do in case of issues: Uninstall the update. Some people (e.g. here) interpret it as: ‘if the update doesn’t cause any issues, leave it on the system”. In this special case I recommend uninstalling the update in any case, because of the potentially broken Windows 10 reset feature.

Since I didn't check for updates until 15 Feb, the bad update had already been pulled and was not offered to me. MS usually pulls bad updates the Friday after Patch Tuesday, so I usually manually check for updates on Saturday.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
There was no problem in my environment, but I uninstalled KB 4524244 after reading the article.
"In this special case I recommend uninstalling the update in any case"
This, I realized, means that there is no raison d'etre for 4524244.

The clerk who displayed the product on the shelf withdrew it, saying, 'We recommend that you do not buy this.' Customers who have already picked up the product are puzzled.

In the last few years, updates have been published and rolled back very often. It is not necessary to provide regular updates, so we want you to provide a working update.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Wierdy I has issues using Macrium Reflect internal Windows PE/RE? boot system & using USB drive, CD wasn't to good either! - At the time I knew nothing of the MS Update issues & as I was having issues restoring images I tried an alternative 'Backupper' & although not used it before I quite like it. I was able to image back with Macrium to the end of January final & all was OK, so I assumed it was either MS or the update by Macrium, when I did MS Update/Macrium update the problem returned & I ran out of time & unwell so still not sure what the problem is - I'm using KIS also - When time & health always I will image back & investigate - I will see :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.