The first phone with 10GB of RAM is coming

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
A new variant of the Oppo Find X with 10GB of RAM and a quarter terabyte of storage has shown up in China

China’s TENAA, the regulatory body that certifies phones before their release in the country, has revealed a new variant of the Oppo Find X, this one coming with 10GB of memory on board. GizmoChina was among the first to report this discovery, having been tipped off by a tweet highlighting the updated Find X entry. Depending on when it’s actually released, the 10GB Find X could be the first smartphone to have such a generous serving of RAM, though rumors have also surfaced of competition for that title from rival phone maker Vivo. In any case, we seem to be within striking distance of the first smartphone to have double-digit gigabytes of memory, so now is the time to start drafting up all those jokes about your new phone having more memory and storage — the Find X listed on TENAA comes with 256GB of space — than your old PC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
i have 32 and 64 GB on my PC's

few years more and phone will get more rams than my core pc ^^

Reactions: Weebarra

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
Why would anyone need 10 GB of ram on a phone is beyond me
Exactly. I really don't understand this craze over phones. I use an android from 2013 that I rooted and use Lineage OS to keep a bit up to date and that's pretty much it. I've seen all these new fangled devices whose users still do pretty much the same that I do.

Send the occasional IM message.
Check mail if it comes on there.
Make a call.

Reactions: Weebarra and shmu26

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Exactly. I really don't understand this craze over phones. I use an android from 2013 that I rooted and use Lineage OS to keep a bit up to date and that's pretty much it. I've seen all these new fangled devices whose users still do pretty much the same that I do.

Send the occasional IM message.
Check mail if it comes on there.
Make a call.

This goes from long time even with thier 8k resolution like 1k is not enough for 5 inch monitor lulz and this re-scaling huge resolution which you dont feel but eat its eating 40% more battery casue of it :D

Reactions: Weebarra

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Wow, terrifying power in the palm of your hand!
It doesn't mean anything.

The Oppo Find X is not that great to start with. What is 10GB's RAM, if you only receive 2 years* of Android OS support? Then the durability of it's sliding-out camera, more negatives below:
  • Countless software annoyances
  • The most slippery phone of the year
  • Oppo App Store spam is insulting
  • Slider mechanism undermines phone’s long-term durability
Review: Oppo Find X review: unrefined ambition

As far as I know, iOS has better memory management than Android.
Apple achieves comparable performance with less RAM because of fundamental differences in how the iOS and Android platforms handle memory management. Android relies upon something called garbage collection, while iOS takes a reference counting approach. A brief web search will reveal that the debate on which is better rages on, but it seems to be generally accepted that garbage collection requires more memory to avoid performance problems.

They may be different, but both platforms have a system of memory management that dictates what the RAM does. Because of this, you may not actually see any performance boost by simply adding more RAM – you would have to also tweak the memory management rules to take advantage of it. To what degree manufacturers are actually doing this is unclear.
Read more: How much RAM does a smartphone actually need? We asked the experts

My MS tablets only have 8GB RAM each :rolleyes:
Windows and Android work differently, most laptops come with 8GB's RAM or more. Surface tablets are non-upgradable?

*I don't know how many years Oppo support their consumer devices.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.