The Future of Malware is here – CryptoLocker

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'Could you give me the direct link to this website and search result on Google? add hXXp:// to the prefix because someone can not just click on it.'
- No, sorry. It was a website for wallpapers, I think.
I don't want to go back to see again this ransom page 'your computer is encrypted, locked etc etc', a whole page with this kind of text - my heart was beating really strong and long, I do not want to relive this.

Hmm prorootect here ..

Read my precedent post, please ..: 'the crypto locker ransom virus page jumped before my eyes.

- then I do NOT clicked on this ransom page - but killed browser processes with ProcNetMonitor.
So malicious ransom virus page disappeared, other browser page disappeared too of course.'

- If you want the additional information, I will try to answer you ..

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Prorootect, what you saw was probably some kind of ransom malware but not Cryptolocker.

People get infected with Cryptolocker when they download a file that has a PDF icon, looks like a PDF but its actually a malicious executable. Then when its executed, the infection takes place. I think, that's the only way that CL can infect people.

In my personal case, I would never have a problem with something like this because I run all PDF files in a restricted sandbox. So, if I click on a file that seems to be a PDF but is not, Sandboxie will block the execution of the file and give me a message that a programs that's not allowed to run has attempted to do so. This should be enough to make me aware that there is something wrong with this (supposed to be) PDF file.

Bo

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Useful information on CryptoLocker! From: Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware!

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Pro and free are able to detect it. The pro though will be the only one that is capable of preventing it running and encrypting your files.

Rich Matteo
Research Engineer

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Also, Hitman Pro will take care of CyrptoLocker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M8YYnXIAlw

Hope this help,friends!

Moose

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Users of Panda Cloud AV can add whatever files they wish to protect from ransom malware to the Data Shield.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Apparently this CryptoLocker has been havocking UK computers, the ransom being 2 bitcoins ~ £550. So the NCA have issued a warning, read ALERT here. And I quote, "Advice: This is a case where prevention is better than cure."

Here are some other resources: http://www.getsafeonline.org

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.