LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Some recent IoT facts that caught my attention:
  • Global IoT market share is projected to grow from 249 billion in 2018 dollars to 457 billion dollars in 2020
  • $ 6 trillion will be invested in IoT solutions over the next five years
  • In 2020, 90% of vehicles will be internet connected
  • In 2020, 173.47 million wearable devices will be in use
  • In 2020, smart cities will have a 26% share of IoT
  • In 2020, industrial IoT will have a 24% share of IoT
  • In 2020, connected health will have a 20% share of IoT
  • In 2020, smart homes will have a 14% share of IoT
Source: SC magazine, Oct 2018

What does all of this mean? How will we manage and secure all of these devices? We already stumbled pretty bad moving from mainframes to client server, connected laptops and smart phones. We simply moved too much data too fast to unsecured devices. See the OPM data breach. The same government that wanted to hurry and get all medical data online could not secure its most prized clearances of its highest-level staff, including military officers and the FBI director.
So, where to now? Want to learn more about IoT? It really applies to everything: medicine, health, transportation, smart cities and smart homes. The excellent book “Internet of Things, for Things and by Things” by Abhik Chaudhuri has my full attention. It’s well written and covers all things IoT.

Those of us in security, privacy, governance and risk management can’t ignore IoT any longer! It’s coming like a tsunami and we better hold on and have a plan.
One thing’s for sure: IoT will change everything, in all sectors!

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
  • In 2020, 90% of vehicles will be internet connected

I will be part of the 10% that is not connected. Love my antique with no monthly payment.

• In 2020, connected health will have a 20% share of IoT

Just going to increase issues we have with Healthcare providers today.

• In 2020, smart homes will have a 14% share of IoT

I have one wireless camera not by choice. One of the parental guidance's can not seem to live without it. Do not plan on increasing my share by 2020.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.