Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
As most of us know, ProtonMail burst onto the scene about 3 yrs ago and shook things up.
Here they come again ready to shake up the VPN world with ProtonVPN.
It's in beta now, so I have AirVPN for a year, by the time that is up, this
aught to be stable, and I will be switching if this has the quality that ProtonMail
was built on ;)
ProtonVPN - Home

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Lorem ipsum Definition: In publishing and graphic design, lorem ipsum is a filler text commonly used to demonstrate the graphic elements of a document or visual presentation.
I have run a few sites of my own in the past, the VPN is already in beta, that has nothing to do with their time table and was pointless. ;)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I think it's for paid users of ProtonMail only, right?

Or for free ProtonMail users as well but say use of less servers?

How about independent subscription of its VPN for non-Proton users?

Where's its server list?

And it did not reveal many of its features.......

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I have to respectfully disagree.

ProtonVPN uses the same infrastructure , resources and protocols as every other VPN service ,
it can not be any other way .
Anyone who has built their own VPN or VPS ( using Hamachi , Streisand etc ) will confirm this .

Once matured and out of Beta , ProtonVPN will either be as good as the best currently available services ,
or it will fall short .

A new train has to use the same railroad network as any other train , or it won't go anywhere .
Same goes for the internet ..... unless someone creates a new one :)

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have to respectfully disagree.

ProtonVPN uses the same infrastructure , resources and protocols as every other VPN service ,
it can not be any other way .
Anyone who has built their own VPN or VPS ( using Hamachi , Streisand etc ) will confirm this .

Once matured and out of Beta , ProtonVPN will either be as good as the best currently available services ,
or it will fall short .

A new train has to use the same railroad network as any other train , or it won't go anywhere .
Same goes for the internet ..... unless someone creates a new one :)
I think it will be quality, and it is outside the US & the EU seeing it is based in Switzerland so it is
not part of the 14, if your familiar with that term.
I personally will be glad to give it a go ;)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I already use their mail service for anything involving finances (backwards logic I suppose; I should be using it for personal stuff to benefit from the added privacy) and I'll be keeping a very close eye on this. My VPN subscription runs out in June and I was planning to move to Windscribe but if ProtonVPN's pricing is competitive, has a robust privacy policy, no DNS or IPv6 leaks, doesn't restrict what you're able to do while using it, has a firewall and has reliable infrastructure in place to allow me to keep it on permanently then they may just have a customer. Hopefully once it's out of beta they'll offer a free trail so I can test and judge for myself.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I already use their mail service for anything involving finances (backwards logic I suppose; I should be using it for personal stuff to benefit from the added privacy) and I'll be keeping a very close eye on this. My VPN subscription runs out in June and I was planning to move to Windscribe but if ProtonVPN's pricing is competitive, has a robust privacy policy, no DNS or IPv6 leaks, doesn't restrict what you're able to do while using it, has a firewall and has reliable infrastructure in place to allow me to keep it on permanently then they may just have a customer. Hopefully once it's out of beta they'll offer a free trail so I can test and judge for myself.
So far no info on such yet

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
"Regular VPN does not protect against surveillance targeting their servers, Proton VPN’s X was designed with this threat in mind. It protects your internet activity by bouncing off traffic in the following sequence. X mode, connects you to one of our X nodes before connecting to your chosen VPN server. VPN server surveillance will only reveal our dedicated, high capacity X nodes within secure facilities in Switzerland, Sweden or Iceland, and your identity cannot be revealed."

This looks like cascading servers to hide the exact location of the VPN server from your ISP. This is a very useful feature IMO because even if the main VPN server is compromised the attackers won't know where the traffic is being sent to

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
"Regular VPN does not protect against surveillance targeting their servers, Proton VPN’s X was designed with this threat in mind. It protects your internet activity by bouncing off traffic in the following sequence. X mode, connects you to one of our X nodes before connecting to your chosen VPN server. VPN server surveillance will only reveal our dedicated, high capacity X nodes within secure facilities in Switzerland, Sweden or Iceland, and your identity cannot be revealed."

This looks like cascading servers to hide the exact location of the VPN server from your ISP. This is a very useful feature IMO because even if the main VPN server is compromised the attackers won't know where the traffic is being sent to
Looks like double-hopping in some other VPN services. Windscribe also has this.

And if connected to Tor I wonder how the speed would be like? 5 hops in total....

Last edited:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I think it's for paid users of ProtonMail only, right?

Or for free ProtonMail users as well but say use of less servers?

How about independent subscription of its VPN for non-Proton users?

Where's its server list?

And it did not reveal many of its features.......

It says here How do I download ProtonVPN? - ProtonVPN Support

"To be able to use ProtonVPN during the beta stage you need to be a Visionary member."

So yes it looks like only paid ProtonMail users for now.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks for featuring this on Twitter MT :)
That was very cool of you.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
hi

...some news about the new service:

ProtonVPN is now available to the public after extensive beta testing and a year in development.

Better yet, ProtonVPN has a number of subscription packages, and the cheapest option is free. If you like the service, you can upgrade or downgrade at any time. Essentially, the public vpn or "virtual private network" routes your connection to the internet through secure channels that travel through multiple countries.

source (cnet.com): ProtonVPN helps keep your digital life private for free

___edit_______

some guys on the wilders security forums are testing this VPN. Their opinions:
ProtonVPN with Secure Core (wilders security forums)

Last edited:

Elpibe

Level 3
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
I think it will be quality, and it is outside the US & the EU seeing it is based in Switzerland so it is
not part of the 14, if your familiar with that term.
I personally will be glad to give it a go ;)
According to this page: That One Privacy Site | Detailed VPN Comparison Chart its a cooperative of the fourteen eyes. Im reading a lots of webs to see which VPN ill get when my Cyberghost MT key ends and i thinks there are a lot of cheapers (like 50% of their current prize) and better (or at least similar/equal) options, than Protonvpn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.