The Real Threat Of Artificial Intelligence

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Interesting reading :)

I think when AI will reach human intelligence level, then at that point a new era will born and it will be difficult to predict in detail how much it can contain. But a dimension of concern is that we do not manage to solve the problem of scalable control: how to design an advanced artificial intelligence that will continue to behave as expected by acting as an extension of the human mind, even if this intelligence is increased to arbitrarily high levels ?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
We are thus facing two developments that do not sit easily together: enormous wealth concentrated in relatively few hands and enormous numbers of people out of work. What is to be done?
As the author mentioned in the article, I'd like to think that by the time AI starts replacing low-skilled workers en mass we'll all be sitting happy with our universal basic income. If companies are going to be replacing their entire workforce with automated machines then they need to be taxed appropriately and paid back to the workforce that was dismissed.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I have studied and worked with ML/Ai quite a bit the last 2-3 years, and I can tell you, we have nothing to worry about. Sure, there might be a few people losing their jobs, or whatever, but the technology has pretty much peaked for now.

ML/Ai will continue to improve slightly over time, but all of the big breakthroughs are probably behind us.

This is mainly because the algorithms and models that have been developed the last 3-5 years are sooo incredibly great, there is simply little room for improvement.

Although, who knows, we might be surprised ;).

The more likely scenario is another Ai Winter, when investors realize this and funding dries up.

AI winter - Wikipedia

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Every time I hear AI mentioned and the potential threat, I think of this...
M2144tb.jpg

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Look, lets be real here, before AI ever comes close to being even the slimmest of threats we will have blown ourselves to bits.
We stand in the way of our own humanity and progress and always will. ;)

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Look, lets be real here, before AI ever comes close to being even the slimmest of threats we will have blown ourselves to bits.
We stand in the way of our own humanity and progress and always will. ;)
Very true ;). I am not sure if you guys are familiar with the The Kardashev Scale, but it is quite interesting.

The Kardashev Scale - Type I, II, III, IV & V Civilization

And basically, there is some theory that says that civilizations are unable to reach type 1 or 2 (I forget which one), because of what _CyberGhosT_ mentioned... we will have blown ourselves to bits by then ;).

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Defense departments around the world are salivating to weaponize A.I's.

Type V, Q from Star Trek.

MBYX

Level 1
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
elon musk i think had the idea of taxing companies that produce and use this future AI and using that tax to provide a standardized income for all, social welfare payments. In theory it sounds good but then so does communism. its open to corruption.
Its quiet the issue, sure AI to a level where we can all kick our feet up, but what motivation does the AI have ot work for us, if its true AI wouldn't it work to benefit itself, wouldn't we be a hinderer to that?

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
This is such an interesting subject!
I believe I've read a few months ago that there were huge steps made in trying to develop a brain-computer interface in order to successfully augment and enhance human cognitive performance so human race could become as effective as AI is. It's an exciting idea and we already know how amazing plasticity of human brain is (e.g. accepting artificial limbs) but some aspects of it scare the hell out of me. Just imagine the possibility of infecting that neural lace with some kind of ransomware. :eek:

Reactions: simmerskool

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
We really don't know as information about Artificial Intelligence will evolve through the next generations.

Yes we encounter that AI is engage in I.T security but it can happen to other technology fields as mentioned in the article; remember that a bunch of reference information can produce another unique information which will affect on the human life.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.