Status
Not open for further replies.

cptredsox

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
hi!

iam looking for a security suite or simply AV/FW combination that works fine together. i would prefer a suite to minimize the running processes that are running in the background. Its hard to see through all the hyped suites and paid reviews, so which ones can you recommend ? I would like a suite not to heavy on performance, with good AV and FW, HIPS would be nice but isnt a must have .. i already throwed a look at the following candidates:

-Comodo with CIS Pro 2012
-Eset Smart Security 5
-Emsisoft Internet Security Pack

D

Deleted member 178

CIS Pro is not necessary, just the free version, it has the same features except support. it is the lighter in RAM usage.

ESET is very good too and the lighter on system despite its high use on RAM.

Emsi Pack is my favorite (for features, prevention & detection) , but heavier in resources than the 2 others.

If you dont need an HIPS, Avast + Windows Firewall will be the best choice in Protection/Lightness

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
All the 3 u mentioned are current best in my opinion.

If you don't want a great HIPS but a really light suite than ESET is just great you will love it!!
If you want a Great detection + Good firewall + Good HIPS go for Emsisoft
If you want Good Detection + Great Firewall + Great HIPS go for Comodo its free, no need to use Pro as the only added feature is the Support.

ESET is lighter than Comodo, and Comodo is lighter than Emsisoft.

P.S. If you can tell us more about your type of usage like gaming or surfing, etc., and your level of risk (i.e. How often do you get infected) then may be we can suggest you other alternatives.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Internet suites theoretically provide the best AV + Firewall combination with minimal or no conflicts.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Try ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall- http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-free-antivirus-firewall.htm#

Most of the antivirus features are the same as Kaspersky since it uses its AV engine. ZoneAlarm now includes Advanced Download Protection by Kaspersky for free.

Enjoy!!:D

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Littlebits said:
Try ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall- http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-free-antivirus-firewall.htm#

Most of the antivirus features are the same as Kaspersky since it uses its AV engine. ZoneAlarm now includes Advanced Download Protection by Kaspersky for free.

Never really used it but have read a lot that its pop up are rather more annoying that comodo, any change in that ???

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Oct 20, 2012
Littlebits said:

Same engine is not the same database, so obviously not same protection ;)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
madyrocksin said:
Littlebits said:

Never really used it but have read a lot that its pop up are rather more annoying that comodo, any change in that ???

I have used ZoneAlarm for years and it has never had as many popups as Comodo, it doesn't even have HIPS, it is just a network firewall.

Same engine is not the same database, so obviously not same protection

Incorrect is uses an older Kaspersky engine but the exact same database, it gets its updates directly from Kaspersky servers. However the real-time protection features are not the same.

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Oct 20, 2012
Littlebits said:
Incorrect is uses an older Kaspersky engine but the exact same database, it gets its updates directly from Kaspersky servers. However the real-time protection features are not the same.

Well, this AV can download database from K servers, but i answer you in the post that say that have the same engine that Kaspersky, if download the same database okey.

But its clear that the same engine is not the same database :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I like KIS 2013 as well as Eset Smart Security.Hopefully the memory issues will be fixed in Smart Security 6 by its official release

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
KLMALWAREHUNTER said:
Littlebits said:

Well, this AV can download database from K servers, but i answer you in the post that say that have the same engine that Kaspersky, if download the same database okey.

But its clear that the same engine is not the same database :)

As far as the database, the signature-based malware definitions are exactly the same for detection feature. The Protection features are different, ZoneAlarm uses its own front-end protection. ZoneAlarm uses an older Kaspersky engine, Kaspersky never license its latest engine to third-parties.

So basically the detection is the same for on-demand scans but the protection may differ. What makes ZoneAlarm just as strong as Kaspersky is its Advanced Download Protection, which scans each downloaded file for malware before letting it download to your system.

Most infections come from downloading files.

Thanks.:D

cptredsox

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks for the fast replies, from what ive seen this board is really amazing :) i mostly use my PC for gaming and mixing music. I dont get infections that much. i wanted one of the suites or combinations i mentioned cause i had bad experience with some of the big suites like Norton or Kaspersky, i like more Independent suites.

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Oct 20, 2012
cptredsox said:
Thanks for the fast replies, from what ive seen this board is really amazing :) i mostly use my PC for gaming and mixing music. I dont get infections that much. i wanted one of the suites or combinations i mentioned cause i had bad experience with some of the big suites like Norton or Kaspersky, i like more Independent suites.

If the problem that you have with Norton and Kaspersky are beacause are heavy on the system, i recomend you that test a trial version of KIS [Kaspersky Internet Security 2013] is very light that other versions and decide. If dont like, can test another trial version of other products and decide the best from you computer and you requirements :)

KIS trial [30 days] http://www.kaspersky.com/internet-security-latest-versions

Take care.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
cptredsox said:

I say Look no further ESET will just serve Right :D

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Littlebits said:
As far as the database, the signature-based malware definitions are exactly the same for detection feature. The Protection features are different, ZoneAlarm uses its own front-end protection. ZoneAlarm uses an older Kaspersky engine, Kaspersky never license its latest engine to third-parties.

So basically the detection is the same for on-demand scans but the protection may differ. What makes ZoneAlarm just as strong as Kaspersky is its Advanced Download Protection, which scans each downloaded file for malware before letting it download to your system.

Most infections come from downloading files.

Thanks.:D

I agree to that, even on independent Lab Test Zonealarm has performed excellently, and i think some one mentioned above that it had a lot of pop up, to that i would say before it had a lot of popups but it's not the case with the latest version and as Littlebits suggested ZoneAlarm AV + Firewall is an excellent AV+FW combo, Zonealarm is a highly regarded pure firewall and i don't think ill need to explain about Kaspersky :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.