Status
Not open for further replies.

Durew

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 1, 2017
Hi everyone,

Like everyone in this subforum I hope to hear some suggestions that may improve my security setup.

Here follow some notes about my set-up that I felt I could note describe in the form:

• Though the last update of my security set-up was today, it was no more than a firewall update to give google chrome network access and stopping EMET from killing part of google chrome before it could access the network. The latest software addition to my security configuration is Winpatrol anti-ransom, installed about 3 weeks ago. Tinywall and Winpatrol PLUS are quite new too. The rest of the configuration I've had for years.
    update: winpatrol anti-ransom gave too many false positives and had barely any added value over the BB of EAM and has been removed
  • Please note that the exploit protection of Malwarebytes does not function inside the sandbox.
  • By default I use a standard user account.
  • Update: adblock plus does the ads (allows acceptable ads), ublock the tracking and malware-domains

I thinks that's it. Please let me know your opinions and suggestions.

Regards,
Durew

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Great that you're using a Standard Account.
  • First of all, you have a good overkill with your real-time protection. Got MB testing license? MalwareBytes and Emsisoft are both anti-malware and you don't need both running together. You might want to disable "malware protection" in MB.
  • Have you enabled anti-exploit in Malwarebytes? Do NOT protect the same apps with both EMET and Malwarebytes, make sure to configure the two accordingly.
  • WinAntiRansom and WP Plus are nice additions. However if you've not purchased them yet, you can discard them, or atleast the WAR. Emsisoft has a very powerful Behavior Blocker already and unless you make mistakes, you'll be protected by it well.
  • Also having 'ransomware protection" ON in MB makes 3 anti-ransom protections on your system. Please choose 1 of the 3. More than 1 can mess things up during a malware attack and might make file recovery difficult too.
  • You might not need NoScript since you're running FF in sandboxie. If you're fine with that, there you go.
  • You can add Zemana antimalware to your on-demand scanners.
  • Why not update to the Creators Update? It has important security additions along with features updates and the coming version will be even better!
You can add TinyWall to your real-time protection field above.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Hello and thanks for sharing but:
1-I suggest you remove Malwarebytes fast as fast possible(I'm going to this too):psome one(an expert) tested the Malwarebytes anti exploit free and the paid version for me and both failed.its not effective! also, you don't need Malwarebytes as a real-time protection because Emsi is 10x better.

2- You have Emsisoft which Is good and more than enough you don't need WinPatrol anti-ransomware(you really wasted your money)you could go for Emsisoft+hitman pro alert this is so much better(also from what I read they work with each other).because you could get an exploit instance of an another ransomware protection(as parsh said Emsi catch all kind of ransomware!)
3-when you have3 real-time protection your system goes worse.because Emsi wants to scan a file that you downloaded or want to open and at the same time Malwarebytes want to do that too!
Read these words with brain:pfrom an expert in F-secure forum:
Compatibility between anti-malware products is a tricky thing to verify. Two anti-malware products might see each others virus signatures and detect them as viruses. One might try to quarantine a virus and the other one might block this operation due to it being a virus. Also if there is any hooking done (DeepGuard) then two anti-malware products might hook over the other's hooks, preventing them from working properly. These compatibility issues are hard to notice - everything seems to work fine but then at a critical moment the protection may not works as designed.

So the compatiblity check is mostly due to us (in R&D) not having time to verify dozens of other anti-malware products not interfering with out product. It does not mean that we have necessarily found a compatibility issue. It's simpler to just say "use one anti-malware product" and not worry about these things.

In the end, it's your computer and your choice what to do, but keep in mind that running multiple anti-malware products may mean that you don't have full protection from any of them.

Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Just replace Adblock with uBlock Origin and add HTTPS Everywhere.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: frogboy

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You would be fine with EAM,TinyWall & SBIE for real time protection.
Agree with replacing AdBlock with uBlock Origin and adding HTTPS Everywhere.
Secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Reactions: JM Safe and frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.